Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music Repository (and iTunes) again
After a little bit of umm.. let's say housekeeping, I'm trying to get my music repository going again.

Previously iTunes and the music was all on a shared folder on my desktop. I've now shifted the music to a NAS device, available as "\\fs\music". I still run iTunes locally on my desktop, and imported all my music into Itunes by adding the "\\fs\music" folder (ie, not a mapped drive).

After about 4 hours of trying to load the driver, CQC told me that it loaded about 329 titles, and rejected 19. Don't know what happened to the other 5200 songs in my iTunes XML!!

What I find really frustrating, is that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to figure out what the driver is doing. I see it "Driver 'Music' is trying to load its configuration" repeated over and over in the log viewer, but no further information, even with verbose logging set to "high".

Permissions on the share are fine, as I can log in as the CQC user and access \\fs\music ok. Plus it shares the same security for \\fs\movies, and the movies all work a treat.

I have upgraded to iTunes 8, so may have to try downgrading back to 7.x

I also recall reading on occassion some other alternatives for music repositories, along the lines of exporting from some or other format into an iTunes or JRiver XML, but haven't been able to find those threads again.

I'm currently also trying the file tag repository, but that's been loading for a good 20 minutes and I don't know how much further its got to go..

There's got to be an easier way to use an existing music collection in CQC!!
If you use the itunes driver it will skip any tracks that do not have complete meta data. i have a lot of tracks that were ripped form old custom albums and the such and I have slowly been going through and adding meta data by hand to get them show up in CQC.

Is the instance of itunes that your using on the computer you use as the master server? I have run into trouble when it is not. Also, Itunes 8 is not supported I ran into some weirdness when I upgraded so I downgraded.
-Mike
We've not lookd at iTunes 8 yet, and others reported it doesn't support it. You can see what the driver isn't happy about by enabling logging and bringing up the log monitor.

If the File Tab repo is taking taht long to load, then you must either have some huge repository or you have slow access to the NAS, which might also explain why some of the issues with iTunes as well.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Will try and downgrade and see what happens.

I'm think that my NAS speed is sufficient. My network is GB throughout, and actually copying all the MP3s (28Gbs) onto the NAS didn't take as long as loading the driver. Sustained transfer is around 50Mb/s. If the File Tag driver has to read each MP3, I can understand it taking a while to load over the network.

But the iTunes one should be much faster. All my meta data is fine, at least it was all good with iTunes 7.x. I'll try downgrading.

Dean, I have tried turning on verbose logging. Turned on Verbose log to "High" for the Music driver (both File Tag and iTunes) but the log viewer doesn't show anything other than "Driver 'Music' is trying to load its configuration"
Hmmm... What version of CQC on you on? Yeh, the driver is doing way more fiddly and non-contiguous type access of the files, but still that's a long time to load them. Probably a lot of the speed issue is the finding of embedded cover art, assuming it's embedded. If so, you might want to push it out to a jpg in the same directory, which would be a lot faster probably.
Dean Roddey
On v2.4.9 at the moment. And yes, all cover art is embedded to keep the iTunes driver happy Undecided
You probably don't have to remove it from the files, just create an external file as well. The file tag guy will look for that first.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:We've not lookd at iTunes 8 yet, and others reported it doesn't support it. You can see what the driver isn't happy about by enabling logging and bringing up the log monitor.

If the File Tab repo is taking taht long to load, then you must either have some huge repository or you have slow access to the NAS, which might also explain why some of the issues with iTunes as well.

I'm using iTunes 8 without problem.
Hmmm... Others reported problems. It may depend on how you are using it.
Dean Roddey
Okay, I've cut my library down to just 5 albums to do some real timing tests.

First some transfer tests copying from my NAS to CQC MS using explorer:
Copy all mp3 + jpgs (295Mb, 107 files) - 46 seconds
Copy a single 285Mb file (as comparison test) - 40 seconds

Next repo load timings:
Load iTunes repo - 60 secs
Load File Tag repo - 33 secs

I've also downgraded iTunes back to v7.7, and my album art is still broken. I started with removing all embedded artwork to try and reduce iTunes repo load time, and then re-embed it all. Minimal difference on load time, but the artwork is still broken.

Looks like the File Tag repo is more reliable (and less fussy) for artwork, and surprisingly quicker to load than iTunes too.

But still at 5-6 seconds per album, over my fairly modest collection of around 350 albums, that's still half and hour to load.

I also noticed that when doing a "reload" on the iTunes, its resets the title count, and increments it as it finds new titles. The File Tag leaves the title count as it was, and just updates it onces upon completion of the load.

Is it possible to have the repository drivers load successfully with 0 titles, and then kick off a "reload"? That way even if the repo takes 30 minutes to load, it can still be accessed and the title count can be interogated for an indication of how much has been loaded.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  iTunes Setup barbourm 12 4,114 01-12-2020, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Google Play Music integration sic0048 1 1,379 12-25-2018, 11:52 AM
Last Post: batwater
  removing itunes indygreg 1 1,460 05-14-2018, 04:09 PM
  itunes error every 5 seconds indygreg 3 3,044 01-03-2017, 03:45 PM
  Porting Auto-Gen Music Templates to Existing System TurboSam 4 3,736 08-31-2016, 01:08 PM
Last Post: TurboSam
  List Based Music Browsing jrlewis 36 14,120 06-29-2016, 05:18 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Itune Media Repository jpsavaria 6 3,943 03-18-2015, 06:56 PM
  what are people currently using for ripped music and dvd playback? capall 13 5,018 06-21-2013, 11:44 PM
  Load personal video files into repository? brathnach 7 5,077 05-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Last Post: wuench
  Anyone have a iTunes playlist browser already created? Sendero 34 13,619 01-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Trioxide