Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ideal PC hardware for CQC
Would a single core atom 1.6 be enough for CQC. I have been looking at some of the fanless options. I am concerned about noise as the rack is in my home theater room. My clients will be the Borg XPe PC's and my audio data will be on my NAS.
avtexan Wrote:Would a single core atom 1.6 be enough for CQC. I have been looking at some of the fanless options. I am concerned about noise as the rack is in my home theater room. My clients will be the Borg XPe PC's and my audio data will be on my NAS.

If the clients are standalone machines then all the server is doing is running drivers and serving up templates, macros, images, etc... Unless you have a lot of clients it should be fine. Just don't scrimp on on memory so that the OS will have space to cache most of the data being served up and it'll be quickly available. If you want to run a couple RIVA based clients as well, it should be ok. Put 2GB of memory in it and you should be ok.

Someone with real world experience with this specific setup may disagree with and I'll defer to them, but I think it hsould be ok.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
SomeWhatLost Wrote:not sure I understand the question? IPMI gives you complete remote access to the server... fiddle with bios, install windows, power control, serial port redirection (I haven't figured out what use this is from an IPMI point of view?),virtual CD/floppy,various health monitoring... probably be great for a CI/Pro installer/IP/whatever the politically correct description is that wont upset AnthonyZ :-) (I forgot what description he didn't like...:-( so we should just assume I am using one he does like)... do remote monitoring/install/fixing/tweaking... make the CI life easier, probably make the customer happier too... win-win
Am I that grumpy? Wait. Don't answer that question...CI is the one that bugs me most. EST is another real winner. Flippin' irritating.
Recovering (quasi) ex-professional integrator...wait...scratch that. I'm back in the field and should probably have my head examined...
HAI, UPB, Parasound, Global Cache GC100 and IR learner, DatalogDB, Barix Barionet (I need to buy another one of these!), Weather, RFID, Logic Server
EST...LOL
I love that commercial.
"If you've plugged in a lamp, your an EST (electronic systems technician)." Then there is the guy counting Cat5 cables in a switch.

Phil

*edit* To answer the question about the atom processsor, I was using an atom based board with no issues whats so ever for my MS. I also had MyMovies server installed on it and running. I since moved to another unit with more power/speed/ram as I am running the same plus it is my audio player for squeezebox driver on the main floor, stores my music collection only, and will be running virtual machines for IV's.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Server hardware question rhosch 3 2,117 10-02-2019, 11:19 AM
Last Post: rhosch
  Server Hardware for WebRiva greyjeep 4 2,360 08-04-2019, 07:15 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Interface Viewer Hardware MikeW 10 8,624 01-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Last Post: NightLight
  Set up a hardware DVD video library yarwoob 15 11,148 04-07-2013, 04:29 AM
Last Post: Bugman
  Will this hardware do? rtarver 11 5,366 06-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Last Post: rtarver
  Best current Hardware/Software Media Player brathnach 18 7,686 05-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  What other hardware interfaces are there? Sean 5 3,039 01-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Last Post: beelzerob
  Hardware System - ELK or HAI? flik 11 5,446 12-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  Server hardware question Lershac 6 2,902 05-02-2009, 03:26 AM
Last Post: jkish
  CQC controlled hardware dabreeze 3 1,984 10-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Target