Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HowTo: build a multi-zone A/V architecture
penngray Wrote:... I guess what Im trying to get too is what variables are set? We all have Zones, ZoneSources, ZoneCurrentTitle and so on.

What Macros or function do people use to work within a zone, if any?

Any great and neat tricks? or bad pitfalls to avoid?

i just use zone variables. things like source to zone and current title can be taken care of with existing widgets. down at the bottom there, where it says LR, BR, and OF, the text that is there that says TEST is to be a dynamic text widget set to the source of each zone in my RECEIVER. so it always displays what source is selected in the receiver. same goes for the volume per zone. like this (and i think IVB does this as well):

good lord, this thread is moving faaast. :-D

[Image: cab.jpg]
How does everyone keep track of what is playing in each zone?

Ie....

Zone 1 is playing a DVD (Batman Begins) using PC #1
Zone 2 is playing MP3s using Zoomplayer1
Zone 3 is watching Cable TV

Are global variables really global throughout the system. I dont have multiple touch screens working to test this theory so Im still trying to understand the flow.

For my AV multi-zone design I want to know what shows what devices are already playing something so that I can join in from a new zone if I want.
Global variables are global to the current interface window. If you want something system-wide, you need to use the Variables driver and define fields in it that can be seen by each touch screen. They are not, however, persistent, so if that machine cycles, you'll loose that information until you set the fields again.

It is a future project to make the variables driver data persistent.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Is it possible to change the zoomplayer device and add a variable to it?

so that when we start zoomplayer1 we can also set a Zone variable in that device... ie zoomplayer1:Zone set to 1.
I could provide a ZoneNumber field in the Zoom driver that you could use for that if you wanted.
Dean Roddey
Yes, I would like that. Big Grin
penngray Wrote:Is it possible to change the zoomplayer device and add a variable to it?

so that when we start zoomplayer1 we can also set a Zone variable in that device... ie zoomplayer1:Zone set to 1.

ZP will do multiple zones? Where do I configure that option? I'm liking ZP more and more as I play with it.

Russ...
There are various threads discussing that. If you search for something like "zoom multiple instance" you should find them.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:There are various threads discussing that. If you search for something like "zoom multiple instance" you should find them.

i wrote up how to configure zoom for multiple instances here:

http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/sho...stcount=28

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Update on ZWave & RadioRA2 Multi-Gang and CQC gReatAutomation 1 1,149 01-31-2020, 01:18 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  ISY, multi-controllers via SmartThings and IFTTT (ugh yes) IVB 3 2,092 01-24-2018, 03:47 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Anyone try a multi-site HA install using a VPN? IVB 17 11,991 09-06-2017, 01:18 AM
Last Post: NightLight
  Multi media solutions. Ron Haley 14 8,649 12-06-2016, 12:27 PM
  Countdown Timer with Elk Zone Stipe 3 2,260 09-28-2015, 02:59 PM
  Starting from Scratch - What would you build? jmcoy 8 4,996 12-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Last Post: adav
  Audio Zone Control greyjeep 1 1,673 11-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Scheduled events editor - howto request willplaice 2 2,114 05-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Last Post: jkish
  MyMovies driver and multi disc collections potts.mike 3 2,533 09-29-2009, 10:05 AM
  Elan Z├é┬À630 Series II multi-Room controller penngray 8 7,965 05-11-2009, 04:43 AM
Last Post: klindy