Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPad control through Remote Desktop
I don't know if this has been discussed and a quick search didn't show anything so I though I would post this.

I am running my CQC server on WinXP and there is a hack to allow multiple remote desktop connections, see
http://www.golod.com/2005/10/enabling-mu...tion-2005/

then I installed "Remote Desktop Lite" by MochaSoft on my iPad and now I have iPad control of CQC!

[Image: CQConipad.jpg]
Embedded micro-controller design and Controller Area Network interfaces at http://www.zanthic.com
Hi

Great Stuff!

I tried this using iTap RDP Client when I first got my iPad, but did not get very far. I could not log on to my server (where I run my main IV), as it is not password protected - it has to boot automatically as we have frequent power failures. I will try the hack you mention and "Remote Desktop Lite" tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

PJG
That iPad looks great. Love your template. Did you create this yourself? Is it available for others to try out?
thanks, I created it with some help from my graphic designing son. You are welcome to anything I have but you'll have to tell me how to export it.
I actually have been meaning to upgrade it to this system I did for my brother's house

[Image: screenshot1.jpg]

I will be helping him with his new house that will feature 7 - 23" touch monitors.
Embedded micro-controller design and Controller Area Network interfaces at http://www.zanthic.com
Out of curiosity, why do you want ipad control of CQC via RDP?

I love the idea of RDP for the iPad. I use it all the time to my PC in the server room so this will make the ipad more usable for those programs that I want to use but still want to sit in front of the TV
Zanthic Wrote:thanks, I created it with some help from my graphic designing son. You are welcome to anything I have but you'll have to tell me how to export it.

In Interface Template Editor go to Tools and you have the option to Make Image Pack and Make Template Pack. Have open the template you want to export and then select Make Template Pack and the directory you want to save it to and you are done. That easy.
znelbok Wrote:Out of curiosity, why do you want ipad control of CQC via RDP?

Control the world, what else? :tounge One benefit is that my security cameras that require an activeX work perfectly through RDP but what was the best part was that it took only a couple of minutes and didn't need any custom screens or other configuration.
Hi Zanthic

Well I have my iPad working as well with "Remote Desktop Lite". I found a fix for the no password problem here:-

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/06/17...-password/

The interface seems more resposive than the RIVA client. Also, I have no screen blanking problems and I can see all my weather maps and security cameras!

I have not yet tried the multiple connections hack, although it seems as if there are different versions for SP2 and SP3. Which are you using?

Have you found a way to fix the image in place on the iPad screen rather than scoll around whenever you touch it and can you remove the 3 icons the base of the screen for keyboard, menu and screen location?

Thanks again

PJG
pjgregory Wrote:Hi Zanthic

Well I have my iPad working as well with "Remote Desktop Lite". I found a fix for the no password problem here:-
PJG

I left the password in place so that I could leave it open to the outside. I did notice that I couldn't change the default RDP port without breaking it so I ended up setting my router to map to an unusual outside port and leave the default on the inside.

I'm using SP2

pjgregory Wrote:Have you found a way to fix the image in place on the iPad screen rather than scoll around whenever you touch it and can you remove the 3 icons the base of the screen for keyboard, menu and screen location?
PJG

I haven't found the screen moving to be a problem. The only control that it seems to affect is the volume control sliders but they can be tapped into place instead of sliding. If there is information displayed under the 3 icons the screen movement can come in handy but I'm not displaying much down there anyway.

One thing I will mention if others are trying this is that initially I was not seeing all of the controls on my screen and parts of screens were missing like background images but after changing the server to allow multiple logins that issue has disappeared but I can't say for sure if that was it or not. Now everything is a perfect replica include camera views, radar maps etc.
Also, if you use multiple RDP sessions under 3.2 and forward, you will have to use a separate CQC user account for each one, else they will be fighting for per-user files on the machine hosting the multiple logins.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hue Lighting Control jokermac 17 4,477 03-28-2020, 06:18 AM
Last Post: jokermac
  TTS and remote clients or speakers simplextech 10 2,277 02-01-2020, 07:58 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  Jandy Pool Control avtexan 20 7,041 06-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Adding RF remote to CQC avtexan 2 2,512 03-30-2017, 02:46 AM
Last Post: Bugman
  RDP for remote UI using IV in iOS NightLight 18 9,445 01-17-2017, 04:44 PM
Last Post: daddyd
  Any way to add click sound to widgets on my iPad? Deane Johnson 1 1,461 08-15-2016, 03:29 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Use single On/Off/Slider to control group jkmonroe 3 2,649 08-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Last Post: pinballmark
  Help figuring out projector serial control! Deane Johnson 19 6,984 07-30-2016, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Harmony Hub Device Control jkmonroe 6 4,137 07-03-2016, 02:36 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  how deep is your (echo voice control) love? IVB 197 39,262 05-23-2016, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey