Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rethinking my whole strategy, but how to do the serial control?
jkish Wrote:It is a Digiport 1 that I purchased on eBay for about $50.

Can you provide a link to specs for this? googling is inconclusive, and Digi has like a million products.
Fonceur Wrote:The "global cache 100" would be one wired version of what you are looking for...

Of course! I forgot about those.

Does anyone have any experience with something like the Avocent ESP-4 MI?

Seems to be lower $/port than the GC, and I might need more than 1 or 2 ports in some locations.

For all these different IP<-->Serial devices, how do they work in general? CQC needs a COM port on a PC to talk to a device, right? How do i make it talk to a 'networked' serial port?

Thanks everyone for all the advice.
SamVimes2 Wrote:Can you provide a link to specs for this? googling is inconclusive, and Digi has like a million products.

I have a TS1: http://www.digi.com/pdf/prd_ds_portserverts.pdf

and also a TS16.

Normally these devices take a wired connection, but for the remote TS1, I have a wireless access point plugged into it.

You install a driver that redirects standard PC COM ports to the network.

CQC just sees it as a regular old PC serial ports.
jchurley Wrote:It probably depends on how many cat5 runs you have from your server to your A/V equipment (or if you can easily run more).

If you have, or can add, enough cat5 runs, I can attest to the fact that serial over cat5 is easy and allows for long runs - I'm using 2 Digi Edgeports, which connect to the servers USB port and provide 16 serial ports each. Of the 18 devices I'm controlling, some are obviously in the same rack, but others are in different rooms with cat5 runs of 50 feet or more.

If you go this route, check out monprice.com. They have great pricing on the DB9/RJ45 adapters. I don't use any pre-made serial cables - all my serial runs, even to equipment in the same rack, consists of an adapter on the Edgeport, a length of cat5, and then an adapter on the equipment itself.

To simplify things, the adapters on my Edgeport are all pinned out the same way and the cat5 runs are all straight through. That way if I replace a piece of equipment that was a straight connection with one that requires a null connection, I just change the adapter on the equipment end - which you may have to do anyway, since some equipment has male ports and others have female ports.

Hope this helps

Joe

Hi,

I was looking at the adapters on monoprice. I wanted to ask since these don't come pre-wired is it true that all that matters is the adapters on both sides of the connection are wired the same and then connected with a standard 568b cat5 cable?

Thanks,
rajeevc
SamVimes2 Wrote:Does anyone have any experience with something like the Avocent ESP-4 MI?

Seems to be lower $/port than the GC, and I might need more than 1 or 2 ports in some locations.

For all these different IP<-->Serial devices, how do they work in general? CQC needs a COM port on a PC to talk to a device, right? How do i make it talk to a 'networked' serial port?

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

That device appears to be just a serial server and is not the same as a GC. The GC also has IR ports and less serial ports.

SO if you don't need IR and just want serial ports on one cat 5 then that is the way to go.

In general there is software that you load that creates virtual com ports. CQC just uses the com port then and it does the rest.
rajeevc Wrote:Hi,

I was looking at the adapters on monoprice. I wanted to ask since these don't come pre-wired is it true that all that matters is the adapters on both sides of the connection are wired the same and then connected with a standard 568b cat5 cable?

Thanks,
rajeevc

rajeevc

There's probably an industry standard for the pin-out, but I don't think it matters as long as you don't mix in any pre-wired connectors down the road (or ones that someone else wired). As long as you create your own "standard" and use that consistently you should be fine. I just decided on one and documented it - it's a tab in the spreadsheet I use to track all my CQC stuff and I keep a printout in the box with my unused adapters. That way when I'm assembling a new one I don't have to go back and look at an existing one.

This is the little chart I created:
Code:
[B]Pin  Straight    Null[/B]
1    Yellow      Yellow
2    Red         Green
3    Green       Red
4    White       White
5    Black       Black
6    Blue        Blue
7    Brown       Orange
8    Orange      Brown

Hope this helps

Joe
Ok, I picked up a couple portservers on ebay.

Since they have rj45 serial ports (so no need to have an adapter on that side) do I need to obey a particular pin-out on the adapters on the equipment side?

Thanks again for all the helpful advice in this thread.
SamVimes2 Wrote:Ok, I picked up a couple portservers on ebay.

Since they have rj45 serial ports (so no need to have an adapter on that side) do I need to obey a particular pin-out on the adapters on the equipment side?

Thanks again for all the helpful advice in this thread.

Some info: http://www.bb-elec.com/bb-elec/literatur...eGuide.pdf
...and the other option is to throw everything in a rack, out of sight, and just run the A/V connections to the TV, speakers, etc. Smile

My setup has a 19" rack in the family room (oak paneled sides, tinted glass door) for the stuff i ever want to see on a daily basis... touchscreen, pre/pro with big volume knob, PS3, dvd player etc. And another 19" rack hidden in the basement with amps, UPSs, power filtering etc.

And the TV sits at the front of the room on the wall with no wires and no random boxes of electronics nearby Smile

Chris.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hue Lighting Control jokermac 17 6,664 03-28-2020, 06:18 AM
Last Post: jokermac
  Jandy Pool Control avtexan 20 8,902 06-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  CQC to PowerView Hub via Serial Driver Deane Johnson 18 8,656 05-14-2018, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Use single On/Off/Slider to control group jkmonroe 3 3,145 08-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Last Post: pinballmark
  Help figuring out projector serial control! Deane Johnson 19 8,592 07-30-2016, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Serial Commands for Hunter Douglas Hub! Deane Johnson 65 19,813 07-19-2016, 07:26 AM
  Harmony Hub Device Control jkmonroe 6 4,884 07-03-2016, 02:36 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  how deep is your (echo voice control) love? IVB 197 51,061 05-23-2016, 08:47 AM
  Problems with App Control in 4.8.3 update MikeA 2 2,876 04-07-2016, 07:29 AM
Last Post: MikeA
  Control surface - am I heading down a rat hole? kjaerligkatt 3 3,156 02-06-2016, 10:52 AM