Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homelink and cqc
Has any one integrated homelink with their cqc system. I think I saw that wayne dalton has a homelink/zwave gateway but not really sure how that works.
I am guessing that no one has this running.

I am going to do some research into garage door openers. Maybe I can get the remote part and use a contact closure or relay to trigger an event in cqc.
I think most people simply use a relay with their garage door opener. All you have to do is wire the relay across the button contact points. Then set the relay to close for 1 or 2 seconds each time you energize it. This will mimic a person actually pressing the garage door opener.

You can wire it across the wall mount garage door opener and continue to use it normally too. If you don't want to run wire to the garage, and have a spare wireless opener, you can use that too.

Eitherway, it is super easy, and doesn't require expensive equipment. As long as you have a spare relay, there is little to no cost. If you don't have a spare relay, then there is the cost to buy one that CQC can control, but I suspect that is still much less than the Homelink gateway.
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
homelink controls the garage door as it is. I want to use one of the homelink buttons to turn on the porch light, set the thermostat etc..
potts.mike Wrote:homelink controls the garage door as it is. I want to use one of the homelink buttons to turn on the porch light, set the thermostat etc..

Ah, OK. That is obviously different. However, I would think that you could still build some sort of logic into the CQC system to do this automatically.

When would you really be using the homelogic buttons to control something? I would think only when arriving home or leaving. If that is true, then with a couple of variables, I think you could get what you want. But it does rely on having an alarm system that CQC can interface with.

I do both things you listed already (lights and thermostat), but I do rely on my ELK for this. That is because it tracks both the status of the garage door (simple contact sensor) as well as the occupancy status (via the alarm arming state). Without the ELK, I couldn't do any of this.

For example, if the garage door opens, and the alarm is set "Away" or "Vacation" then set the thermostat to my normal temperature, and if it is night out, then turn light XYZ on. Or if all the above is true, but it is after midnight, then turn light XYZ on 30%. Etc, etc, etc.

I set the thermostat lower when the alarm is set and back to normal when the alarm is disarmed, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about getting another toy ;-). I'm just trying to throw different ideas out there.
Other systems used:
Take a look at this zwave article. Also, here is the gateway manual.

It provides a decent amount of information. According to the article, the gateway will only work with one homelink remote. So only 1 car will have the ability to turn on lights, etc via the gateway.

Hopefully that helps.
Other systems used:
yeah, I dont have an alarm to trigger status off of or else i would go that direction. I am using an ultrasonic sensor to tell whether the garage door is open or not. I dont even park in the garage, I just want to use one of the three homelink buttons to trigger an event in cqc.

I will read those links but I think that buying a 50$ garage door tx/rx and connecting it to a contact closure sort of input might be the easiest