Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Machine to Install the Server On?
I am finally getting ready to install CQC, and start integrating all of my HA. I currently have two machines that I could install the server on, and wanted to get opinions on which would be better.

1) C2D, 2GB RAM, currently running Sage 6.3 Server.
2) C2D, 4GB RAM, currently running Avermedia NV Software

My preference would be box #2, as I would really like to leave the Sage server alone, so that it is as stable as possible. I am worried that the Avermedia software will somehow cause problems, however.

I plan on using 3 seperate touchscreens to access the CQC server.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Actually I would recommend using the #1 machine. I have SageTV and CQC working just fine with each other. From what I've read, most CCTV DVR machines are pretty finicky. I think it will be easier and more reliable to use the SageTV machine.

Of course I am also using extenders to playback my SageTV material. If you are trying to do it directly from the machine, that might cause some issues.

FYI - I am currently using an old 3.0 GHz P4 machine with XP Pro for both SageTV and CQC without any problems.
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
I used to have it on my AverMedia box which was an old Intel 2.4GHz Pentium, then I moved it to my core2Duo SageTV box. both were pretty damn stable, but neither were doing any video rendering. All my touchscreens were PCs, (ie no RDP)
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
What kind of touch screens are you using? I would monitor each machines performance for a couple of days to see which one is currently working harder. Guess it would depend on how you have sage and avermedia setup. You may be using one more than the other, which would lead me to install CQC on the one that is not being used as much. Any stability problems with either one up to this point?
Chris

[COLOR="Blue"]
Simply Smart Technology
[/COLOR]
Sic are you doing any HD recording? I have a similar box I was going to use for my sage server till I could come up with something a little more modern. But if that would work for HD recording and cqc it leaves another box free for my render farm.
I do record HD via SageTV and a couple of HD tuners. But both are basically handling the encoding themselves and the computer is simply recording the data stream, so it doesn't require a lot of CPU power. I have a HDHomeRun and a Hauppauge HD-PVR.
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CQC Server? gReatAutomation 3 758 03-23-2020, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Server hardware question rhosch 3 1,374 10-02-2019, 11:19 AM
Last Post: rhosch
  Server Hardware for WebRiva greyjeep 4 1,499 08-04-2019, 07:15 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Master server PC Mark Stega 10 2,684 06-12-2019, 09:51 AM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  CQC error installing on server 2016 zane 3 1,461 05-28-2019, 12:07 PM
Last Post: zane
  master server crash tom 8 2,813 10-21-2018, 04:21 PM
  Install Error []dll is missing ControlFreak 2 2,915 11-05-2017, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ControlFreak
  CQC fresh install kfly 12 6,433 10-07-2017, 04:51 PM
  Anyone try a multi-site HA install using a VPN? IVB 17 10,609 09-06-2017, 01:18 AM
Last Post: NightLight
  MS Speech Platform configuration on Windows Server 2012 mbrown 3 3,347 08-30-2017, 09:34 AM