Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for touch panel PC's
I posted this on AVS but I wanted to know if anyone using CQC had any thoughts....

I am looking for (4) touch panel PC's for my home automation install.

I am looking for:

Integrated PC and touch panel display
12"-15" screen size
Flush in wall mounting with back box

My top contenders are the Borg 15" and the Vidabox 12".

Any thought on these two displays?

Is there another good choice that I need to be looking into?
Here is a lot of 15 inch Planar screens:
http://cgi.ebay.com/lot-9-planar-lcd-tou...1496wt_111

If you take these out of the cases, they mount quite nicely in a wall. You would need to get a small computer on the other side of the wall but I bet would be cheaper than an all in one and might be easier to install.
I have the Borg 10" and I'm not sure I would recommend it. It has this touch area under the display, which at first seems like a great idea, but it really doesn't integrate correctly with Windows. For example, there is a button to turn off or on the backlight, but Windows itself can't turn on or off the backlight. I've submitted bug requests, and they have addressed some, but it seems like the utilities are written is Asia, and things often get lost in translation.

I really don't have tough requirements. I expect the backlight to turn off after a period of non-use, and I expect it to light up again with a touch of the screen, but as of yet, I haven't seen that work.
I have worked with the Vidabox 8 or 10" displays and I can't fault them yet. They run XPE, and run quite well. The front face clips on and off easily, they have a camera and speakers built in and has a back box for pre-install.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of PC's like this on the market.

It would be great to see some alternatives here (especially cheaper options)

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
You could also look at these as an option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2x-Red-Radio-RelayTo...588c94bf3f

I think they are ill-advertised as I'm pretty sure these are the iptouch units as opposed to the RelayTouch Unit (which is what I have). I could also be wrong..

I wish they were that price when I got mine :-x As said I have the RelayTouch which basically requires extending the VGA & USB touchscreen from screen to card. The iptouch on the other hand uses CAT5 to extend itself using a system by ncomputing.

Anyways I find the relaytouch absolutely fine in a commercial installation. I wouldnt worry about any marks on the outer trims as these only came with primer on them new anyhow, so you would have to put your own finish on them way.

Not quite sure how CQC works under the n-computing application however. Im sure theres other posts on this matter however.

Anyways, another option.....
The BORG 15" comes with 2GB of DOM. Is that enough to run the IV? My templates will have some heavy graphics. They offer an upgrade to 4GB.

The RAM is 1GB. Should I upgraded to 2GB?

They offer it in XPe or W7 (WES). Any suggestions?
avtexan Wrote:The BORG 15" comes with 2GB of DOM. Is that enough to run the IV? My templates will have some heavy graphics. They offer an upgrade to 4GB.

The RAM is 1GB. Should I upgraded to 2GB?

They offer it in XPe or W7 (WES). Any suggestions?

For a pure IV, even 2GB would be overkill but if it's not much more expensive, I'd go ahead do it for future safety margin. Maybe you end up running some of the server components on it at some point.

Normally I'd say XPe, but I don't know the situation with Win7 on these types of tablets. Compared to Vista, XPe would be able to be far lower resource consumption. But they may have addressed a lot of that in Win7, I dunno. You do have to be careful about XPe in that it's not just a single version of the OS, it's a kit for building OS images and what's there depends on what the OEM decided to include. But given that these inwalls aren't resource constrained the image is probably a full one.

You certainly don't need anything in Win7 specifically, so you could use XPe. But, OTOH, Win7 is the latest and greatest and if resources aren't an issue it might be better to go that route.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Thanks Dean.

What about the RAM? Is 1GB OK or would you bump it to 2GB.
avtexan Wrote:Thanks Dean.

What about the RAM? Is 1GB OK or would you bump it to 2GB.

As long as you strip down the OS (in the case of XPe it probably already is), then 1GB should be plenty for a dedicated IV client. For Windows 7 you can just turn off some of the services and whatnot that aren't needed.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CQC for me? iPod touch interface questions Mukha 14 6,353 05-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Recommendations video switch / touch panel mrtank 9 5,404 07-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Mark Stega
  Touch Panel overlay kit martinmcc 0 1,164 07-23-2009, 05:52 AM
Last Post: martinmcc
  in-wall touch panels? justin650 8 3,156 10-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Last Post: rbroders
  TV inplace of touch screen???? stinggray 17 4,394 09-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Last Post: IVB
  HP's touch screen computer Brightan 3 2,061 08-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Last Post: sic0048
  LCD Panel? what to choice for CQC? bjkiller 15 5,423 04-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Automator
  Liliput - Front Panel Express Automator 3 2,105 04-25-2007, 03:28 AM
Last Post: Automator
  Touch Screen Sharing Device rhamer 4 2,287 04-17-2007, 06:28 AM
Last Post: znelbok
  Restarting the whole Touch Screen Dilemma Ed Nelson 13 4,106 02-28-2007, 06:01 AM
Last Post: penngray