Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Couple of 3.2.0 questions
There are a couple of things that I want to ask regarding some of the new features on the latest release.

Global Actions: I assume that they run independant of each other, but want to make sure. For example, if I move my IR related commands to global actions and someone in the Den presses the "Play DVD" command right after someone presses the same button in the Master Bedroom, and both actions reference the same global action, will there be a problem?

Multiple CQC systems on one machine: I handle both my system and my parents system. I've been looking forward to this change because it would be helpful to have both loaded on my laptop because it gets carried to my parents house and used when troubleshooting or updating things. I have installed CQC twice on this machine. I installed it on my system a couple weeks ago, and then for my parents system this weekend. I changed the installation folder from "CQC" to "CQC - Lake" for my parents system. It seems to have worked, with one issue.

Loading the system a 2nd time seems to have overwritten the startup folder for my CQC system. Instead of two Start Folders (one for CQC and one for CQC - Lake) there is only one that seems to connect to my parents system. So I guess I need to manually create another Startup folder for my CQC system and copy over shortcuts for all the normal CQC programs I use. It would obviously be much easier if the installer would allow you to change the Startup Folder default incase you are actually loading CQC more than one time on your machine.

Thanks,
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
Global actions are sucked down to the machine running the action that invokes them and run there. So there would be no differences. It's just that instead of the action being embedded there in the button or the IR driven event, it's stored elsewhere and pulled down to be run.

On the other thing, that was multiple systems on the same network running at the same time, not multiple systems installed on the same machine. There is a way to install multiple systems on the same machine, which is available to integrators for development purposes only. But it's fairly manual and not something I'd want to release to the general public. If just do a regular install, it's always going to overwrite the service info and the start menu stuff, so one of them will always win over the other.

I have thought about a way to make it much slicker and controllable, and I'll probably implement this before too much longer. The installer already supports installing multiple systems, but there's no user friendly way yet to manage them and switch back and forth.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
OK -I guess I misunderstood about the multiple systems.

Another clarification about the global actions.... What happens if two events are run on the same machine in quick succession. This potentially could happen with IR global actions - perhaps people in two different rooms press "Stop" at the same time. The way I have my system set up, the same action would run regardless of the device being viewed. The action itself determines the current device and send the command to the proper device. So if someone is watching a movie and presses stop and the same time someone watching SageTV presses stop, the same action will be called on.

Again, I'm pretty sure you have set it up to handle situations like this, but I wanted to make sure before I start the long process of converting a lot of my repeated actions into global actions.

Thanks,
Other systems used:
Another question regarding multiple systems....

On both systems, my CQC servers are on network address 192.168.1.2. Could do a custom installation and install the Admin Interface, Interface Editor, and Interface Viewer, all pointing at that network address. Could it then work on either system since it is pulling most/all information from the server? I'm sure the answer is no, but I thought I would check (perhaps I would get lucky).
Other systems used:
sic0048 Wrote:Another clarification about the global actions.... What happens if two events are run on the same machine in quick succession. This potentially could happen with IR global actions - perhaps people in two different rooms press "Stop" at the same time. The way I have my system set up, the same action would run regardless of the device being viewed. The action itself determines the current device and send the command to the proper device. So if someone is watching a movie and presses stop and the same time someone watching SageTV presses stop, the same action will be called on.

Again, I'm pretty sure you have set it up to handle situations like this, but I wanted to make sure before I start the long process of converting a lot of my repeated actions into global actions.

Thanks,

It would be no different than now. The IR actions are running in each driver instance on separate threads, so each driver is running separately. With a global actio it just means that instead of putting the logic in the actual invoked IR action, it's stored elsewhere. But it's pulled down into that driver's action engine and run just as it would be if it were invoked directly.
Dean Roddey
sic0048 Wrote:Another question regarding multiple systems....

On both systems, my CQC servers are on network address 192.168.1.2. Could do a custom installation and install the Admin Interface, Interface Editor, and Interface Viewer, all pointing at that network address. Could it then work on either system since it is pulling most/all information from the server? I'm sure the answer is no, but I thought I would check (perhaps I would get lucky).

You wouldn't want to do that. The way it works is that you can have multiple completely independent systems running simultaneously on completely independent machines. That would of course mean that the servers are on different IP addresses since they are on different machines.

It theoretically possible to install more than one system on a machine, using a special install mode, but they can never be running at the same time. So really you couldn't ever use a real working machine to work on a second system while the first is running. It's really for pure development machines where multiple customer systems are installed and you can start up one, work on it, stop it, start another, work on it, etc... But this mechanism is not exposed to you guys.

I could expose that system, though it would need to be improved and do a lot of sanity checking, otherwise I'd spend more time helping people figure out why they've screwed up their systems that it would ever be worth.

But in no way would it ever be possible to have two systems simultaneously running on a single machine.
Dean Roddey
Well in my situation, they would never be running at the same time because they are located in two totally different geographical places.

That being said, I got back to my house after visiting my parents this weekend and started CQC via a pinned shortcut. This shortcut was for "my system's" admin interface. It started right up and connected to my server without issue.

It should be noted that both installations were made with the installer being pointed at the CQC server's name rather than network address (as suggested above). So this installed version of CQC is pointing to my "WHS" machine while my parent's installed version pointed to their "CQCServer" machine.

So it looks like it might work - even if by accident. This is strickly a development machine - no drivers or remote programs run on the laptop.
Other systems used:
If it's just client side tools, you can of course change the system id and the target master server address and they will connect to a different server just fine. That's all that they know about is what gets passed to them on the command line. I was talking about the back end.
Dean Roddey
I realized that it was just a different server address and system ID. So I have made up a new set of shortcuts with the proper information for my system.

It seems like this will be sufficient, since it is the client side tools (Admin interface, Interface Editor, Interface Viewer) that I need to use from this computer.

I'll see how it works, but I think this is the easiest solution for me.

Thanks,
Other systems used:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Philips Hue set up questions Deane Johnson 42 16,106 01-01-2016, 01:09 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Simple Clarification Questions Deane Johnson 5 3,100 01-03-2015, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Questions on Philips Hue Deane Johnson 1 2,109 11-21-2014, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Z-Wave Door Locks & Other Z-Wave Questions jbh5000 18 7,812 06-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Last Post: jbh5000
  Basic Questions RichardU 7 4,326 09-01-2011, 09:36 AM
  Overlay questions dgeffs 7 4,039 06-06-2011, 01:04 PM
  CQC for me? iPod touch interface questions Mukha 14 6,245 05-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Last Post: potts.mike
  APC S20 + SNMP observations and questions SamVimes2 14 5,666 01-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Last Post: SamVimes2
  Upgrade questions - 2.4.26 to 3.2 MikeA 9 4,051 12-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Last Post: klindy
  Newbie - Basic audio questions MikeMelga 4 2,428 06-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Last Post: RobWalker