Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List Based Music Browsing
I looked at that, and it would suit my needs, but the problem I had with it was that it browsed this way -> genre -> albums -> song

I would think artist should be before albums in this list, as I typically don't know an album name and relate it directly back to an artist.

What would work the best for me was a way where you could enter the list browser at any point, i.e. Have the browser start the list at Genre, Artist, Albums, or Songs and be able to select an entire Album or Artist and send that to the playlist queue. Could that not be added on the Repo tab?

For someone that doesn't know the in's and outs of building sophisticated interfaces (like me), that would be make it easy to get up and running.
t the time it was written, the browsers got their data from the repo driver in chunks, and had to deal with however the repo driver could make it available. Now the metadata is local (client service downloads it), so the media list browser would have more leeway to just look at the data however it wanted. I just need the time to take a whack at it.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Adding this support would be great for me as all of my music libraries were designed off of John Kish's work with SqueezeCenter that were vertical based. Not that I am opposed to what you have done horizontally, it is, for me anyway, easier to use.

So I went back to a 4.2 install I had, and tried jrlewis' macros, and they work fine. If I were to upgrade that installation to 4.8.5, would that fix the issues with his macros? (And I will be patiently waiting for the update of the Vertical List Browser while using them :-) )
If you flush the logs and then do the thing that fails because of the macro, does anything show up in the logs? It may just be failing to compile because it has an error that used to not be caught and now it is. If so, those are usually trivial to fix.
Dean Roddey
I get the error on the computer I am running it on -

Code:
756/0/0
    Macro 'MEng.User.CQC.Macros.Media.GetArtists' could not be downloaded from the Master Server
      <CQCIntfView> CQCKit_StdCmdTargets.cpp - 1927
      <CQCIntfView> CQCIntfEng_ActEngine.cpp - 690
      <CQCIntfView> CQCIntfEng_View.cpp - 6120
      <CQCIntfView> CQCIntfEng_View.cpp - 3136
}
Code:
And in the logs, I am getting a failed/data format error:

[CODE]06/29 19:42:41-KBLAGRON, CQCIntfView, CQCRunActionThread6
{
    CQCKit, MEng.User.CQC.Macros.Media.GetArtists.151, Failed/Data Format
    A macro parse event occured
    The method 'CreateCursor' was not found in class 'CQCMediaInfo'
}
06/29 19:42:41-KBLAGRON, CQCIntfView, CQCRunActionThread6
{
    CIDMacroEng, CIDMacroEng_Parser.cpp.2181, Status/App Status, Error: 6505/0/0
    An unrecoverable error occured while parsing
      <CQCIntfView> CIDMacroEng_Parser.cpp - 830

}
{
    CQCKit, CQCKit_MEngErrHandler.cpp.236, Status/Data Format
    A C++ exception occured during macro parsing
    MEng.User.CQC.Macros.Media.GetArtists  Line=151, Col=32)
}
{
    CIDMacroEng, CIDMacroEng_Parser.cpp.2181, Status/App Status, Error: 6505/0/0
    An unrecoverable error occured while parsing
      <CQCIntfView> CIDMacroEng_Parser.cpp - 830

}
{
    CQCKit, CQCKit_StdCmdTargets.cpp.1701, Status/Cannot Do, Error: 756/0/0
    Macro 'MEng.User.CQC.Macros.Media.GetArtists' could not be downloaded from the Master Server
      <CQCIntfView> CQCKit_StdCmdTargets.cpp - 1927

}
{
    CQCKit, CQCKit_StdCmdTargets.cpp.1937, Failed/Cannot Do
    Macro MEng.User.CQC.Macros.Media.GetArtists failed with an exception. See the logs
Oh, OK. Yeh, that's not going to work anymore. The problem is that, as I was mentioning above, the system used to work in terms of 'cursors'. So the client would ask for the media repo driver to create a cursor for some list of media (artists that match this or that, titles in a genre, etc...) And then it would iterate though that list in chunks. That was the huge limitation of the old system.

Now, it doesn't work that way anymore. This is one of those few times when we just had to outright break some old stuff. Now the data is local and you don't talk to the media repo anymore to do that kind of thing. You get it from the local media repo cache. So it's done completely differently, and his stuff isn't going to work without a fairly significant overhaul since we've made that change.

Sorry about that, but the change was well worth it ultimately. The access is really fast now since it's all local, which is how we can provide draggable metadata browsing and such. But his media templates have now passed over the event horizon pretty much.
Dean Roddey
No Worries! Will implement the Horizontal CAB you have available, and hopefully someday down the road the Vertical Media Browser can be enhanced so that it has different entry / exit points. Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Google Play Music integration sic0048 1 1,078 12-25-2018, 11:52 AM
Last Post: batwater
  Porting Auto-Gen Music Templates to Existing System TurboSam 4 3,270 08-31-2016, 01:08 PM
Last Post: TurboSam
  list browser? jkmonroe 4 2,243 10-03-2015, 10:36 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  How to put a pause in an Action list? Deane Johnson 10 4,296 11-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Static Browser List avtexan 4 2,775 09-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Last Post: avtexan
  Android based device Voice control of CQC How To Discussion Thread batwater 5 4,209 12-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Last Post: RichardU
  How TO: Australia based weather radar jdmevo123 0 3,310 12-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Last Post: jdmevo123
  what are people currently using for ripped music and dvd playback? capall 13 4,268 06-21-2013, 11:44 PM
  Full Pre-Wire List IVB 32 8,098 05-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Last Post: umdivx
  URL-based actions? IVB 24 7,105 02-28-2013, 06:58 PM