Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feature Request - ability to load several layers of overlays in commands
My template design generally revolves around nesting several overlays inside each other. For example - I have my MAIN overlay. Inside of that I load different overlays for each major system like HVAC, and AUDIO and TELEPHONE, etc. Inside of that overlay I load more specific overylays (for example a Room Selection overlay in the AUDIO overlay) - inside of that I load an overlay for each selected source, etc, etc, etc,.

What I would like to see is a way to drill down a specify a specific overlay through the command structure (and using the IV Driver). Currently I can drill down basically one unit - load the main template and specify one overlay inside of the main template.

Is there a way to specify more than one layer of overlays? In other words I might want to load the MAIN template, and the AUDIO overlay, and the DEN overlay inside that, and the DVD REPO overlay inside of that.

The final overlay would probably be different with every need, so using the "load default" overlay command in the overlay itself doesn't allow me enough flexability. If I always needed the same final overlay, then that would work.
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
Given that you can now set the initial template to load in the OnPreload of the parent, you could set some global variables, cause the top level to overlay to load, and then each one on the way down would look at those variables and set up what is supposed to load below them. When it's done just delete the variables.

Not quite what you want probably but it might work for you.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
So in the "On Preload" section of the main template, I can call a command to load an overlay inside of that template. Something like LoadTemplate::%(GVar:FirstLevel) -where normally your command would look like LoadTemplate::NameofTemplate)

Then on the On Preload of the Overlay, call a command to load a nested overlay. Something like LoadTemplate::%(GVar:SecondLevel)

etc, etc, etc.

(I know my command structure is probably all wrong, but hopefully you get the idea).

I think that makes sense and something that is probably feasible.

Thanks,
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
There's a SetDefTemplate or something like that, I can't remember the exact name. What it does is just, preload, to store a new template name as the one to load initially, overriding any existing one that was set in the attributes.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OnPreload and Overlays gReatAutomation 5 1,186 04-10-2020, 11:23 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Overlays gReatAutomation 1 902 01-27-2020, 11:04 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  [FEATURE] Event Run Action simplextech 4 2,431 01-09-2020, 02:04 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  [REQUEST] Z-Wave Devices simplextech 2 1,505 01-05-2020, 07:31 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  Can't Find a Couple of Documented Action Commands kblagron 7 3,924 10-02-2018, 05:47 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  The server did not reply to the 'rset' request indygreg 3 2,444 07-26-2018, 11:22 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Alexa can't load configuration mattheinrich 1 1,607 03-24-2018, 08:45 AM
  unable to scroll in overlay if Trans Background set to True... is this a feature? greymatter 1 1,716 09-22-2017, 11:27 AM
  Additional HTTP REST commands requested greymatter 3 2,888 08-25-2017, 09:17 AM
  Marantz V2 Driver Feature Request zra 21 12,272 07-06-2017, 10:02 AM