Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Media repository hell
Disclaimer: My IQ has dropped 40 points in reading all the various posts on different media repository options in the last week so any snickering or jokes about my intelligence will be much appreciated.

I am perplexed on the best approach for media repository on CQC. I have a small library of music about 1700 songs currently managed by Itunes. I originally tried to set up an Itunes repository using the newer Itunes driver and Itunes tray helper app and made sure all of them were on the same computer ie the MS. The actual MP3 files are on another computer on a external HD that is shared on the network it is not a NAS. No luck kept giving me fatal errors could not get the driver to connect just sat there waiting for config. So did some more forum searching and determined I may not have been alone. It appears that most people have given up on that and went to squeezebox solution.

My questions are 1) Should I have given up on the Itunes2 :confused: driver or is it working now and am I just an idiot? 2) If the answer to 1 (Not the idiot part) is yes then if I use squeeze center do I need a squeezebox to actually make CQC play the music? Note: I downloaded squeezecenter server and got it to recognize my itunes library albiet I do need to monkey with the album art to get it right.
LOL, I was in the same boat, except I tried iTunes and JRiver and finally went to Squeezebox. I like squeezebox because of the radio functionality of it. You do not need a physical player. You install squeezeplay to connect to squeezebox server. One thing I noticed, I tried to cheat and install both the server and player on one machine, but no worky worky soo.....I used an old lappy to connect to my pre-amp to stream the music. Download squeezeplay, install on another machine other then the server, and go thru the menu to find the MAC address. Once you have the MAC address you can configure CQC drivers. Each instance of the driver you setup needs the server ip and the MAC address of the player for different zones. I like it better and it plays all files. I had to convert itunes to mp3 and some took, some didn't, some had missing art.....Squeezebox is just easier and stable. Make sure you setup squeezeplay and squeezebox first and check functionality of it prior to doing anything with CQC, this way you can work out all the bugs. If everything works, add the CQC driver. Its very stable.

Phil
dogman Wrote:Disclaimer: My IQ has dropped 40 points in reading all the various posts on different media repository options in the last week so any snickering or jokes about my intelligence will be much appreciated.

I am perplexed on the best approach for media repository on CQC. I have a small library of music about 1700 songs currently managed by Itunes. I originally tried to set up an Itunes repository using the newer Itunes driver and Itunes tray helper app and made sure all of them were on the same computer ie the MS. The actual MP3 files are on another computer on a external HD that is shared on the network it is not a NAS. No luck kept giving me fatal errors could not get the driver to connect just sat there waiting for config. So did some more forum searching and determined I may not have been alone. It appears that most people have given up on that and went to squeezebox solution.

My questions are 1) Should I have given up on the Itunes2 :confused: driver or is it working now and am I just an idiot? 2) If the answer to 1 (Not the idiot part) is yes then if I use squeeze center do I need a squeezebox to actually make CQC play the music? Note: I downloaded squeezecenter server and got it to recognize my itunes library albiet I do need to monkey with the album art to get it right.

Yes, many have traveled your path...

If you decide to go the Squeezebox way, start with this thread and get the driver and some details: http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/sho...php?t=9225

There is a link to some sample templates there too that may be of some use.

I use a hardware squeezebox receiver as that gets you free Pandora access and also digital and analog audio out. Others have successfully used the software players as well.
Guysmiley: Ok well I downloaded squeezesoft and was able to get my library to play etc. Went to try and load the driver in CQC and obviously my IQ has been reduced by this mess. During the Socket Connection dialog box I used port 9090 and have tried the IP address of the MS/Squeeze server and also tried "Localhost" but neither seems to work. When I put it in and continue to the next dialog box to select a default repository there is nothing there to select and I cannot type into the field so I can't go any further. I also set up squeezeplay on another laptop. I was not sure where to find the MAC address however for the server I did find the MAC address of the player though and even tried that with the similar results but with the MAC address in that field it just gave me syntax errors. So I am just doomed to fail.
dogman Wrote:Guysmiley: Ok well I downloaded squeezesoft and was able to get my library to play etc. Went to try and load the driver in CQC and obviously my IQ has been reduced by this mess. During the Socket Connection dialog box I used port 9090 and have tried the IP address of the MS/Squeeze server and also tried "Localhost" but neither seems to work. When I put it in and continue to the next dialog box to select a default repository there is nothing there to select and I cannot type into the field so I can't go any further. I also set up squeezeplay on another laptop. I was not sure where to find the MAC address however for the server I did find the MAC address of the player though and even tried that with the similar results but with the MAC address in that field it just gave me syntax errors. So I am just doomed to fail.

'localhost' will work as the server address if the squeeze server is running on the same machine.

The repository question is there to support old style squeeze driver installations that used a CQC repository for access to the music. The newest versions of the driver use the squeeze server directly for the music so that isn't needed. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to skip the question and it has to be filled in with something. Just create a temporary repository of some sort and point the driver to that. I believe you can delete later.

I have used the squeezeslave software player before, more info about it at: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/SqueezeSlave . The default mac address for squeezeslave players is 00:00:00:00:00:01 I believe.
Well the problem is when I get to the media repository dialog box not only is there nothing in the pull down list the field is greyed out and I cannot even type anything in the field. If I hit continue I get an error message that says "One of the driver specific values was incorrect" and can go no further. So I must be doing something else wrong. I am using CQC version 3.4.4 and driver version 3.61 and SBS 7.5.2 if that helps.
dogman Wrote:Well the problem is when I get to the media repository dialog box not only is there nothing in the pull down list the field is greyed out and I cannot even type anything in the field. If I hit continue I get an error message that says "One of the driver specific values was incorrect" and can go no further. So I must be doing something else wrong. I am using CQC version 3.4.4 and driver version 3.61 and SBS 7.5.2 if that helps.

You will need to create a repository by installing a repository driver.

Go to the Admin and add a CQSL Media Repository driver.

Give it a throwaway name and point it anywhere in your filesystem.

Now go back and install the Squeeze driver and pick the repository you just created during the driver install.
As he was saying above, you'll have to load some bogus media repository, and then there'll be something to select in that list. I guess that driver supports both schemes, but it has no way to optionally have the prompt, so you get it either way even if it you don't actually need it. You can load a CQSL repository which will take up almost no resources and will let you get past the prompt.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Ok great that got the driver connected. So now can I just use the CQC audio player and create a media browser just as if I had used the CQC media repository?
dogman Wrote:Ok great that got the driver connected. So now can I just use the CQC audio player and create a media browser just as if I had used the CQC media repository?

This driver is both a player and a repository so you don't need to use an audio player and probably don't want to use a media browser.

With the current version of the driver, I suspect most start with my templates and either use them mostly as is or customize them somewhat.

As I mentioned above, there is a way supported to use the media repository (which allows you to use a media browser) to work with the driver, but you will lose some of the nicer features.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sonos media success simplextech 0 818 01-07-2020, 07:52 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  Multi media solutions. Ron Haley 14 8,765 12-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Itune Media Repository jpsavaria 6 3,951 03-18-2015, 06:56 PM
  Renderer field in Media Info (Auto-Gen) Andre 2 2,892 02-19-2015, 07:00 PM
Last Post: rtarver
  Roku as media player with CQC media control bryanb 11 7,475 01-11-2015, 05:17 PM
  Need help on choosing Media Repo & Renderer avtexan 0 1,776 09-25-2014, 06:16 PM
Last Post: avtexan
  Load personal video files into repository? brathnach 7 5,104 05-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Last Post: wuench
  Load existing ripped files into CQSL Repository? kcl 14 5,730 12-23-2012, 12:11 AM
  Best current Hardware/Software Media Player brathnach 18 7,690 05-13-2012, 07:57 PM
  Best practice of organizing media control Post 8 4,423 06-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Last Post: zaccari