Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VK011 and high CPU usage lately
Hi,

Just wondering what type of CPU usage those using the VK011 driver are seeing? I've had a very sluggish system for the last few months and just got around to figuring out why. I think, but am not positive, this started with ver. 3.4.5 and continues with 3.4.17, but I've also added many things logic wise in that time too...

My CPU usage is constantly between 35-40% with small spikes going higher. Using the new pause driver feature I was able to see that when I pause the VK011, my CPU usage falls to <5% with small spikes here and there. I'm really not sure what to do, my polling interval is 60secs with 4 temp probes connected. Task manager shows SYSTEM as the process eating this CPU time up (about 15% and down to 2% when the driver is paused). I'm unsure what that means.

This issue also coincides with me using the VK011 temp values in some HVAC logic so am unsure if it's some logic I added that is causing this or something beyond my control. I added the logic right when I upgraded to 3_4_5.

so:

1. what CPU usage do others see with newer CQC versions and VK011?
2. Any ideas what I should be checking for in logic or logs that may help further debugging? Standard log is clean with VK011 on high verbosity.

Things tried so far with little to no change in CPU usage:

- Paused any Event server items with VK011 field usage in logic
- Paused Logic server (using Vk011 files in there for avg temps)
- Closed any clients/viewers connected to CQC (as they display temps)

Regards,

-Mike
Update:

After reading more on basic windows stuff. I think I've eliminated this as a CQC specific issue. I fired up Hyperterminal and connected to the VK011 and guess what. All of a sudden I get that same SYSTEM process at 10-15% CPU. So must be a port usage issue/overhead thing? Still interested if anyone else sees this type of CPU usage with this device though.
That's pretty wierd that it would happen using Hyperterm. When you do that, what process do you see in the task list that's using that CPU?
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Dean Roddey Wrote:That's pretty wierd that it would happen using Hyperterm. When you do that, what process do you see in the task list that's using that CPU?

The Process name in task manager is:System for User:SYSTEM. So tough to say what's in there...

Maybe it's because I am using a USB to serial converter and it may be inefficient or something.

One another note, I was reading about some of the 3.4.19 improvements and decided to install that version in case I was having some of the name resolution issues too. Now that it's installed the system is WAY snappier. It's back to the way I remember so I bet I've had this CPU utilization on the VK011 all along which I attributed lately to dragging the system down...still a bit strange though isn't it.
Shaky Wrote:The Process name in task manager is:System for User:SYSTEM. So tough to say what's in there...

I would almost bet that's a USB to server converter driver problem if you are seeing it there, since that's the context that the drivers would probably run in, or at least have their time charged to.

Quote:One another note, I was reading about some of the 3.4.19 improvements and decided to install that version in case I was having some of the name resolution issues too. Now that it's installed the system is WAY snappier. It's back to the way I remember so I bet I've had this CPU utilization on the VK011 all along which I attributed lately to dragging the system down...still a bit strange though isn't it.

Cool, good to hear that all that work is paying off. And yeh, having that CPU suckage probably wasn't helping either. What type of USB to serial box are you using?
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Dean Roddey Wrote:Cool, good to hear that all that work is paying off. And yeh, having that CPU suckage probably wasn't helping either. What type of USB to serial box are you using?

It's a MosChip 7703 based convertor. I've ordered a different one and will try to see if it changes things or not.

Still nice and fast after a few days running 3.4.19 now. Even my Iphone/Riva client is more responsive.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Curious About Usage Post Public Domain kblagron 17 1,732 09-24-2021, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Old Version pushing CPU usage to 100% sic0048 7 1,293 05-25-2021, 03:34 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  High Level Triggers and Action rules admin screen kfly 1 2,064 11-01-2017, 05:21 PM
  Driver stuck on High znelbok 4 2,096 06-21-2016, 04:36 AM
Last Post: znelbok
  CQC spazzing - high CPU bbrendon 7 2,747 01-14-2014, 10:27 PM
  Spurious log message debugger high rbroders 1 1,255 11-15-2012, 10:01 PM
  Increment Decrement Buttons usage help Shaky 1 1,810 11-22-2011, 10:24 PM
  High CPU Usage for cqcserver personalt 6 2,531 08-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Last Post: bph
  High Level Question - Differnt Methods for MP3 Support/Streaming Radio personalt 0 1,574 06-10-2009, 07:23 AM
Last Post: personalt
  Question - Usage Logic samgreco 3 1,773 05-30-2009, 07:26 AM
Last Post: samgreco