Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upgrade error - Urgent help
I am trying to upgrade from 3.3.0 to the latest beta (3.4.12) and it keeps failing.

I ran a previous version install 3.4.1 and it went fine but running 3.4.12 does not want to work.

Have tried upgrade and cutom install

Worked f ine in testing and on home install.

extract from log file
Code:
'ProgramData' is not a key in the environment
}
02/10 10:31:01-CQCInst: CQCInst, CQCInstInstallerThread, CQCInst_ThisFacility.cpp.251, Status/App Status
{
   Failed to create output directories
}
02/10 10:31:01-CQCInst: CQCInst, CQCInstInstallerThread, CQCInst_ThisFacility.cpp.257, Status/App Status
{
   CIDLib exception in install thread
}
02/10 10:31:01-CQCInst: CQCInst, CQCInstInstallerThread, CQCInst_ThisFacility.cpp.251, Status/App Status
{
   Installation failed, recovering
}

Log file it refers to is attached

Mick

Attached Files
.txt   CQCInstall.Txt (Size: 2.39 KB / Downloads: 0)
.zip   CQCInst_3280.zip (Size: 399 bytes / Downloads: 0)
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Quote:Oops, the installer for 3.4.12 isn't going to work for folks on XP (or WHS versions based on the pre-Vista code base), because I stupidly checked for the ProgramData environment variable, which doesn't exist pre-Vista I don't think. This was done as a preliminary move towards getting rid of the UAC (the rest of which I coded yesterday.)

Oh well, I'll get it another way in the .13 version, just hold out for that. You can also get it as one of the 'special paths' via an API call, instead of depending on it being in the environment. So I've changed the installer and the other place where that path is gotten to do it that way.

Are you on XP/WHS? You probably need to roll back and wait for .13...
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
Thankyou - Yes, WHS. My testing was done on 2003 server whcih worked fine.

Just ran 3.4.11 fine.

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Yeh, I posted about this the day before yesterday or so. I accidentally made the installer dependent on that environment variable, which it turns out was only introduced as of Vista. So in XP or XP based code bases, it's not there and the installer fails. Doh!
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Next issue - 11 wont install on a XPE tablet (vPad).

The command propt looking window opens, slow to invoke and then it produces an attrib not recognsed message (2 off).
Last line is invoking installer.......

but then it closes and nothing happens.

Also, Squeezebox driver now cactus.
A Macro Parse event occured. Set logging to high but nothing extra reported.

Also noted that the logging keeps getting set to off on this driver when I navigate away from it.

I hate upgrading - creates more probelms that it fixes (not just CQC but everything in general). There are other issues as well.

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
znelbok Wrote:Next issue - 11 wont install on a XPE tablet (vPad).

The command propt looking window opens, slow to invoke and then it produces an attrib not recognsed message (2 off).
Last line is invoking installer.......

Hmmm.... Not sure what that might be, though it could be that there's some missing command that'snot in the OS image on the vPAD. Edit hte CQCSetup.cmd file to remove the ECHO OFF and try it and see what its trying to do when it stops.

Quote:Also, Squeezebox driver now cactus.

I imagine you probably have to get the latest version since changes will have been made and a few things were fixed wrt to the CML language that had slipped through, so it's probably one of those issues.

I would kind of argue that these types of things are more likely if you wait a long time to upgrade than they are if you upgrade regularly. Because most of them are probably just simple things, and there might have only be one small thing every couple releases, but if you wait a lot of releases, then there seems like a lot of them. But generally it's going to be just one or two things for any one person, it's just that because of the nature of the systems you build with CQC one thing wrong can cause a lot of things to seemingly fail.
Dean Roddey
I think the upgrade also stuffed up the triggered events as well. It was working before but now I am finding all sorts of anomolies in the actions.

Lots of little things like extracting a string from a variable. The start from was set to 1 and not 18, other simple little things like that as well.

As for regular updating - thats fine when its your own system, but in a customers install, you dont need to be visiting every month for upgrades - especially if it is working. if it aint broke......

Will post back after I remove the echo.

I have seen the attrib message before, but it does not ususally stop it from invoking - usually seen on xpe intalls.
Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
The most likely issue with the driver is something that had to be fixed. There were a few things in CML that were never supposed to be allowable, but they had somehow slipped through. So those had to be fixed and the CML parser will now complain about them. Those are unfortunate but necessary, since those things that weren't supposed to happen were dangerous and it would only be luck if they weren't causing problems.

If you are using any CML macros, that might have affected them as well. There were a couple things, but look through the release notes in the main installer directory. It lists the known upgrade issues.

One of them was using the same string as the source and target of an operation. That was not ever supposed to happpen, but it wasn't being caught. The results are undefined and could be bad. So you might have some of those that are now causing an error.
Dean Roddey
rem'd out the echo and piped the output to a file (attached)

Attached Files
.txt   log.txt (Size: 1.45 KB / Downloads: 2)
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Dean Roddey Wrote:If you are using any CML macros, that might have affected them as well. There were a couple things, but look through the release notes in the main installer directory. It lists the known upgrade issues.
Not using Macro's, the problems were in the actions of a triggered event. Not a place I would expect changes, but on the surface it would appear that something went astray.

I will have to load the backup onto a dev machine and cross check them all now.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video How to Upgrade from 5.X.X to 6.0.X sic0048 8 1,330 07-05-2021, 06:12 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  client driver error after upgrade to 4.8.1 batwater 1 3,238 12-31-2015, 11:39 AM
  Auto generation Error dpass 6 5,434 06-15-2014, 01:22 PM
Last Post: pbohannon
  Auto-gen error finish.06 6 5,119 06-10-2014, 02:32 AM
Last Post: finish.06
  Not seeing loads (lighting) after upgrade to Beta pbohannon 4 4,193 06-09-2014, 07:26 AM
Last Post: pbohannon
  Unknown Error pjgregory 2 3,511 05-16-2014, 06:08 AM
  Media Repo Item Browser error pinballmark 10 9,366 09-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Last Post: pinballmark
  Getting Error when working with Templates lymlyt22 7 5,988 07-15-2013, 10:50 AM
  Error when trying to use Room Config - Auto Gen jokermac 4 4,678 04-19-2013, 06:46 PM
  913 Small Error DaveB 0 2,197 02-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Last Post: DaveB