Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official RIVA thread
Try out 3.0.12. There was an issue fixed there that could explain all or at least some of your issues. Even if it's only some of them, we want to only spend time looking into the ones that are not dealt with, not the ones that have been.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Sergio seems to have confirmed that the above fixes took care of the problem where the RIVA server stopped being able to connect. At least he hadn't had a problem by whenever he left it today. So it looks reasonable.

However, there is a wee issue in .12 (documented on the second to last page of the beta thread) that will prevent certain action commands from getting correctly updated and they may fail to be brought forward. So probably best to wait until lucky .13 and then move forward if you haven't already.
Dean Roddey
I updated the header to reflect the most recent stuff in 3.0.13 and up. It's mainly the addition of stuff to support embedded RIVA clients being able to map local hard buttons to hot keys that they can send to the server and have them mapped to an action.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:Sergio seems to have confirmed that the above fixes took care of the problem where the RIVA server stopped being able to connect. At least he hadn't had a problem by whenever he left it today. So it looks reasonable.

However, there is a wee issue in .12 (documented on the second to last page of the beta thread) that will prevent certain action commands from getting correctly updated and they may fail to be brought forward. So probably best to wait until lucky .13 and then move forward if you haven't already.

Yeah! I haven't had this happen again but I haven't extensively tested it recently.
One slowness we find on the iPhone is when using my friend's template that displays his movie library as a series of DVD cover thumbnails. I think he may be using much larger images that are then scaled down, which would explain the long transfer time. But one way or the other, it takes a disappointingly long time to fetch the image data (of course, it's fast once the images are cached).

Currently, I fetch the images one after the other. I had the thought that by opening multiple parallel connections to the RIVA image server, I might be able to fetch the data that much faster. Does the image server support that sort of thing? If so, what would be a reasonable limit on number of parallel connections by a single client?
I wouldn't do the multiple connections. Ultimately, if he wants better performance he'll have to deal with the image size. Most of the repositories support small and large cover art, though it depends on which one. The small ones would be used by default, and generally if a separate small one isn't provided then the large one is scaled down to create the thumbnail.

We could of course perhaps add an addition option to allow the server to scale the images for you before tranmission perhaps.

Make sure that 'use large art' isn't checked on the CAB as well!
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:Make sure that 'use large art' isn't checked on the CAB as well!

Just tried it unchecked. It makes a huge difference! Thanks Dean - that was a lot easier than his other strategy...
What's the odds of creating a client for Android?

Work just got me a new Droid last week as my HTC touch had died.
OK, I'll hold off on the parallel image fetches, then. Do you think there is much pickup to be had from using a single connection to fetch all the images, rather than making a new connection for each? I had figured it wouldn't help much, and it would complicate my logic a little, but if you think it would be significant, I can try it.
Hard to say. I guess it's more to do with the overhead on the iPhone for establishing a connection and breaking it back down. Since it only happens until the images are cached, that would further reduce the benefit for a non-simple mode type client.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Html 5 Riva potts.mike 9 12,622 09-15-2013, 04:22 AM
Last Post: bjkiller
  Thinking about the next step in RIVA Dean Roddey 6 10,204 01-22-2013, 06:15 AM
Last Post: brianmount
  .Net RIVA Client Dean Roddey 146 108,855 02-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Transparent images in RIVA? SamVimes2 36 44,905 02-05-2011, 04:34 PM
  riva burkepaol4 1 8,049 12-17-2010, 11:39 AM
  Riva screen blanker on CF.NET froop 3 7,826 08-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Last Post: froop
  RIVA Connection batwater 6 8,340 07-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Last Post: batwater
  Java based RIVA Client? batwater 10 12,316 04-03-2010, 05:35 AM