Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rain8Net Controller Help
I am struggling to figure out the most effective way of setting up the CQC automation for this controller.

I have six zones and would like to control it as follows:

- a check box for each of the seven days of the week which allows me to pick which days it runs.
- a duration box which would allow me to set the watering duration (this could be applicable for each watering day chosen)
- a master selection which would allow for the weather forecast to override my settings
- a manual section to turn the system on at will

Maybe I just need some inspiration from your systems that utilize this controller - any body have any tips/programming tricks you can lend me?

Thanks,

David
I think that the second one won't be very easily doable, at least in a way that is persistent across restarts of the system. The others are all doable. The first requires that you be on the beta versions, because it wasn't until then that the ability to set schedules from user actions was added.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I am running 2.4.26 - is this recent enough?

If the user selected duration is not possible, how does one set the time?

Thanks.
Not sure, but you should move up to the latest version either way. We need to get people up to the lastest versions so that we can know all is well for the upcoming release. A LOT has improved and been fixed since then.

For a scheduled event the event itself would control how long the sprinklers would stay on.

Well, I guess you could have separate start/end scheduled events for each day. So effectively you could control when the start and stop occured which would indirectly allow you to control the time each one is on.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:Well, I guess you could have separate start/end scheduled events for each day. So effectively you could control when the start and stop occured which would indirectly allow you to control the time each one is on.

Can this be controlled and or set from the IV.
In the beta versions you cans set the schedule info for scheduled events. Actually, for that matter, in the betas you can also set the default value for a variables driver field. So you could effectively use a variables driver instance to hold the run length values for each day. The default value is persisted and reloaded when the system restarts.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:In the beta versions you cans set the schedule info for scheduled events. Actually, for that matter, in the betas you can also set the default value for a variables driver field.

You mean from an action, Dean? If so, how? Didn't see anything mentioned in the Supported Devices for the Variables Driver, and being able to set the default, say from a macro, would be helpful.
Yeh, I need to document that. You can send it a backdoor command. Hold off on that though, because I'm going to tackle the whole issue with the backdoor commands. It'll be a bit painful this late in the game, but waiting longer will make it that much more so.

Currently they take a number to indicate what command. That just isn't very good. It would be a lot more useful to take a string so that it's more self documenting.
Dean Roddey
My system is probably overly complicated as I set it up before the new functionality. I use a variables driver with fields for the duration (run time) of each zone and I set the defaults from the admin inteface, but I have an IV page that lets me view and alter those durations (but is not persistant across CQC restarts). I also have an overall EnableWatering field that I can use to disable the scheduled watering. I use a countdown driver with one for each zone. I have a scheduled event with the days and overall start time that I set via the admin interface. This event starts the rain8 for 1st zone and starts the countdown timer for that zone with the duration from the variables driver for that zone. An action is triggered when that timer runs out that stops that zone and starts the next and so on.

The IV page also has buttons that let me select and start any zone and set a variables driver field for "scheduled" and then the sequence will run from there. Or I have buttons for each zone that I can run individualy and set the variables driver field to "manual" so it will run that zones duration and quit.

I have a display for currently running zone and remaining time for that zone.
kayemsi Wrote:I have an IV page that lets me view and alter those durations (but is not persistant across CQC restarts).

kay, note what I was saying above with Dean...as soon as he documents the magic decoder ring of how to do it, you can then alter the default value of the variable driver values, which DOES persist across restarts. Woot! Persisting variables! (wait...is that an oxymoron? Confusedhock: )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fibaro RGB controller pinballmark 60 37,151 07-15-2021, 02:07 PM
Last Post: zaccari
  Z-Wave PC Controller simplextech 0 3,311 01-06-2020, 05:54 AM
Last Post: simplextech
  USB ZWave Controller Configuration bobskie708 6 6,109 11-30-2017, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  RGB LED Controller NightLight 6 5,396 01-04-2017, 02:09 AM
Last Post: znelbok
  Irrigation Caddy .vs. Rain8net Pro kblagron 6 4,252 06-23-2016, 12:57 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  ISY zWave controller IVB 4 4,507 06-21-2015, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Controlling Insteon Scene Controller buttons ellisr63 8 6,048 10-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost
  Rain8net re-install penngray 7 3,451 02-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Last Post: DaveB
  Rain8net setup kayemsi 44 12,999 07-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Last Post: beelzerob
  Elan Z├é┬À630 Series II multi-Room controller penngray 8 8,139 05-11-2009, 04:43 AM
Last Post: klindy