Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official RIVA thread
SamVimes2 Wrote:Something that would be nice for the iPhone at least, on which the user can't add any new fonts, would be a way for the client to request font data though the existing image cache, or even a new 'font cache'...

How would you actually make use of them though? You are going to get a raw TT type font file. Unless you have some way of installing them from within the RIVA client program, it wouldn't really help.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
brianmount Wrote:Is there in fact a way to detect, either officially or via heuristic examination of the RIVA command flow, that the template size has changed? If not, do you have any suggestions on how I should attack this problem?

We can always add a new message in the next version of the protocol that will send you the name of a newly loaded base template and the size of it, and maybe some other info if that's useful.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:How would you actually make use of them though? You are going to get a raw TT type font file. Unless you have some way of installing them from within the RIVA client program, it wouldn't really help.

the iPhone SDK has methods that can load and render a truetype font in an app:
http://www.waterworld.com.hk/en/node/157

i'd be pretty surprised if the .net cf and android platforms didn't have similar methods, but you should let an expert weigh in.
But if it couldn't actually install them, then it would have to download that information every time it ran. TTF fonts are usually from 100K up to 1MB or so. That probably wouldn't be very practical, would it? That would be way larger than the template data itself, up to ten times larger.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:But if it couldn't actually install them, then it would have to download that information every time it ran. TTF fonts are usually from 100K up to 1MB or so. That probably wouldn't be very practical, would it? That would be way larger than the template data itself, up to ten times larger.

I just meant that users can't install fonts in the same way they (sometimes) can on a windows CE device - the joy of an apple product! Apps are free to store and consume whatever resources they want (within some other appl-y limits obviously).

The transport font that a lot of us use is only 17k, and would save much more than that in image downloading. in addition, hopefully the same cross-session image-caching stuff you'll hopefully think about for 3.2 would extend to fonts, and even a larger one could be downloaded just once.

now, looking more closely at the license of this particular font, it seems possible they would give us permission to use the font as a resource in the app. but IVB asked the same question about a totally different platform; seems like this will come up enough to warrant some though about a more general solution
I've been distracted by other projects, so things are going slower than expected... When I tried to port the MessagePacket.cs from the .NET RIVA client, I realized that the Android platform doesn't have any unsigned integer/byte, as it is java based... So the question is, do I have to waste memory going uint16 --> int32, or would the values actually fit in uint16 --> int16? I know that for the byte I don't have a choice, with values like 0xF1...
Field Generator 0.65: Create CQC fields on the fly, from external applications.
Mobile templates 0.4: Main resolution of 320x480 with navigation side bars (384x544).
Sage Media Server 1.1.3 + Sage Player 2.7.8: Display and manipulate SageTV information or player.
TaRIVA 1.26: Android RIVA client.
Did the web image widget ever get integrated into the RIVA protocol? I'm working templates for the iPad and they are needed for the squeeze center driver.
potts.mike Wrote:Did the web image widget ever get integrated into the RIVA protocol? I'm working templates for the iPad and they are needed for the squeeze center driver.

No, that would require huge changes because it's really just completely out of sync with the way that RIVA works, and would require substantial changes in the clients as well to support it.
Dean Roddey
It hasn't yet. Dean has indicated the 3.3 timeframe. JKish has also suggested he's working on some updates to his templates so between these two items I've been holding off on serious SC iPad template work.
Dean, do you mean web widgets or web image widgets? Based on this post and some other discussions I'd been looking forward to web image widgets in the advanced RIVA protocol.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Html 5 Riva potts.mike 9 13,719 09-15-2013, 04:22 AM
Last Post: bjkiller
  Thinking about the next step in RIVA Dean Roddey 6 10,973 01-22-2013, 06:15 AM
Last Post: brianmount
  .Net RIVA Client Dean Roddey 146 118,395 02-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Transparent images in RIVA? SamVimes2 36 48,055 02-05-2011, 04:34 PM
  riva burkepaol4 1 8,336 12-17-2010, 11:39 AM
  Riva screen blanker on CF.NET froop 3 8,170 08-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Last Post: froop
  RIVA Connection batwater 6 8,826 07-16-2010, 04:46 PM
Last Post: batwater
  Java based RIVA Client? batwater 10 13,054 04-03-2010, 05:35 AM