Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tablet Wireless Signal Issues
I am having a problem with my tablets. The signal seems very weak as I roam my house, and CQC seems very resource intensive on the wireless signal. It is not uncommon for me to go from one floor to the next and get all ???? everywhere on the screen. I am currently using 2 WAP2000 AP's from linksys, does anyone have any suggestions on better units, or units that roam better, or handle more square footage, my home is around 3500 square feet and i really need to be able to move freely from location to location and have my tablet not loose signal. I am aware that these tablets due to hardware constraints have smaller wireless cards but there has to be a better way.
Well it is my understanding that most wireless cards do not actually roam very well. In otherwords, they initially connect to the strongest signal (if networs are set up with same SSID and password), but they will not change that connection until it is dropped. So while you might expect the card to keep connected to the strongest signal, even if that means switching to the other AP, in reality it doesn't work like that.
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
roaming has to be done on both sides, the AP and the WiFi card. The only equipment that I am 100% certain does this are the Cisco Aironets and Colubris Networks simply because thats what I have worked with.

A lot has to be addressed with roaming, the least of which is DHCP. I would highly doubt that Best Buy routers can do this properly. You may want to check out WDS in case it could be helpful (i really dont know).

Good luck!
jkmonroe Wrote:roaming has to be done on both sides, the AP and the WiFi card. The only equipment that I am 100% certain does this are the Cisco Aironets and Colubris Networks simply because thats what I have worked with.

A lot has to be addressed with roaming, the least of which is DHCP. I would highly doubt that Best Buy routers can do this properly. You may want to check out WDS in case it could be helpful (i really dont know).

Good luck!

leeintralogic,

jkmonroe indicated both the AP and the WiFi card need to support roaming: The APs can be replaced with the Cisco's or Colubris, but you still need to find out if you can upgrade the tablet's internal wifi card to a roaming one if needed. Are the tablets DTresearch OEM type?
i think it is they are from vidabox and i just looked up picture and it is a dt research web dt is that good or bad?
leeintralogic Wrote:i think it is they are from vidabox and i just looked up picture and it is a dt research web dt is that good or bad?

Obviously you can't change the Wifi card in the tablet, but even so I'm not a networking person (and I'm not questioning jkmonroe) from what I Googled this morning I learned that there are different types of Roaming.

Some are very optimized 802.11r that require both sides to support and some that supported only by the access point and no mention of any requirements for the Wifi Card (people report a major improvement just replacing to those AP - might be fast enough for you client not to see the ??? or a short blink of it.

You might need to optimize the support for the second scheme (AP only) by tweeking the parameters in the setup utility of the tablet.

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/ISTMAIN/Dis...ureId=1687
you should ask sergio, i'm sure you're not the first one with this issue.
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CQC and my Samsung windows tablet ellisr63 1 470 09-04-2021, 01:12 PM
Last Post: ellisr63
  Wall tablet/touchscreen recommendations? rhosch 17 6,265 10-01-2019, 10:51 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  RadioRa2 HVAC Issues avtexan 67 24,252 10-01-2018, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Aprilaire T-Stats Issues avtexan 5 3,581 04-17-2018, 06:07 PM
Last Post: khill
  Firmware issues on Harmony Hub? Dean Roddey 0 1,721 08-26-2016, 09:14 AM
  taRiva cxn issues = maybe changing equipment to a dual-usage approach IVB 20 7,310 01-05-2016, 09:11 AM
  Wireless and attractive CQC "button"/keyfob? IVB 5 3,262 06-22-2015, 06:20 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Installation Issues with CQC 4.7.1 and WHS V1 kblagron 2 2,473 05-11-2015, 07:32 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Issy issues solved??? Deane Johnson 1 2,193 01-20-2015, 05:54 PM
  Windows 8.1 tablet options, February 2014 Mark Stega 38 19,006 11-12-2014, 07:51 AM
Last Post: Bal