Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To: Install Logitech Squeezebox Receiver without Controller (WinXP)
**warning there is something wrong with my script for the wireless install, I will update the thread as soon as I figure this out**
***figured out my router puked which created some issues, I will get one in a few days and update the instructions if they need it***
Setting up the Squeezebox Duet without controller on WinXP(or perhaps another one of their hardware receivers):

*note I use all caps sometimes to display what to type you do not need to type in caps, <enter> means to hit your enter key

There are two options, being I have done them both I will outline them both as well. You can choose wireless or wired. For myself I tried the wired option first.

For both you will need to download some softare.
http://www.activestate.com/activeperl/
http://projects.robinbowes.com/Net-UDAP/trac

Once you install the activeperl and unzip the UDAP software we can begin.

WIRED INSTALL
First step, go to Start, Run, type CMD and hit enter
Once the command prompt window is up, type IPCONFIG and hit enter.
You should have something like this (I put in example numbers, you will need yours):

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

IP Address……………….111.222.333.444
Subnet Mask……………..255.255.255.0
Default Gateway…………555.666.777.888

Write these down and then we can move onto the steps. You can exit the CMD window at anytime by typing EXIT.
1) In the open command window go to the directory where the UDAP software is. In my case I unzipped it to the root directory so here were my steps. FYI cd.. moves you back one directory and cd/directory will move you into the sub-folder “directory”
a. Get to root directory: TYPE: cd.. <enter> cd.. <enter>
b. Goto UDAP directory TYPE: cd/branches_1.0.x-r129/branches/scripts <enter>
c. Once you are in the scripts directory you will need to start the Udap shell, do this by typing: udap_shell.pl
i. You will know you have the software started correctly when the prompt changes from C:\ to UDAP>

Now it is time to program the Squeezebox.

2) First step for me is to reset the SB to factory defaults. Hold the front button until the red light flashes fast. (it will flash slow first)
3) Now you need to “find” the Squeezebox. In this case the SB should either be connected to your router via a Cat cable or directly to your PC via a Cat cable. To have your PC find the SB, type DISCOVER at the prompt.
a. It may not find it right away if you are quick so try again. You will know when it finds it since there will be a lot more text that pops up instead of the two lines that occur when it doesn’t find it.
4) Once found you need to select which SB to configure. If you only have one on your network this will be easy, just type CONF 1
5) Type SET INTERFACE=1 <enter>
6) SAVE_DATA <enter>
7) RESET <enter>

At this point the LED will turn blue. After it turns blue you will need to get the SB back into init mode which you do by holding the button until it slowly flashes red

Now we can configure your network:
8) type DISCOVER <enter>
9) type CONF 1 <enter>
10) type SET SQUEEZECENTER_ADDRESS=111.222.333.444 <enter>
a. Don’t use 111.222.333.444 but instead use the address from above you wrote down
11) Type SAVE_DATA <enter>
12) Type RESET <enter>

Now you can download Squeezecenter and it should then run it, it should find your SB automatically.

Here is a summary of the steps once in the UDAP:

1. Factory reset SBR
2. Start udap_shell.pl and run these commands:

discover
conf 1
set interface=1
save_data
reset

3. Wait until LED turns blue, then put the SBR back in init mode (LED flashing red slowly):

discover
conf 1
set squeezecenter_address=<ip address>
save_data

* The LED should go white and the SBR should now be ready to use.
* If the LED flashes white rapidly, this is a firmware update.

WIRELESS INSTALL
Personally I’d first do it wired to make sure that everything works okay and then onto wireless.

You will now have to go to a computer that is running your wireless network and goto the CMD prompt and type IPCONFIG again. Write down the settings from above, but now also include the wireless ones.

They will look something like this:
Wireless Network Connection 2:
IP: 111.222.333.444
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 444.555.666.1

Also go to your router software and write down your SSID name and wireless channel. My wireless channel was 8 which my router labels as US, perhaps yours is the same. If not substitute yours below for where I have written 8. For my SSID name I have chosen mySSID, replace with yours. Lastly you will need your WEP key as well. Replace all of the 6’s with your WEP key.

Once you have these settings the steps are similar to above.

*note the set command can have as many set commands after it as you want. I set everything on one line from set all the way through the address*

1) Run the UDAP shell
2) Type these commands
discover
conf 1
set interface=0 lan_ip_mode=0 lan_gateway=192.168.106.1 lan_network_address=111.222.333.444 lan_subnet_mask=255.255.255.0 primary_dns=444.555.666.1 wireless_SSID=mySSID wireless_wep_on=1 wireless_keylen=1 wireless_mode=0 wireless_region_id=14 wireless_wep_key_0=66666666666666666666666666 wireless_channel=11 squeezecenter_address=111.222.333.444
save_data
reset

If you are using the more secure WPA this method has been outlined. (I haven’t tested it yet, but will later and update the thread)

WPA 1:

set wireless_SSID=MySSID wireless_mode=0 wireless_region_id=14 wireless_wpa_on=1 wireless_wpa_mode=1 wireless_wpa_psk="Top Secret!"

WPA 2, TKIP+AES:

set wireless_SSID=MySSID wireless_mode=0 wireless_region_id=14 wireless_wpa_on=1 wireless_wpa_mode=2 wireless_wpa_cipher=3 wireless_wpa_psk="Top Secret!"

Logitech doesn’t support this directly, but their help desk was kind enough to point me to this thread when I called their help line: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread...controller

And the real install instructions here:
https://projects.robinbowes.com/Net-UDAP...pProcedure

Between Logitech jkish & sic0048 I was able to get this working rather easily. Thanks guys!!
deephaven, i would like to install the sbr on a vista machine. i followed the above directions and got to the point where i typed in DISCOVER. i got no response from the discover command. should the above work on a vista machine?

edit: i have emailed tech support asking if the udap setup instructions should work for vista. will advise if i hear anything. in the mean time, has anybody got an sbr to work with vista using this setup procedure?
I could not get it to work in vista x64 or x86.
I had the same problem from my Vista x32 machine. I ended up setting it up from my CQC master server which is Windows XP. Worked fine then.
Sacedog Wrote:I had the same problem from my Vista x32 machine. I ended up setting it up from my CQC master server which is Windows XP. Worked fine then.
interesting...i have an xp machine i could use to set it up, but my master server is vista. once setup, it should work fine with master server, right?
gacevich Wrote:interesting...i have an xp machine i could use to set it up, but my master server is vista. once setup, it should work fine with master server, right?

The SBR setup process doesn't have anything to do with running the SC server or CQC running on the master server.

Is the SC server going to run on the Master Server?

Do you already have the SC server up and running?
jkish Wrote:The SBR setup process doesn't have anything to do with running the SC server or CQC running on the master server.

Is the SC server going to run on the Master Server?

Do you already have the SC server up and running?
my plan is to put SC on the Master Server (vista). any issue with this?

I had SC installed on the MS then ran into problems with SBR setup and have subsequently uninstalled SC.
gacevich Wrote:my plan is to put SC on the Master Server (vista). any issue with this?

I had SC installed on the MS then ran into problems with SBR setup and have subsequently uninstalled SC.

I use WinXp, but as far as I know, it works fine on Vista too.
used and xp machine to set up SBR...worked like a champ. then installed squeezecenter on my vista based master server but squeezecenter could not find the SBR. does SC need to be installed on the master server? hopefully, not, then i could use an xp machine.
gacevich Wrote:used and xp machine to set up SBR...worked like a champ. then installed squeezecenter on my vista based master server but squeezecenter could not find the SBR. does SC need to be installed on the master server? hopefully, not, then i could use an xp machine.

Shouldn't have to install SC on the master server or on WinXp.

So you got the white light on the SBR?

If so, I think that it means that the SBR has contacted the SC server.

Did you pull down the combo box at the top right of the SC Web interface that says choose player?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How To Configure SmartThings as Primary ZWave Controller batwater 22 17,382 02-01-2022, 04:50 PM
Last Post: kfly
  How to use Fibaro HC2 as your zWave primary controller kjaerligkatt 3 3,629 11-27-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  How To: Logitech Squeeze Center Driver jkish 328 140,062 12-17-2010, 02:09 AM
Last Post: gacevich
  How to install a IV on a HP t57xx series thin client sic0048 169 105,691 06-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Last Post: beelzerob