Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Log size
I'm unable to view more than 81 log entries. Is this normal? If so, is there a way to increase that?

If it's not supposed to wrap at 81 entries, what do I need to do to figure out why this is going on?

As an example, the oldest log message that could be seen from the admin IF was at around 4:02AM this morning. I had the query parms set to return 256 entries maximum. The driver's vebosity is set to high. I removed and re-added the driver. The new log messages caused a like number of old messages to drop off.

Thanks,
Ira
The log system holds around 8K entries, so they definitely aren't pushing old ones out. Try this:

1. Open the CQC Command Prompt from the start menu
2. Run 'CQCLogAdmin"

It'll dump out the last 128 log entries or so. How many do you see there?
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I don't have a CQCLogAdmin in C:\Program Files\CQC\Bin. Do you mean CIDLogAdmin?

Thanks,
Ira
Yeh, sorry, that's what I meant.
Dean Roddey
Here's what I did and the results I got...

1. Ran CIDLogAdmin on the client server and ported output to a text file. Text file had 128 entries, starting at 3:31:21 this morning.

2. Used the client server's Admin IF view log. Set max to 256. Did a query. 81 entries showed up. Snapped to a text file. 81 entries showed up. First entry in both cases was at 4:23:22 this morning.

3. Viewed the log on the client server using the CIDLib Log Server Manager. It showed 32 entries. First entry at 5:31:08 this morning. Strange thing is there is a lot of "white space" above the first entry. In other words, you can use the vertical scroll bar to scroll "up" a long ways beyond the first entry but all you see is "white space". Snapped to a text file. The text file also had 5:31:08 this morning as the first entry. No "white space" at the top of the file.

4, 5, 6. Did all of the above on the master server. Same exact results.

I am considering the time stamp to be the beginning of a log entry, except on the Admin IF view log panel where I'm considering each line to be a log entry.

Ira
The log monitor program only shows what's happened in the last 15 minutes (or since startup) or up to a certain number of items, so it's not going to show you all the backlog or anything. So that's expected.

Are you sure on the log query dialog that you have all the options selected, i.e. it's not filtering anything out?
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:The log monitor program only shows what's happened in the last 15 minutes (or since startup) or up to a certain number of items, so it's not going to show you all the backlog or anything. So that's expected.

Are you sure on the log query dialog that you have all the options selected, i.e. it's not filtering anything out?

Just out of curiosity, why is there a 256 entry limit on the number of logs you can view from the Admin?

I have wished for more many times...
Just to avoid sucking lots of data over the network mostly, and I guess to try to encourage the use of the filters a bit more to target what you want. For instance, you can just Ctrl-click the Status type off and you won't get any of those 'just in case you want to know' type entries and will only get more serious stuff.

I could add a 512 entry option as well.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:The log monitor program only shows what's happened in the last 15 minutes (or since startup) or up to a certain number of items, so it's not going to show you all the backlog or anything. So that's expected.

Except for changing the "max to return" value to 256, I'm taking all the default options. "*" in all the fields on the left and all severity levels and class levels highlighted (blue).

In my case, the log monitor program is showing 32 entries, but it isn't because that's all that has happened in the last fifteen minutes. The first entry is at 5:31:08. The last is at 10:15:47. So assuming that CQC has been running for days...if 100 log entries are written in less than 15 minutes, should I see 100 or 32? If one log entries is written every minute for 100 minutes, should I see 32 or 15? I'm just trying to understand the logic that the program uses when determining how many entries to display.

Also, why all the white space in the log monitor program. It looks like it is skipping enough room for at least several hundred entries.

Ira
The log monitor, when it first starts, asks for the last 15 minutes or up to a certain number of items that have already happened. At that point it only shows new stuff that happpens live, and it starts scrolling upwards, so that the most recent thing is at the bottom and it starts filling up those entry entries, so that you can scroll upwards and see older stuff.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Increase Size of Context Screens gReatAutomation 1 155 10-04-2019, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  New construction with a nice size budget. How would you do multizone audio? ghurty 7 2,302 03-27-2018, 02:12 PM
  Request: Field Browser name column size increase dgage 1 1,401 03-21-2015, 07:39 PM
  Request for increase in attachment size for forum uploads kfly 2 978 10-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Last Post: kfly
  Limited on new template size Roscoe62 2 841 06-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Roscoe62
  Size Limit for Media Item Browser jrlewis 15 3,096 01-10-2010, 04:21 AM
Last Post: jrlewis
  Media Browser image size ellisr63 1 797 12-15-2008, 09:29 PM
  Screen size and resolution Austride 2 1,400 09-25-2008, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Austride