Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
States - can we get them off global variables in the future
With all the work with global variables and now the ability to have widgets show stats of them, it seems a natural progression to allow you to define template states via the use of global variables. Currently you can only use device fields. So unless I want to use a global variable driver field simply to track the status of a global variable, I cannot use them for template states.

Just a thought.

Thanks,
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
Yeh, this has been requested many times. It just needs the time to do it. It should be doable enough.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
It appears this hasn't yet been implemented. I know you have LOTS of 5.0 tasks on your plate, but I'll add my vote for this feature.
In a way it has, though it may not be immediately apparent or necessarily the form you want. This is from the 4.7 release thread:

Quote:Add the ability, within the IV, to reference global variables in the expressions within the Values tab and in the expressions used in states. This has long been requested, so go ahead and get it done. It's only global variables, no field references, no runtime values.

So you can use them in terms of getting their values in expressions to use for comparison.
Dean Roddey
That's interesting, but it looks like it may not help. What I want to do is to define several different states based on the value of a global variable. It appears that right now, I can enter a global variable token in the "Compare Value" textbox, to compare it to a device field, but I can't compare the value of a global variable to a fixed string. Is that correct?
Yeh, the variables themselves can't be the thing that has the original value to compare to. It can only provide the comparison value.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Widget color and states bryanb 10 2,478 08-14-2020, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Global Variables in the Event Server context lleo 1 1,065 05-16-2020, 11:21 AM
  Variables Driver Client gReatAutomation 4 1,667 04-25-2020, 12:46 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  A couple of quick questions with design and states ghurty 7 1,755 04-21-2020, 11:50 AM
  Problem with Accesssing Variables Driver Client Interface kblagron 5 2,127 03-05-2020, 02:24 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Trouble with Variables gReatAutomation 1 985 08-02-2019, 03:08 PM
  Global Cache Driver gReatAutomation 4 1,689 07-06-2019, 05:08 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Copy and Paste into Global Cache Client Interface kblagron 3 2,213 11-01-2018, 02:23 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Variables Driver jkmonroe 10 4,104 01-05-2018, 08:29 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Create Global Action from IV? jkmonroe 3 2,345 12-30-2017, 12:04 PM