Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Set up a hardware DVD video library
I think the how to section is a great idea and whilst this is a roundabout way to do this, I would like to know what is the best and easiest/quickest way to get a DVD library set up with a hardware (Sony 777E S) and 300+ DVD's. The DVD's are generally region 2, not region 1 if this makes any difference.
Well you are going to need two things, the 777 driver and a Movie Repository.

Unfortunately nothing is going to save you from have to either load the info manually for each DVD or insert each DVD into a PC and have it download the info from the internet, no matter which repo you select. If you already have your data in MyMovies or DVDProfiler you can just use the repo or import for those.

I just spent about a week or so, used the CQC repo and imported each DVD. The import is automatic but the data and cover art aren't always ideal. So there is usually a little editing for each disc and I would just open a browser to DVDEmpire.com to get cover art. (They have nice large size cover art). Even if all the data is correct you are going to have to put in the slot number at the very least.

The good news is, once it's done, it's a lot easier to maintain.

After that you just need to follow the instructions in the how-to videos on the CQC site to build your template in the interface editor.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
I went with DVDprofiler for this metadata issue. It isn't perfect (ie it is missing data and whole DVDs sometimes), but I found it had more accurate information than any of the other options with CQC.

With DVDPro, you simpy type in the UPC number of the DVD. If someone else has that disk and has added it to DVDPro's database, then that information will be prefilled on your system. Of course that information may be incomplete or worse, inaccurate. But for most disks, the information is complete and accurate. The only disks that I have trouble with are the kids stuff that just isn't as popular as the main stream movies.

Once you have your disk metadata complete in DVDPro, you then export the data into a XML file (it is a feature on the paid version of DVDPro, I don't think you can do this step on the trial version). Then you need to load the CQC DVDPro XML Repository and point it to the location of your XML file that you exported. The CQC driver will read all the XML information and get all that information into the correct fields. Then all your repository fields and widgets will look right in the IV.

When you get new movies and want to add them to the collection, you have to open DVDPro and get the movie into the program. Then you export the XML file again (overwriting the original file), and then you reload the CQC DVDPro XML Repo. There is a "ReloadDB" field in the driver that you set to "True" and it will read the XML file again. It will not automatically look for updates. So there is a little bit of a manual process to get the movies loaded into the CQC system.

To me, it was worth the $30 for DVDPro to keep from having to enter in 90% of the DVD information by hand into the CQC repository - even if it was just cutting and pasting from a metadata site. But that is just my person opinion. If you don't have a lot of movies, or you don't mind entering in the information, then you can do this without having to pay for another program (like DVDPro), but it will generally require more work.

Hopefuly that helps explain everything.
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
Thanks for the tips, I think i'll give DVD Profiler a go.
I just checked here and the trial version WILL export to an XML file until your collection gets to 50 DVS. So my assumption above was not correct.

So you could use the trial version and add 10-20 or even up to 49 DVDs to see how easy or hard it is. You can export the info to the XML file and see how the CQC driver works. If you like it, then you can purchase the software and enter in the code. This will unlock the rest of the features without having to re-enter any of the DVDs. So you won't loose anything if you try it and end up buying it.

Another benefit to using DVDProfiler that I forgot to mention is that you can upload your DVD database to their website. You can keep it private or make it public if you like, but it acts as a backup in case something happens to your computer. You won't have to reload all the DVDs if your hard drive crashes. You can reinstall everything and the reload your database from the on-line one you created. I've done this before and it is a huge benefit!
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
I have tried DVD Profiler and it works really well, has had no problems find the 10 or so of my region 2 DVD's I have tested it with.

I had some problems finding the IMAGE directory. I'm not sure if this location has changed recently but in v 3.5 it seems to default to:

My Documents\DVD Profiler\ScenePhotos

I've been to the office to borrow a bar code scanner and hopefully will have all my disks in the 777 by the end of the evening.
Turns out I have over 400 disks. A bit disappointed by that. Might have to get another 777 from somewhere Smile

DVD Profiler was exceptionally easy to use and with a barcode scanner getting all the disks in only took a couple of hours with help from my better half.
I believe IVB has a 777 up for sale in [thread=4386]the Buy/Sell section....[/thread]
Wuench

New member here trying to build a dvd library as well. This is an old thread so I am curious if there are currently better ways to do this. My media library consists of ripped dvds and blurays on a dedicated media server pc. thanks!
I always wanted to be somebody. In retrospect, I think I should have been more specific.
I use MyMovies as the Repo and XBMC as the media player.
Wuench

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Door locks and door video rhosch 24 1,986 11-07-2019, 12:35 PM
Last Post: rhosch
  Server hardware question rhosch 3 453 10-02-2019, 11:19 AM
Last Post: rhosch
  Server Hardware for WebRiva greyjeep 4 600 08-04-2019, 07:15 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  New tutorial video Dean Roddey 2 1,221 11-27-2018, 07:15 PM
Last Post: ellisr63
  Video Widget znelbok 67 28,373 04-12-2017, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Interface Viewer Hardware MikeW 10 5,963 01-02-2017, 12:42 PM
Last Post: NightLight
  Security video with CQC bryanb 19 6,208 04-22-2016, 05:13 PM
  Load personal video files into repository? brathnach 7 3,385 05-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Last Post: wuench
  Will this hardware do? rtarver 11 4,182 06-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Last Post: rtarver
  Best current Hardware/Software Media Player brathnach 18 5,377 05-13-2012, 07:57 PM