Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HTPC - Movie Player Direction
I am getting ready to rebuild my CQC server and add blu-ray playing to the setup. So I am currently trying to determine what software combination would be best for me to work with CQC. I currently use my Sony777 Changer for DVD playback and the CQC Repo to store the data. Music and PVR are not a concern.

My requirements are:
Plays Blu-ray ISO/Folder/MKV (not sure which is the best way to go)
Plays Blu-ray from the Drive
CQC Controllable (obviously)
Rig will be Windows7 64bit Ultimate/NVIDIA Graphics/8GB/Corei5Quad
DVDFabHD for ripping

To summarize the options as I see them:

MyMovies/TMT
MyMovies/TMT/WMC Combo
SageTV
Boxee/XBMC (No Current CQC support/Will have to write a driver)

So a few questions:

1.) Does the CQC TMT driver work with TMT5? It doesn't seem that TMT3 is available anymore as far as I can tell.

2.) Does MyMovies work with DVD Changers (Sony777), i.e. can I store my movie info there and get a location cookie like I do with the CQC Repo.

3.) Would there be any benefits to adding WMC to the mix with MyMovies/TMT? Again not intersted in PVR, etc.

4.) Can SageTV meet my requirements to stream blu-ray, and is that controllable through CQC?

5.) With Sage, what are you guys doing for a repo? Are you just using the Sage repo on screen? Or are you combining it with something like MyMovies?

6.) Finally are there any other options anyone is using for blu-ray storage and playback?
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
1.) Does the CQC TMT driver work with TMT5? It doesn't seem that TMT3 is available anymore as far as I can tell.
-I am not sure but it would shock me if they changed the keyboard shortcuts

2.) Does MyMovies work with DVD Changers (Sony777), i.e. can I store my movie info there and get a location cookie like I do with the CQC Repo.
-Yes

3.) Would there be any benefits to adding WMC to the mix with MyMovies/TMT? Again not intersted in PVR, etc.
-MyMovies is an addin for wmc. It provides a backend database and then a front end gui that integrates into wmc.

4.) Can SageTV meet my requirements to stream blu-ray, and is that controllable through CQC?
-Sagetv can play a blu ray but it only picks the longest video and you do not get menu support.

5.) With Sage, what are you guys doing for a repo? Are you just using the Sage repo on screen? Or are you combining it with something like MyMovies?
-You can use any repository that cqc offers but I would recommend mymovies because it also integrates with the sagetv front end

6.) Finally are there any other options anyone is using for blu-ray storage and playback?
-For storage you should look at building an unraid server

One gotcha that you might have trouble with is that the wmc/tmt driver only works on 32 bit windows. You also might think about anydvdHD for ripping because it integrates with mymovies so you can rip from the mymovies gui without a mouse and keyboard.
FYI, the TMT 3.5 driver DOES NOT work with Total Media Theater 5 and TMT3 is no longer available for purchase.

1.) the executable names have changed - you can copy or rename the TMT5 executable to the udtstart.exe (the one the CQC driver is looking for), and CQC will be able to launch it.

2.) No CQC commands work, and you can't close TMT5.
Wuench

I am still looking at my options. Trying to come up with a media repo, media center and CQC control that meets my requirements is a PITA.

I have played with 7CE/MyMovies, XBMC, and Boxee so far. I have not tried Sage yet.

As far as my requirements as far as I can tell (feel free to correct me :-)):
  • Integrates with Offline Storage of DVD's (Sony DVDChanger)
    - Boxee (NO)
    - XBMC (NO, zero file size hack)
    - 7CE/MyMovies (YES)
    - Sage(???)
  • Plays Blu-ray ISO/Folder/MKV
    - Boxee (YES, upcoming version for ISO support)
    - XBMC (YES, with some hacks, getting Boxee code update soon)
    - 7CE/MyMovies (YES using TMT)
    - Sage (Requires TMT?)
  • Plays Blu-ray from the Drive
    - Boxee (Nope)
    - XBMC (YES, streams using MakeMKV)
    - 7CE/MyMovies (YES using TMT)
    - Sage (Requires TMT?)
  • CQC Controllable - This is the hard part
    - Boxee (NO - HTTP Interface)
    - XBMC (NO - HTTP/JSON Interface, NO for functions requiring TMT)
    - 7CE/MyMovies (YES with beta driver, NO for functions requiring TMT)
    - Sage (YES, NO for functions requiring TMT)

Additional Notes
- I am saying NO for TMT control because you can only get TMT5 these days and CQC can't control it, currently.
- Boxee has great Netflix and other Internet Stream support
- Boxee has very restrictive folder structure
- XBMC is the best for customizing the interface, no Netflix currently
- XBMC can access the MyMovies WebService for scraping getting info directly
- XBMC can read MyMovies XML files, .NFO files provided by MyMovies
- 7CE/MyMovies can access Netflix and other apps
Wuench

There is a MyMovies plugin for SageTV. So, you get overlap of MyMovies with CQC and SageTV, enter the info in MyMovies SQL DB once, you are basically done. Either CQC or SageTV picks up the meta data.

MyMovies works with Windows Media Center. (what potts.mike said)

The MyMovies wall on SageTV is pretty cool.

If interested, there is an Android remote for SageTV (I thought I remembered you are running an Android phone)

I have not done anything with blu-ray on SageTV as I have not sunk the $$$ in a blu-ray drive for the computer that I do my media management from. Planned for future.

I'm fairly certain you can play blu-ray through SageTV though I recall some limitations on using menus but if you are only interested in playback then this should not be an issue. Again, no experience there yet.

Some rehash of what potts.mike said, just agreeing, same experience. Overall I've been very pleased with the combination. (Most importantly, my Wife has been)

-Ben

edit: I'm running 3 SageTV media extenders, 2x HD200, 1x HD300, 3 place shifters, 1 SageTV Software client, WHS for both SageTV and MyMovies.
Thanks for the input. I think you are right, sage can play Bluray if it is unencrypted/ripped. Not sure if it requires ISO or folder.

But I am pretty sure it can't play a bluray in the drive. The only two ways I have seen to do this are either to call an external program (TMT/PowerDVD) or the MakeMKV streaming solution used by XBMC (and maybe Boxee). Not sure if Sage supports calling out to TMT or how.

I'll probably have to download the Sage trial and see what I can do with it.
Wuench

One of you who has the latest TMT could pretty easily copy the existing driver to a new one and modify it to handle the current version. It's mainly just sending out hot keys. That's the down side to no support for automation. You guys who use it should be smacking them around to provide an automation interface. They would kind of have the world to themselves if they did.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Oh... I thought app control drivers were C++ based. I'll take a look at it then. That's a big one off my list.

I agree with you on the automation interface. The two big blu-ray competitors are PowerDVD and TMT and they don't provide one. If they did, all of the above media centers would jump on it. I think there is probably a reason for them not having one, not sure what it would be. But you would think it would explode their sales if they did....
Wuench

wuench Wrote:Integrates with Offline Storage of DVD's (Sony DVDChanger)
- Sage(???)
don't know if sage can do this on its own, but with the addition of CQC it definitely could...
wuench Wrote:Plays Blu-ray ISO/Folder/MKV
- Sage (Requires TMT?)
not sure on this, I know the extenders don't need TMT for anything...
sage on a PC might just need the codecs...
wuench Wrote:Plays Blu-ray from the Drive
- Sage (Requires TMT?)
I believe you just need anydvd running...
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
Ok, I am onto Sage7 now. Have downloaded the trial, have my DVD's and DVD ISO's playing. Just bought a few bluray's from BBY and am trying to get them working.

But I can't figure out how to get Sage7 to launch TMT to play a bluray disc. Can any of you Sage guru's help me? I see a lot of people asking how, a lot of answers on details, but nothing that says how to launch the TMT player. Seem like enough people ask about it they would put it in a FAQ somewhere.....
Wuench

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BluRay Player? jkmonroe 7 4,064 06-30-2015, 04:22 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Roku as media player with CQC media control bryanb 11 7,431 01-11-2015, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Audio player that integrates with Google Music? IVB 5 2,981 11-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Last Post: IVB
  Best current Hardware/Software Media Player brathnach 18 7,548 05-13-2012, 07:57 PM
  Remote audio player Ron Haley 1 2,496 09-15-2010, 05:31 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  Which OS best for HTPC & CQC rocker 6 2,900 01-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Last Post: rocker
  Htpc phenix 1 1,511 11-02-2009, 04:02 PM
  Movie watchting with CQC royalj7 20 6,309 08-26-2009, 06:38 AM
Last Post: royalj7
  Movie details Tedp 109 23,189 08-10-2009, 06:00 PM
  zoom player Ron Haley 4 2,413 03-27-2009, 10:15 AM