Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Universal Devices ISY Insteon Driver
I need to see the log from when it was supposed to go on/off, not really when you fixed it. You can just post the log file, no need to post the data file.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
wuench Wrote:I need to see the log from when it was supposed to go on/off, not really when you fixed it. You can just post the log file, no need to post the data file.

I'll see what I can do to capture a log file when a problem occurs. Of course, unless I'm monitoring a light in CQC and see it suddenly turn on or off, it may be hard to pinpoint exactly when the error occurs.
Driver Problem Update.

The issue is more complex than it initially appeared. I checked the first 5 or 6 times and intermittently thereafter when a light's status was erroneously identified in CQC and in each of these instances, the light's status was correctly identified in the ISY software. However, now that I'm carefully watching and trying to identify an erroneous light status as soon as possible, I've picked up two occurances where the light status is erroneously identified in both CQC and the ISY software. I'm not sure of the cause of the discrepancy but I don't really think there are 2 separate issues/problems. Do you think it possible that a change is initially not picked up by the ISY and therefore not passed on to the CQC ISY Driver and that subsequently, he ISY detects and corrects the error in its database but doesn't pass this correction on to the CQC ISY driver since there isn't really a change in the status of the device at that time? This is the only thing I can think of that would explain why errors detected in the first ~15 minutes of occurring are incorrectly identified in both devices but errors detected much later appear to be incorrectly identified in only CQC.
They are two different things....

If the ISY doesn't know the correct status that is an ISY/Insteon issue, and I have seen that. I think that is an issue with the Insteon protocol, in that, when a scene is activated, the device then goes through and queries each device to validate it's state. If another insteon packet occurs, then this cleanup is halted. The best solution is to increase the reliability of your network so that all commands take, or create a program in the ISY or CQC to query devices occasionally to clean things up. I have a couple of problem lights that do this all the time. They are usually turned on/off by a scheduled event in the ISY, so I have added a Query to the end of those so at least the ISY has the correct status. BTW, the ISY does do a QueryAll once a day by default, it is a program that is automatically created when you set it up.

If the ISY is correct but the driver is not, then that is an ISY to driver communication problem. The driver relies on the ISY to send it updates, it doesn't request them. So either the ISY didn't send it, or the driver is missing it for some reason and may be something I can fix. I personally haven't seen this problem in my setup.
Wuench

Thanks for your help. I'm going to concentrate on getting the ISY to be 100% or nearly 100% correct first and then concentrate on the ISY Driver if that is still an issue.

With respect to solving the ISY problem. This appears to be a general problem in that the affect is not limited to a few devices that I can easily identify and add a an intermittent query to. Instead it appears to randomly affect a good proportion, if not all, of my devices. I wonder if this is a signal quality issue with my 107 devices. I've been reading about TV's, computers, etc's potentially absorbing Insteon/X10 signal and wonder if I could improve the situation by adding Filterlincs between the electrical outlets and my TVs and computers. Before I purchase 4 or 5 Filterlincs at $30 apiece, do you have any thoughts about this. Also, it's hard to set up an intermittent query to correct the status of offending devices when there is no way to identify or limit the number or potentially offending devices. I believe that I can issue a query command for all of "My Lighting" from the ISY menu. Is there a comparable command that I can issue from within CQC for the ISY Driver?

Thanks
Jerry
Basically you have two options to increase reliability, add more access points and add filterincs.

Your first step should be to determine which switches are on which of your two electrical legs and also which circuit. Then try to determine if you can isolated to a particular circuit or is it an issue between legs. So step 1, document your electrical setup.

If the problem is just with the ISY, then you should focus on that circuit. If you don't have a dual band PLM, then put an access point on the same circuit as close as possible to the ISY, so it has a quick path to the opposing electrical leg. Also your best candidates for filtering are any PC's or surge protectors on that circuit. You could move them or unplug them to see if that helps first.

I only have about 15 devices and my setup isn't as reliable as I would like either. I am thinking about putting in dual-band stuff from now on to see if that helps. Plus the whole idea of access points seems stupid to me, I would prefer a wired in amplified bridge like I used to have in my old house with X10.

Also, due to the cleanup stuff above, scene communication is usually less reliable than direct communication. Direct communication (i.e. single switch commands) are always confirmed. This is a tradeoff because confirming all of the devices in a scene would be too expensive to do on a slow powerline bus.
Wuench

I've seen switches on multiple different circuit lines affected so it's not just one circuit. I don't know how to determine which switches/circuits are on which electrical leg, so I don't know if it is one or both electrical legs that are affected.

I have a dual band PLM plus 4 additional access points scattered throughout the house. I may be wrong and I can try moving the access points to different locations but, given the number of access points and the fact that they're displaying a dim green indicator light makes it unlikely that I'm not adequately bridging the electrical legs.

Therefore, I think the next step is to order some FilterLincs, and then try moving the Access points to different locations while awaiting delivery of the FilterLincs to see if either of these gives me more reliable communication between my Insteon switches, PLM and ISY.
There are two legs in your panel, each one starts at the top of a column and moves diagonally down the panel. So circuits 1,4,5,8... are on one leg and circuits 2,3,6,7... are on another. Access points bridge these two legs because without a bridge, signals must travel all the way to your transformer and through it to bridge or bridge through something like an oven or other 240V circuit which may or may not allow the signals to cross.
Wuench

Thanks for the information on how to determine which circuits are on each leg. I'll track the problem switches while waiting for the FilterLincs to arrive and see if they're all on one leg.
I've been continuing to watch the system carefully and you are correct, I have 2 problem.

Problem 1: ISY Device gets out of sync with Insteon Devices. This is actually a relatively infrequent problem, lately <1 out of >100 Devices per day and hopefully the FilterLincs will decrease this even more when they arrive. Even if the FilterLincs don't help, the problem has been rendered virtually moot by setting up a regularly scheduled QueryAll for "My Lighting" which detects and corrects any synchronization errors between the ISY Device and my Insteon Devices.

Problem 2: CQC ISY Driver gets out of sync with the ISY Device. This is the major issue and accounts for >95% of the problem I'm experiencing. I really wish I knew what was causing or how to resolve this problem. I've schedule a timed log capture to see if I can clearly capture an event but unless I'm sitting there simultaneously looking at a light and it's status in the ISY Driver, it's hard to know exactly when and what was going on when the ISY Driver got out of sync with the ISY Device. I do know that a query, either of a specific device or the entire network, does not resolve the issue since the status of the Insteon Devices is already correct in the ISY Device and it doesn't force this status to be transmitted back to the CQC ISY Driver. I've also verified that if I go into the CQC Administrative Console and "Reload" the ISY Driver, that does not correct the status of the out of sync devices in the CQC system. However, if I go into the CQC Administrative Console, and select "Reconfigure" for the ISY Driver and then cycle through the configuration screens without making any changes, this will cause the ISY Driver to reload in a way that corrects the status of all the devices in CQC. Obviously, going into the Administrative Console to select "Reconfigure" is not a long-term solution. I need a system that can be totally controlled from templates in the Viewer module. Is there a way I could intermittently schedule a similar sort of reset or trigger a similar action, obviously without actually displaying configuration screens or changing the configuration, from a button on a viewer template?

Thanks.

Jerry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RainMachine Sprinkler Irrigation Controller Driver kblagron 41 884 03-25-2020, 07:41 AM
Last Post: kfly
  Tesla Driver Driver kfly 8 325 02-24-2020, 08:04 AM
Last Post: kfly
  LIFX Driver bobskie708 15 5,452 01-05-2020, 11:00 AM
Last Post: simplextech
  JVC D-ILA Driver jokermac 32 2,719 12-18-2019, 12:30 PM
Last Post: jokermac
  RunTimer2 driver rbroders 18 7,154 10-17-2019, 04:38 PM
Last Post: rbroders
  Writing Driver - Varying commands based on checksum gReatAutomation 3 644 07-22-2019, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Samsung HLxxA750 DLP Beta Driver jrunde 37 20,794 07-19-2019, 01:24 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Amazon Echo Hue Simulator Driver wuench 123 55,834 07-08-2019, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  New Driver - How hard would this be? kblagron 4 1,251 05-20-2019, 11:28 AM
Last Post: zaccari
  Cytech Comfort Driver znelbok 6 1,179 04-10-2019, 05:39 PM
Last Post: znelbok