Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Solar heating pool
I'm in the process of determining how I'm going to heat my pool using solar. Living in California, I'm paying 57 cents for additional power, and being on a time of use plan, I can't run the pool cleaner from 12 pm to 6pm monday to friday. So my plan is to use a solar panel (90 W) and a DC pump (Laing D5 solar 710b)

http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/manuals/l...ochure.pdf

to drive water through unglazed and uninsulated flat plate collectors (best for pool heating).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...K:MEWAX:IT

I want to be able to control the pump based on the temperature of the pool, and the difference between the temperature of water going into the solar collector and the water coming out. I also want to be able to calculate the real time BTU's generated.
So to do this, I can purchase a differential controller, and connect the controller to my PC or elk for monitoring. The other possibiility I'd like to explore is whether I can run the whole thing from the Elk and/or CQC.

To do this, I'll need to be able to measure water temperature and water flow rate. Has anyone done this, or have any ideas on what I could use to do this?
You could use a vko11 device to measue temps, it has four channels. Then get one of the water meters that has been discussed on cocoontech that comes with a pulse counter and get the flow rate from that. Then use some sort of relay to turn the pump on and off. You could prob even use the logic server to calculate the btu's and such.
I ended up using the standard elk sensor with the 7ft probe. Calibrated them by placing both probes into the same fluid. They are working well so far. In early trials in the winter here in the San Fran area I've reached a maximum of 36,000 BTU per hour with 320 ft of panels. That's about 10,800 Watts. I expect to double this during peak time in the summer.
I would stick to a stand alone controller and use CQC as a supervisory system.

If you can find something off the shelf you would obviously need to write a driver for it.

You could look at a PLC, add your own sensors and then write your own PLC code - you get what you want and it will be robust (unlike the elk). While no PLC's are currently supported by CQC, the Click PLC (Automation Direct) is a great cheap little unit and it uses Modbus. This means CQC can talk to it and I am in the process of writing a driver - which is unfortunately on hold at the moment doe to work commitments.

I plan to use a couple, gate controller, irrigation controller, power monitor...
Let them run as stand alone controllers and CQC just sits on top reading values (and writing of course), but its not CQC doing the control.

There may be a few other devices out there that will work equally as well, you just need to get CQC to talk to them.

Mick
znelbok Wrote:I would stick to a stand alone controller and use CQC as a supervisory system.

If you can find something off the shelf you would obviously need to write a driver for it.

You could look at a PLC, add your own sensors and then write your own PLC code - you get what you want and it will be robust (unlike the elk). While no PLC's are currently supported by CQC, the Click PLC (Automation Direct) is a great cheap little unit and it uses Modbus. This means CQC can talk to it and I am in the process of writing a driver - which is unfortunately on hold at the moment doe to work commitments.

I plan to use a couple, gate controller, irrigation controller, power monitor...
Let them run as stand alone controllers and CQC just sits on top reading values (and writing of course), but its not CQC doing the control.

There may be a few other devices out there that will work equally as well, you just need to get CQC to talk to them.

Mick
what about the barionet?
I do not have any experience with the Barionet, but it should work. You would need to investigate further to make sure you can code in the language it want to use and has the commands that will do what you need.

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
znelbok Wrote:I do not have any experience with the Barionet, but it should work. You would need to investigate further to make sure you can code in the language it want to use and has the commands that will do what you need.

Mick
I'm thinking of using the cqc driver
The CQC driver is only used to query and write data to and from teh barionet. YOu still need to use the software that it comes with to program the logic within in it.

look at it like the M1 - you need RP to program it up and create rules etc, but the CQC driver allows you to monitor and control it (just not configure it)

Mick
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
I presume I can read thermostats and set relays from CQC?
I guess it depends on what you are looking to do. The Barionet has some programmable smarts. But if you just want to read/write the various I/O, and do the logic in CQC, I don't think you'll need to do any real programming on the Barionet, other than configuring it via the web interface.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jandy Pool Control avtexan 20 8,905 06-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Custom Heating control (like IVB's timers) willplaice 5 3,027 01-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  HTS3-R1-A Humidity/Temp/Solar -1-wire? bjkiller 0 1,342 12-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Last Post: bjkiller