Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Env01 not work
robertmee Wrote:That's like saying cars don't burn gas, engines do. Bottom line, the IV uses the USER environment variables for that account (and can also see the System ones).

In any case, doesn't really answer Trioxide's problem and I don't know of a way around it. If he wants a triggered event to operate differently based on what user happens to be currently connected to the Server (whether locally or via RDP) I don't see a way to accomplish this since the event server uses the system environment variables only.

Easy now. You shouldn't talk to your elders like that. :-D
David
Z-Wave World Magazine|Baltimore Hackerspace
"Why think outside the box when you could let the box think for you." - My take on Home Automation
I'm older than Dean :-) Of course he's wise beyond his years ;-)
Quote:That's like saying cars don't burn gas, engines do. Bottom line, the IV uses the USER environment variables for that account (and can also see the System ones).

It's a little more complex than that. I'm pretty sure that a User level variable will override a system level variable of the same name. So it can't see a system level variable if logged into an account that overrides it. So you can set up defaults at the system level, but for any given user account you can present a different value if there's an account specific need.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I still don't see how that addresses the issue. No matter what you do, and no matter how you are logged in, the event engine and triggered actions are not under any user and therefore will ALWAYS use the system environment variables, no?
robertmee Wrote:I still don't see how that addresses the issue. No matter what you do, and no matter how you are logged in, the event engine and triggered actions are not under any user and therefore will ALWAYS use the system environment variables, no?
No, the default is that the CQC service runs under the SYSTEM account. However you can change it to whatever account you like (as long as there are enough privileges in the chosen account). Start Admin tools->Services and pick the properties of the CQC service. On the "Logon" page you can change the user for the service to a different account. Restart the service. Now it doesn't matter if you put the variables i nthe user section or the system section.

Also Dean's scheme of putting the env variables in the system section will also work.

So there are two ways to skin this cat.
Mark Stega
To clarify some things:

System variables are global across users. Everyone can see them if they are not hidden by a user variable of the same name.

User variables are global across processes running under the same user name.

------------

There is a System account. That account 'sees' the System variables and has its own User variables (that could hide System ones)

------------

The IV just writes to environment variables by a given name. If they are in the System range and not overridden by ones in the User range, everyone will see them.
Mark Stega
People often have to change the account from the default system for media repository reasons, because that account generally doesn't have network rights. So it's not uncommon to have the CQC service running in a user type account. Though, it's best to create a separate account for it that's not actually used by anyone, to avoid unwanted interactions.
Dean Roddey
I must be doing something wrong then as I tried what was suggested by having the CQC Service run under another user, made it with Admin priviledges. Then I have my Environment Variables setup under User for CQC_USERNAME, CQC_PASSWORD and CQC_EnvRTV01. I do not have any setup under System. Still getting an error when the trigger happens.

CQCKit, CQCKit_ThisFacility.cpp.369, API Failed/Data Format, Error: 2257/0/0
Token expansion failed during command processing
Runtime value StdRTV:Env01 was not available for replacement

Is this because it does not see the Env01 variable? Because it is in User and not System variables? I thought by having the CQC Service run under another user I would be able to do it this way so I can tell the difference between my Admin, for the CQC Server, and Nokia, for my Nokia N800 login. Tried using the StdRTV:CurUserName value but it was blank.
Were you logged in as the same user that the CQC service is running as when you set those User variables? If not, then you set them for the account are you logged into, not the account that the CQC service is running in.
Dean Roddey
Mark Stega Wrote:No, the default is that the CQC service runs under the SYSTEM account. However you can change it to whatever account you like (as long as there are enough privileges in the chosen account). Start Admin tools->Services and pick the properties of the CQC service. On the "Logon" page you can change the user for the service to a different account. Restart the service. Now it doesn't matter if you put the variables i nthe user section or the system section.

Also Dean's scheme of putting the env variables in the system section will also work.

So there are two ways to skin this cat.

Thanks for the clarification, however, I must be really dense as I still don't see how it changes things.

If I understand Trioxide correctly, he wants a triggered event to act differently based on an environment variable that he's setup in each USER account. Let's say CQC is running under SYSTEM or even TIMBUKTU. Then the triggered event can only use the environment variables associated with that account (SYSTEM or TIMBUKTU) because that's where the CQC event server engine is running. Doesn't matter if the variables are set in the USER portion of SYSTEM/TIMBUKTU or the system portion. Now, he logs in via RDP under user NOKIA. I see no way to notify the event trigger via environment variables that user NOKIA is logged in, because the event triggers do not have access to individual user account environment variables. Is that correct?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leviton VRUSB owners: Does it work? IVB 30 10,826 07-13-2015, 09:25 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  Sony DVP-CX777ES doesn't work Andre 10 5,162 02-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Andre
  Just installed 4.0 now SNMP doesn't work? SamVimes2 9 4,370 09-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Will CQC work for me? programmergeek 7 3,157 06-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Last Post: LesAuber
  Will this work as server? optix 3 2,352 12-03-2009, 06:43 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  j river media center 13 work with cqc? pjwinstalls 0 1,317 06-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Last Post: pjwinstalls
  What UPB switches work best with CQC/ELK flik 4 2,142 03-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Last Post: robolo
  How to configure seperate sage server to work with cqc server rajeevc 2 1,953 01-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost
  Anyone make/sell templetes as cool as these that would work with CQC personalt 8 3,273 11-02-2008, 03:52 AM
Last Post: Mark Stega
  How to work with Image Packs RHT 3 1,912 08-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey