Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One computer, two IVs?
A general question. Can I use a single computer to run two instances of IV on two different monitors? I'm finalizing my bedroom's control and looking at getting 12" touchscreens for "his and her" controls on each bedside table. I'd love to be able to get a single fanless computer to run both screen. Possible?

If so, any special tricks?
You would need something like betwin. It allows you to run two or more isntances on windows from the same windows. A bit like two people logging onto the same machine at once. (search the forum for more info on it)

I have confirmed that it works with CQC IV in some testing.

You may be better of with two small touch screens (built in PC) with a wifi because to use just touchscreens will mean that there are cables required (video, touchscreen USB/Serial and power), whereas a wireless solution will be much neater (but more expensive)

Mick
There's only one mouse, so you would interfere with each other if you tried to use them at the same time. As mentioned you need two machines or something that lets you use one machine for two users at once.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Yeah, that's what I was figuring. I was hoping there was some magic that let you assign the input from one USB to one IV instance and the other USB to the another IV instance.

I've got a virtual machine capable quad-core file server that is way underutilized sitting right below the bedroom in the 'data closet'. Is anyone running multiple versions of IV on virtual machines? I've not done any VM stuff in the past, so I'm not even sure I how/if you can assign users inputs to different VM's.
I'm not sure that the VM stuff will allow you do do multiple simultaneous users. I've never messed with it, but i'm guessing not. It will require something that makes Windows multi-user, and which virtualizes the hardware.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Thats where betwin if good. You can assign a mouse and keyboard to a particular screen (hence IV). I dont like their pricing model now, but for one extra screen its going to cost around US$100 (last time I looked) which is significantle cheaper than a new PC and a copy of Windows.

Mick
I'm not sure it's exactly what you're talking about, but I run three nokia internet tablets by RDPing on each of them to a single virtual machine running vista + the multiple rdp hack (so each tablet has it's own desktop running it's own separate instance of the IV process).
znelbok Wrote:Thats where betwin if good. You can assign a mouse and keyboard to a particular screen (hence IV). I dont like their pricing model now, but for one extra screen its going to cost around US$100 (last time I looked) which is significantle cheaper than a new PC and a copy of Windows.

It looked like it was $300 when I glanced at it. I'll look closer to see if it is indeed $100. That get's almost worth it (a capable thin client can be had for about $125. But the betwin/rdp option reduces the numbers of running computers, which even I admit is now getting a little past silly in my house.
you should be able to use VMs independently. It depends on what software you use, but if you use serial touchscreens you can assign com ports to specific VMs. I know for certain that VirtualPC, VirtualBox, and Parallels all let you specify.

I suppose you could just use 2 monitors, 1 displaying a VM with its COM port and the 2nd native with its COM port or USB. How that will work with the mouse, I dont know, but it cant hurt to try.

Micco Wrote:Yeah, that's what I was figuring. I was hoping there was some magic that let you assign the input from one USB to one IV instance and the other USB to the another IV instance.

I've got a virtual machine capable quad-core file server that is way underutilized sitting right below the bedroom in the 'data closet'. Is anyone running multiple versions of IV on virtual machines? I've not done any VM stuff in the past, so I'm not even sure I how/if you can assign users inputs to different VM's.
Thanks for the link to VirtualBox.

Quote:USB device support. VirtualBox implements a virtual USB controller and allows you to connect arbitrary USB devices to your virtual machines without having to install device-specific drivers on the host. USB support is not limited to certain device categories.

It looks like just the ticket.

Due to the physical location of my server room, I should be able to run three IV touch screens off of that machine, in addition to my main Windows 2003 interface in the server closet. It will be a big savings in computer capital and in daily energy usage.

It will also allow virtualization of machines for RPD connections, so those people struggling to make their 5700's perform might be able to use a central server do the heavy lifting and let their 5700 just concentrate on displaying the image (if they have gigabit ethernet, I suppose.)

Quote:
VRDP remote access.
You can run any virtual machine in a special VirtualBox program that acts as a server for the VirtualBox Remote Desktop Protocol (VRDP). With this unique feature, VirtualBox provides high-performance remote access to any virtual machine. A custom RDP server has been built directly into the virtualization layer and offers unprecedented performance and feature richness.

On top of this special capacity, VirtualBox offers you more unique features:
Extensible RDP authentication. VirtualBox already supports Winlogon on Windows and PAM on Linux for RDP authentication. In addition, it includes an easy-to-use SDK which allows you to create arbitrary interfaces for other methods of authentication.

USB over RDP. Via RDP virtual channel support, VirtualBox also allows you to connect arbitrary USB devices locally to a virtual machine which is running remotely on a VirtualBox RDP server.

Since VirtualBox is priced so competitively for non-commercial use (read 'free'), I'm definitely going to give it a try.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transferring CQC to new computer MikeA 9 3,516 04-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Last Post: MikeA
  Audio/Computer Problem - help diagnosing sic0048 4 2,486 01-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Last Post: beelzerob
  Using Domain - now computer won't connect sic0048 17 5,976 03-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Last Post: sic0048
  Low Power Computer for CQC Installation thall411 2 1,992 12-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Last Post: froop
  HP's touch screen computer Brightan 3 2,058 08-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Last Post: sic0048
  Rethinking My Computer Setup cavalier240 21 6,327 05-14-2008, 02:23 AM
Last Post: jmwhooper
  Automatically shutting off and turning on seconday computer Bauer83 11 3,854 06-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Bauer83
  Recommendations for a CQC computer? 3pedal 6 2,651 01-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Last Post: IVB
  multiple computer install question wolverines 7 2,497 12-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Computer Restarting Itself Acoba 9 2,458 12-19-2006, 12:35 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey