Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help needed getting started
rajeevc Wrote:Other than the Q1 is there any other device that does not have the RDP issues. Since my family is going to be using the system as well I need a control device with maximum reliability. What are the most common control devices used in professional installations?

Also, I wanted to ask what types wall panels are available for use with CQC?

I have blank wallplates in every room with speaker wire and cat5 behind them running down to the AV rack which was installed when the house was built. When the house was built I was thinking I would install a whole home A/V distribution system like an AMX, Crestron etc. so I had this wiring installed.

But now that I am considering CQC I was wondering if there is a wallplate I can put in that could use the wiring already installed and communicate with CQC?

Thanks again,
Rajeev

In the first quarter of 2009 (projected date) we should be able to supply 3.6" touch panels that fit into a quad electrical box. They will get their power over Ethernet (POE) so will require only the single Cat5.

For a preview, look here.
Mark Stega
Mark Stega Wrote:In the first quarter of 2009 (projected date) we should be able to supply 3.6" touch panels that fit into a quad electrical box. They will get their power over Ethernet (POE) so will require only the single Cat5.

Is that a quad or dual gangbox? or is it a 2 high by 2 wide?
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
rajeevc Wrote:Other than the Q1 is there any other device that does not have the RDP issues. Since my family is going to be using the system as well I need a control device with maximum reliability. What are the most common control devices used in professional installations?

Also, I wanted to ask what types wall panels are available for use with CQC?

I have blank wallplates in every room with speaker wire and cat5 behind them running down to the AV rack which was installed when the house was built. When the house was built I was thinking I would install a whole home A/V distribution system like an AMX, Crestron etc. so I had this wiring installed.

But now that I am considering CQC I was wondering if there is a wallplate I can put in that could use the wiring already installed and communicate with CQC?

Thanks again,
Rajeev

Well one of the biggest differences between Crestron and CQC is that Crestron has a lot of branded equipment that gets sold at full retail prices to the client. CQC doesn't have any branded hardware. Instead, it focuses on integrating existing hardware and systems into a single usable system.

So there is no CQC wallplate that you can buy for your needs. I'm sure there are lots of wall plates out there that you could use however. The problem if you are DIYing is that you have to find those yourself. When I say yourself, I mean you either searching and finding the answer or you asking others for help like you are doing. If you were paying an integrator to install everything, you'd just write a check and things would appear. Crestron would be a pay and have it appear type setup.

That being said, I guess the first step is to figure out what type of whole house audio (and possibly video) distribution system you want to use. Most of the manufactures use a method where they have a main switcher/amp/controller that sits in a cental location. You run speaker wires from this amp/controller to each speaker and you run a cat5e wire from the controller/amp to each location where you want a keypad.

It sounds like your wiring would allow you to use this type of set up. Check out this thread on AVS Forum that I started a few years ago when I was trying to decide what system I wanted to use. It is a little out of date, but most of the equipment talked about is still available today. There might be another device or two that is new and isn't listed, but that should give you a good start.

Just be aware that while a lot of the equipment discussed in that thread has a CQC driver, not all of it does. So if you get your heart set on a device that doesn't have a CQC driver, then you will need to find someone that can write it for you. There are several users on the forum that can/will do this. Some do it for a fee, some will do it for free in their spare time. So depending on how complicated the device is and how quickly you need the driver you might get one written for free. I have :-)
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
Mark Stega Wrote:In the first quarter of 2009 (projected date) we should be able to supply 3.6" touch panels that fit into a quad electrical box. They will get their power over Ethernet (POE) so will require only the single Cat5.

I guess another reason why Dean is working towards a new device interface system (not sure what to really call it - but the new and improved DNV).

It will be exciting to be able to integrate devices like this. I'm sure "Cost effective" is a relative term, but I eagerly await more information on it.
Other systems used:
IVB Wrote:Is that a quad or dual gangbox? or is it a 2 high by 2 wide?

I would guess it is really a dual box. The specs that he linked to list it at a 3.6" diagonal screen. I think it is about the size of a touch screen thermostat. In fact we have a touchscreen thermostat at work and it is 4" diagonally and I bet it fits in a dual gang box.

The screen will definitely be big enough to stand there and by very user friendly. I feel that the thermostat touch screen is decent size. This one will only be slighty smaller than that.

You can't read it from across the room, but it is also mono color only (blue and black). This screen is goint to be 24 bit color so that might make a difference too.
Other systems used:
sic0048 Wrote:I would guess it is really a dual box. The specs that he linked to list it at a 3.6" diagonal screen. I think it is about the size of a touch screen thermostat. In fact we have a touchscreen thermostat at work and it is 4" diagonally and I bet it fits in a dual gang box.

The screen will definitely be big enough to stand there and by very user friendly. I feel that the thermostat touch screen is decent size. This one will only be slighty smaller than that.

You can't read it from across the room, but it is also mono color only (blue and black). This screen is goint to be 24 bit color so that might make a difference too.
It is a quad box (one that holds two duplex outlets or a duplex outlet in one half and a switch/dimmer in the other half). It is also sometimes refered to as a 'two gang' box. So it is square, about 4" on a side.
Mark Stega

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting started in Z-wave pinballmark 31 12,459 12-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Last Post: pinballmark
  getting started cqc with a 8870, stuck kuchinn 3 2,535 01-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Help needed with Virtual Box IV Client Implementation ukbjorn2000 17 8,764 05-16-2011, 08:26 PM
  CQC server crashed, new server needed, what OS? penngray 6 2,753 01-03-2010, 02:38 PM
  Server not showing details in Admin - which service is needed znelbok 5 2,545 12-01-2009, 01:14 AM
  Some major C-Bus help needed Roscoe62 2 1,670 08-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Roscoe62
  Example Media Type Code Needed ASAP... AnthonyZ 8 3,228 07-17-2009, 12:53 PM
  HTML Expert needed... hucker 2 1,971 05-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Last Post: hucker
  Russound help needed hucker 11 3,571 05-06-2009, 12:36 PM
  scheduled event help needed znelbok 4 2,171 03-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Last Post: jrlewis