Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NWS Weather Alert Driver
The way to do it driver agnostic would be to filer on "Is User Action" and then in the action for the event use GetUserActionVals. This will give you the Type and the Value. So you can then check first if the type is of WeatherAlert and if so do the appropriate thing with Value (event data). That is the best you can do and keep it generic.
It's the early bird that catches the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
Smart, jrlewis...thanks. That'll work.

Ya Dean...the driver only works for a single weather zone, so if you wanted to monitor, say, home and work...or home and your family home zones too...or if you live at the intersection of several zones, and wanted to monitor them all...then you'd have to install a driver instance for each zone.

If this driver goes well, I could see letting the user enter multiple zones. You'd still get the X number worst alerts, though...which means if you select a total of 3 alerts at a time and there's 3 bad ones in one area and 2 in another...you'll only see the 3. So I'm iffy on doing that.
thanks jrl, it works. Now if we get the bad weather at night, our TTS will tell us about it and turn the lights on. I had our TTS saying "Tornado Warning" every 10 seconds, and the wife said "Well that would scare the bejezzus out of me to wake up to."
Just to give a little update. The driver seems to be working just great (with the exception of the InPolygon" fields as noted below). We had several severe thunderstorms roll through our area last night and had multiple alerts and came and went at different times. I don't think we had more than 4 alerts at any 1 time, but there where about 7 different alerts throughout the evening. The driver seemed to update everything properly and kept the most severe alert first.

Unfortunately, my wife was using the laptop, so I didn't get to create my triggered events until after the storms had rolled through. But I did create a trigger than fires when two things happen - 1) There is a "Severe" alert (triggering off the "severity" field) AND 2) there is an "Immediate" threat (triggering off the "urgency" field).

Currently the triggered event only sends out the discription to the SagePopUp driver, but I hope to get the TTS working tonight.

After rereading the first post, I may change my trigger to go off the "Special Alert" field instead, but that should be an easy change.

One note - I never have any information in the InPolygon fields. Is this field working for other people? Perhaps my alerts don't provide that information, but I would be surprised if that is the case. When I set the driver up, I left the Lat and Long fields blank, so it should be trying to pull that info from the CQC setup. Again, I don't have any information in the fields, so "Not Available" doesn't even show up.
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
Glad to hear it's workin'!

FYI, as indicated in the first post, and a couple posts back....the InPolygon field doesn't work yet. :tounge I've found the algorithm I'll need already, I just haven't had the time yet to implement it.

Remember, the SpecialAlert field goes true (and the WeatherAlert event gets sent) if:

1) The weather event matches one of the events you selected during driver install
OR
2) There is an alert with EXTREME and IMMEDIATE conditions.

The special alert field is kinda redundant with the user event I send out too, but oh well.

I'd consider adding more events to send out, if you have any particular requests. I could see wanting to trigger off of severe weather too, not just the user-defined/extreme weather. But then again, just putting a trigger on the Severity1 field would be enough to capture that, as you're doing.

Anyway, glad it's working for ya, and keep me updated if it doesn't seem to be anymore. It's working for us too, but we've only had Short Term Forecasts since I installed it.
Ok, I added the code for InPolygon, and my bare testing seemed to show it worked. So give it a try.
I have one basic alert and the inpolygon shows as "Not available" which seems right because there is no lat and long in the alert message.

One question however. If I use the SpecialAlert field to trigger off and there is an old alert that has already triggered the SpecialAlert field, will a new alert retrigger the field again if it meets the SpecialAlert criteria? In other words, if the field is already "True" and I trigger off a "True" status, will another "True" write to the field cause the trigger to reactivate again?
Other systems used:
good, sounds like the inpolygon is doing what it should.

by the way, I'd be interested in seeing some of your interfaces once you get those setup. I don't have a separate one for weather alerts at this time, and am not sure I will...but it'd be interesting to see. Right now I just have a small red piece of text on my weather page for whatever Event1 is.

The SpecialAlert turns true (and WeatherAlert event is sent) if the previously mentioned conditions occur. They STAY true (are not written to again) as long as the condition remains. As soon as there are NO weather alerts that meet the condition, then SpecialAlert goes False. So, if SpecialAlert currently is true, and more weather alerts occur that also meet the required conditions, then nothing changes.

Also, if you're triggering off the SpecialAlert field, then you don't have to worry even if I did keep writing "True" to that field. I'm pretty sure Triggers only occur for field value changes. So i'd have to write False then True for your Trigger to occur again.

Make sense? :-?
Thanks for the information. It does make sense.

But I have to decide how I want to act on that information. The one thing I learned a couple of nights ago is that the alerts can change quite a bit overtime as the storms build up. So you might start with a severe thunderstorm watch, then have it upgraded to severe thunderstorm warning and finally a Tornado warning might be issued.

If you set your user defined action to react to both Severe Thunderstorm Warning and a Tornado Warning, your trigger probably would not react to the Tornado Warning because in all likelyhood, it was issued well after the Thunderstorm Warning, but before the Thunderstorm warning expired.

What I will probably end up doing is changing my user defined alerts to only the most severe and urgent alerts - Tornado Warning, Nuclear Station alert (we live near one), Radiological Alert, etc. All those things that you want to be woken up at night for - which is exactly how I'll program the system - to TTS the alerts in our bedroom regardless of time.

Then I'll create another set of triggers for all "Severe" and "Urgent" alerts (which would include Severe Thunderstorm Warnings, etc) and set the trigger to TTS the rest of the house if it is not the middle of the night. I don't want to be waken at night unless I need to evacuate or head to the basement. This would also allow a new TTS to be spoken each time the alert changes. With the storms a couple of day ago, there where several Severe Thunderstorm alerts issued when new information was available. But the fields should have been rewritten to by the driver because each time a new alert is issued, it pushes the old alerts down a number. So if I trigger off the first set of alert fields, they will be rewritten to everytime there is a new alert - even if some of the information in the fields is the same as the previous alert.

As far as my screens go, I'll be more than happy to get some shots up. Basically I have done something very similar to you in that I have a field text marquee box that shows the Discription1 field. I think I may change this to a non-marquee box that simply shows the Event1 field since the marqee is a little annoying and hard to read. I then have an invisible command box on top of the text box that loads a new template with the severe alert information. Since I am running 600x800, I really cannot display more than 1 alerts worth of information. So I have 5 check boxes that track the 5 alerts at the bottom of the page. I use the IsAlert (or similar) field. If there is an alert, the field is true and the button shows a blue background. If there is no alert, the field is false and the button shows the normal black background. So you can quickly hit the buttons that have current alerts and read the title, severity, urgancy, discription and instruction information for each one. It is still a work in progress, but I think may only get minor tweaks as I like the way it works.
Other systems used:
Thanks for the feedback. I agree, it can be a problem if you choose some non-extreme weather for alerts...it can bury the REAL bad alert that comes later. I have the same issue right now of really only being able to utilize the worst weather that comes up....but I *would* also like to be able to make announcements when it's just a severe thunderstorm warning...especially if we're in the polygon.

So let's think up some solutions here...

1) The SpecialAlert field can stay as it is....basically if any weather alert matches the criteria. However, I can send the WeatherAlert user event every time a new alert comes in that matches the criteria. Thus if you trigger off the user event instead of the SpecialAlert field, you'll catch everything that comes along. I'd really feel bad if someone missed the Tornado warning because the Tsunami Warning had already been issued...
2) We can add another category of weather events to be alerted to, but not for emergency purposes. That would be the Severe Thunderstorm and the like. Then I can just generate another user event when those occur, and you can respond accordingly.
3) I hadn't thought that people might want to track a particular alert. That being the case, it would be difficult because they do move around in the fields. Not sure exactly of a good fix for that in the current field system.... I suppose I can create an alertID per alert, and you could use that to reference it...we'd probably have to break out the QueryTxtVal type functions for that.

Other suggestions?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Russound MCA-66 on TCP driver lapointe.sc@gmail.com 5 87 05-24-2020, 06:23 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Samsung SmartTV Driver George M 0 34 05-20-2020, 09:04 AM
Last Post: George M
  OpenWeatherMap Weather Driver Using OneCall API kblagron 11 191 05-18-2020, 04:09 AM
Last Post: dlmorgan999
  RainMachine Sprinkler Irrigation Controller Driver kblagron 48 2,260 05-18-2020, 03:42 AM
Last Post: kfly
  Tesla Driver Driver kfly 10 719 05-08-2020, 08:49 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  JVC D-ILA Driver jokermac 34 3,862 04-13-2020, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Mark Stega
  Ambient Weather simplextech 2 352 01-10-2020, 05:37 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  LIFX Driver bobskie708 15 5,831 01-05-2020, 11:00 AM
  Weather Drivers simplextech 10 1,052 01-05-2020, 10:51 AM
  Universal Devices ISY Insteon Driver wuench 369 174,029 12-28-2019, 05:15 PM