Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Generic Irrigation Scheduler
DaveB Wrote:You can consider a master valve and a pump relay in the same class. They perform the same way but for different reasons.

Anyone have more than one of these?

I could imagine it would be possible to have multiple valves that need to be turned on in a large enough system.

Not sure about whether multiple pumps could show up - maybe if you wanted to be able to run multiple zones at the same time and you had some fancy plumbing.
There is sometimes a need for running multiple zones at the same time. If your water comes from a water well with a pump and pressure tank, it's important to design a system such that the zone(s) "keep up" with the pump, for two reasons. First, it's really hard on the pump if it is cycling a lot because it is able to pump more water than the zone can throw. Second, you don't want the water pressure varying by 20psi due to the pump cycling.

In some situations, especially with a high volume pump, it may be easier to run the pipe for two smaller zones instead of one larger zones. But, you need to run both zones at the same time to keep the pump running continuously.
The Rain8 can supposedly handle 2 zones active at a time. I don't know if that is per module. So if you have 2 modules, can you have 4 on at once? I have never tried that. I have manually turned on 2 at once, but my current home grown scheduler (a bunch of variable driver fields, count down timers, and triggered and scheduled events) just runs each zone in sequence with the stop action for one zone starting the next one.
kayemsi Wrote:The Rain8 can supposedly handle 2 zones active at a time. I don't know if that is per module. So if you have 2 modules, can you have 4 on at once? I have never tried that. I have manually turned on 2 at once, but my current home grown scheduler (a bunch of variable driver fields, count down timers, and triggered and scheduled events) just runs each zone in sequence with the stop action for one zone starting the next one.

I don't think the wall wart can power more than 2 at a time. I guess you can use a larger power supply but then you might get into trouble over loading the module. Maybe then you can run 2 per module. Don't know...

However I can see a potential need for more than one "pump/master" zone at a time. I've heard of and seen mention here of some novel uses of the Rain8 well outside of irrigation.

Without digging into the driver, why not set the 'start time' and 'run time' (or end time) of each zone individually. If they overlap so be it. It would be up to the user to make sure it doesn't violate some other limitation. The trouble will be when you introduce adjusting the run times to account for the EV.

Perhaps allow any zone to be 'sequenced' or 'unsequenced'. Any zone that is sequenced would adjust per water needs and unsequenced zones are hard scheduled (maybe with a "run with sequence" mode or something??).

Anyway, just brainstorming a bit...
Keith
klindy Wrote:I don't think the wall wart can power more than 2 at a time. I guess you can use a larger power supply but then you might get into trouble over loading the module. Maybe then you can run 2 per module. Don't know...

However I can see a potential need for more than one "pump/master" zone at a time. I've heard of and seen mention here of some novel uses of the Rain8 well outside of irrigation.

Without digging into the driver, why not set the 'start time' and 'run time' (or end time) of each zone individually. If they overlap so be it. It would be up to the user to make sure it doesn't violate some other limitation. The trouble will be when you introduce adjusting the run times to account for the EV.

Perhaps allow any zone to be 'sequenced' or 'unsequenced'. Any zone that is sequenced would adjust per water needs and unsequenced zones are hard scheduled (maybe with a "run with sequence" mode or something??).

Anyway, just brainstorming a bit...

Handling the actual running of the pump / valve isn't too hard, but it is more complicated than just setting a runtime that overlaps.

There is a new feature that allows 'Cycle and Soak' in the next version.
The scheduler determines the max time a zone can run before you would get runoff - there are settings on the zones for flow rate, soil type, and slope. The zone will automatically be put into a soak state when the amount of water applied reaches the runoff point. Once the water has soaked in (based on soil intake rate), the zone is eligible to run again. There can be times when all zones are 'soaking' and you would want to turn off pumps / valves if it is going to be more than a small amount of time.

Right now I'm just trying to figure out how the best way to specify the pump / valve zones. I could just allow a zone to be marked as a pump/valve or I could create a new category of 'thing' called a pump/valve that has completely different attributes from a regular zone.
jkish Wrote:... or I could create a new category of 'thing' called a pump/valve that has completely different attributes from a regular zone.

I guess that's what I was suggesting. For example, I have an extra zone on my Rain8 I may use to control a valve plumbed to add water to my pool. In this case, if a float switch calls for water "zone 8" needs to go on but, since that plumbing doesn't go through the sprinklers, I would not need the master valve on too. Likewise, that zone is obviously not part of any scheduled control program.

I think the "mark it as a master zone" idea is what Rain8 does in their user software.

Thanks again for all the effort! The "Cycle and Soak" idea is awesome!
Keith
My zone 15 is also used for pool fill. I have it scheduled to run for a hour in sequence and if there is already enough water in the pool, the float value just keeps it from doing any thing even though it is "running".

I also have a rain sensor that the Rain8 folks recommened. It is wired in such that the zones still run as scheduled, but nothing happens if the rain sensor is saturated. Unfortunately there is no feedback for this so watering history would show that it watered, when actually it did not.
jkish Wrote:Right now I'm just trying to figure out how the best way to specify the pump / valve zones. I could just allow a zone to be marked as a pump/valve or I could create a new category of 'thing' called a pump/valve that has completely different attributes from a regular zone.

I vote for the completely different attributes option. It would actually make setup easier.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
DaveB Wrote:I vote for the completely different attributes option. It would actually make setup easier.

That's what I ended up going with.

You can create Valve's and then assign zones to them. If any of the zones that are in the Valve's list are going to start, the pump/valve is turned on until a there are no zones in its list running.

This way there can any number of pump/valves and they can have any of the zones assigned to them.

The only thing I haven't decided is if there needs to be a setting for how long between the pump/valve starting and the zone associated with the valve starting. Same thing when stopping.
According to the driver the scheduled programs are disabled but the programs are still running. How do I stop them from running?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RainMachine Sprinkler Irrigation Controller Driver kblagron 60 18,681 07-17-2022, 08:36 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Generic Modbus Driver - Serial & IP znelbok 25 20,083 10-09-2018, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Ron Haley
  Irrigation Caddy - WIFI Version (IC-W1) kblagron 0 2,519 05-31-2016, 01:02 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Generic Database Driver - Beta Mikla 109 55,313 01-06-2016, 09:51 AM
Last Post: Mikla