Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Component Cabling Advice
The time has come to run component video and stereo audio to two more locations in the house. I am pretty sure that someone mentioned using a thin version of RG-6 (or RG6 equivalent) cable and custom ends... but I can't find the post by searching.

I would prefer to pull a lighter weight more flexible cable than traditional RG-6, but I need to be able to run HD over it.

If any has advice or a monoprice link, I'm all ears. (Eyes?)

Thanks.
Mini Coax - http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/sho...php?t=3642
Thanks.

Now that I've seen the prices... <gasp>... can I run line-level audio over pairs in Cat-5/Cat-6 UTP for about 50 feet? That would be easier, faster and cheaper, but can UTP carry stereo audio (analog, not amplified) or would I be courting disaster?

Thanks.
It isn't cheap, but it is the best wire to use. This site has the Coleman Precision mini-coax (part 99401) for $167 per 1000'. That price is pretty good (cheaper than what I bought it for) and if you buy two boxes, they will drop ship directly from Coleman saving considerably on the shipping cost. DrunkenLizard on cocoontech just bought a pair of boxes and didn't have any problems.

But trying to send audio signals over a short distance on Cat5e really won't cost very much to try. It might work fine and certainly would cost less.
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
Is minicoax really worthwhile over RG59? All you're gaining is some wire thinness, right? But along with that, you're incurring the trouble of finding the right fittings and tools to work with it. RG59 is at least common. And it seems the RG59 1k boxes I got were a lot lot less than that.
beelzerob Wrote:Is minicoax really worthwhile over RG59? All you're gaining is some wire thinness, right? But along with that, you're incurring the trouble of finding the right fittings and tools to work with it. RG59 is at least common. And it seems the RG59 1k boxes I got were a lot lot less than that.

I think if you are really talking comparable wires, the minicoax should be the cheapest because it has the least amount of material and copper in it. But perhaps you can actually find it for less than the minicoax because they sell it in higher volume. Actually a precision RG-59 would allow to to send component signals over a longer distance vs mini coax.
Other systems used:
I think CAT5/6 is fine if you use baluns.
Baluns are the best way to distribute this type of signal over cat5e/cat6 wire, but are expensive. If you have more than a couple of runs, it is actually much cheaper to buy the precision coax than it is to buy baluns at $100/pair.

But bph just wants to try the inexpensive route of sending line-level signals over cat5e without baluns for a short distance. It is the least likely scenerio to work, but also one of the cheapest to test. So if it doesn't work, then he will to go with baluns or wire with precision coax.
Other systems used:
For the baluns is it $100/pair or $200/pair? My research indicated that to be safe you really needed active component baluns which cost about $200/pair.

At that price your better off getting a nice Sage HD Media Extender for each location. These can accept your video signal over a single Cat5 run.

Target
Target Wrote:For the baluns is it $100/pair or $200/pair? My research indicated that to be safe you really needed active component baluns which cost about $200/pair.

At that price your better off getting a nice Sage HD Media Extender for each location. These can accept your video signal over a single Cat5 run.

Target

How would I connect my Sony Changer and my XBox 360 (both component) through my Autopatch, then on to a Cat5 to get to the Sage Extender?

That would be actually very cool.

(Or, leaving out the sources, how do I take the five signals [Component + R + L] coming out of the back of the autopatch output and get it to the extender? I assumed the extender was to play things stored on the Sage computer.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new HVAC advice jkmonroe 10 4,074 06-09-2016, 08:25 AM
Last Post: ellisr63
  Media Solution Advice zra 0 1,477 12-25-2012, 08:08 AM
Last Post: zra
  Setup Advice Needed karenlee 25 8,549 12-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Energy monitoring (Brultech) advice? SamVimes2 13 6,626 06-06-2011, 04:09 AM
Last Post: SamVimes2
  Wireless networking advice needed paul 6 3,556 05-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Last Post: fcwilt