Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Night Light (UPB, ELK & CQC)
I am trying to do something simple--have a light come on at low level at night (Night is determined by turning Output 50 ON) when motion is sensed; a night light if you will. I would like the light to come on for specified period of time (say, 5 min) the turn off. my first attempt entailed using rules in elk. i was able to perform this with the following:

WHENEVER Study PIR (Zn 17) BECOMES NOT SECURE
AND Output 050(Out 50) STATE is ON
THEN SET Study [13(A13)] to 50% BRIGHT, FADE RATE,=0 FOR 5 MINS

This worked well enough until the wife asked to be able to turn the light ON at the light switch and leave it on. Additionally, if the light is ON (=100) don't let the PIR motion have it reset back to 50%. Through email correspondence with elk tech support, it turns out that if you use the light timer in ELK rules you cannot turn the timer off. This means that no matter what you do at the light switch, the light will turn off in five minutes. Elk suggested doing the following

WHENEVER Study PIR (Zn 17) BECOMES NOT SECURE
AND Output 050(Out 50) STATE is ON
AND Study[13(A13)] is SET AT LEVEL LESS THAN 75% BRIGHT
THEN SET Study [13(A13)] to 50% BRIGHT, FADE RATE,=0
THEN TURN Ouput 197 ON FOR 5 MIN

WHENEVER Output 197 STATE IS TURNED OFF
THEN TURN Study [13(A13)] OFF, FADE RATE = 0

This kinda worked. The problem turned out to be having the ELK know that the Study light was off if it was turned off by a link. if turned off by a link, the m1 would not update from a status of 100% and hence the light would not come on. i played will all sorts of variations of Study light status...=50%, <100% etc. But nothing worked. Then i saw the cqc upb driver and hoped that it would help me keep light status up to date.

so i set up the following in cqc:

I setup a Trigger on ELK PhysZone017 that triggers if IsEqual to Violated. Then i setup a triggered event for Fld Value Equals: ELK PhysZone017 Violated. In the action i have a Devices::FieldWrite(ELK.PLC-A13, 36)

My intention is to be more sophisiticated in the action once i can get the light to turn on when motion is sensed in zone017. however, this programming does not cause the study light to come on. am i doing something wrong with my trigger programming? thanks.
In the triggered event use New Fld Value Equals.

I don't know how well it works for UPB (it doesn't on my Centralite Elegance), on the Elk system you could try making a rule:

WHENEVER Light[1(A1)] IS TURNED ON BY SOME EXTERNAL DEVICE --Somebody turned on the light with the switch

then set an output that disables the PIR on/off routine until the output is turned off with another of the same Whenever commands that watches for someone to turn the switch off.

(Maybe you don't get that command with UPB devices)

Brian
thanks brian, i changed to New Fld Value Equals but there is still something wrong. i can see from watching the iv that a mapped image changes when that the pir (zone17) becomes violated but the light does not turn on. i have a command button with the same fieldwrite command as in my triggered event which works...so i think my fieldwrite command is correct. i also put in the triggered event action a fieldwrite command to turn on an elk output to see if that action would be carried out when triggered...no joy.

my sense is that my fieldwrite commands are correct but that my trigger is not triggering. how can i confirm that the trigger is triggering?
well, after some head scratching and poking around i finally got the event to trigger. in the vent filter i had the field equal to ELK Physzone017. once i put a period (".") in between ELK & Physzone017 it worked; i.e., ELK.Physzone017. What i am now noticing is a time delay that varies between when the zone is tripped and the light comes on. Is this just due to the time it takes the UPB and ELK drivers to poll the UPB switch?
I built an IV that displays the status of my study light via a field in the elk driver and via one in the upb driver. i am finding that they are not staying in sync. that is, when my triggered action turns the light on via the elk driver the elk driver fields reflect the true state of the light but upb driver fields don't. and, when i change the triggered event to turn the light on via the upb driver the elk driver fields do not reflect the correct state of the light. i have allowed hours for the two to sync back up but they don't.

tm: maybe i misunderstood, but isn't the upb driver supposed to keep the elk and upb driver fields in sync? if driver fields are out of sync and i use upstart to "get status" of the study light the two fields sync up once upstart gets status. so i think upb signals are being sent correctly over the electrical lines.
Does the UPB switch need to be configured to report back when it changes?

Brian
The only way a UPB switch can report a change is when it is locally controlled. Otherwise a request has to be made for a updated status.
Is there any reason that the UPB plugin can listen for other control signals sent to switches? When I used HomeSeer with the same PIM and UPB switches and network I have now with CQC, HomeSeer always had the updated info. In addition, when a light was switched, but for some reason the command didn't make it to the switch, that was correctly reported as well. With CQC, it seems that all commands are assumed to have worked, because the driver reports what the light should be, not what it actually is.
brosten: good thought. i checked and it is set to transmit

tmConfusedhould the upb driver update when the pim attached to the elk sends out a command?

anogee:listening to other upb commands and getting the status of the effected upb devices is what i thought the upb driver does.
anogee Wrote:Is there any reason that the UPB plugin can listen for other control signals sent to switches?
There is no reason it can't, it was just never added to the driver. Right now it only listens for links and then waits for the longest dim rate to finish for the devices part of the link and then request a status report from each device part of the link. I am sure I could also add the ability to watch for direct commands and then request a status report.
Quote: When I used HomeSeer with the same PIM and UPB switches and network I have now with CQC, HomeSeer always had the updated info. In addition, when a light was switched, but for some reason the command didn't make it to the switch, that was correctly reported as well. With CQC, it seems that all commands are assumed to have worked, because the driver reports what the light should be, not what it actually is.
To save on UPB Network congestion when a direct device is controlled from CQC it just assumes the command got to the device if it is accepted by the PIM. If I wait to update the field in CQC until I get confirmation that the command got to the device, that could slow down the driver a bit and also adds more traffic to the UPB Network.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Timbertech RGBW post cap light retrofit and CQC kfly 4 924 07-24-2021, 04:41 AM
Last Post: kfly
  Adding Christmas Light control to CQC with Lutron HW8 avtexan 10 6,688 11-18-2015, 12:35 PM
Last Post: avtexan
  Turning light off after certain time royalj7 8 3,110 11-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Last Post: royalj7
  Speaker wire beside light runs ewiz 6 3,502 06-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Last Post: klindy
  Single Light Widget 3DogKnight 4 2,598 06-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Last Post: 3DogKnight
  Triggered Event on "last light is off" IVB 18 3,982 12-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Last Post: rhamer