Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting a Pioneer VSX-94THX Receiver
From your description it sounds like you wired them up correctly. You can test the connections with any network cable. Up to now you have assumed it is the adapters, but there are 2 other possibilities. One much less desireable than the other.

You already mention testing the network cable so thats one thing. The worst case scenario is it is a problem with the port on the receiver itself. If you determine everything else seems to be correct you may try checking the port on the receiver. Connect up the adpater to the receiver and leave the one on the pc end unhooked. If you have 2 of the adapters wired for straight through it would be the least confusing, but a straight through and null will work. Look at the link above for the RS-232 connections and towards the bottom you can see which pins should be active and what their voltage should be when idle. If one of the adapters is a null modem then the use the diagrams for a DCE, but actually you are looking at it as a DTE because of the crossover. This will at least tell you if the port is "alive" or not.

For a pin removal tool get a nail or brad that is about the same diameter of female insert and clip it so the end is blunt. You can use this to push out the female connectors.
It's the early bird that catches the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
beelzerob Wrote:I'm not sure if you mentioned wiring a male and a female adapter...but if you did, I just wanted to note that the pin numbers were in a different order on the adapters. Mine are actually labeled "1" and such, so I just always look at the numbers instead of trying to figure out where pin 1 is supposed to be on a db9.

In a way, this turned out to be the answer. I was going by the drawing as I didn't see the numbers on the insertion side of the part. I misinterpreted the drawing (which side it was showing) and so it (and the PC end as well) were wired completely backwards. I needed a lighted magnifying glass to read the numbers :oops: .

So with my last two adapters, I was able to get this to work and the driver (Pioneer XVS84-TSXi (obsolete)) is functional. The Supported Devices on the CQC website shows another driver (Pioneer VS-X-xxTSX) that has more functions, but does not show up as an option to install :confused: . I am on the current release (2.3.3). I guess I could take the plunge and try the latest beta to see if the later one is in there.

Thanks for the help guys!

Now I need more adapters so I can try out jrlewis's driver for my Sony VPL-VW40 projector. That needs a male null model adapter. The local Fry's has some (2X the price of the sfcable ones, but no shipping, which was much more than the price of the adapters.
I just upgraded to CQC 2.3.27 and the Pioneer VS-X-xxTSX driver isn't there either. Does anyone know where that can be found?

It would still be missing the new commands for the VSX-94THX, like Sirrus and Internet Radio commands, but as it has a Command field that I might could use to access those features. So it should be more useful than the Pioneer XVS84-TSXi driver.
Hmmm....I wasn't surprised it wasn't in 2.3.3....but I was pretty sure I gave that to Dean for the next release. Lemme check my emails...
Geez, I gave that to Dean back in November...so it should definitely be a part of the official release. You're right, though...I can't find it on my driver list either. Dean?
kayemsi Wrote:In a way, this turned out to be the answer. I was going by the drawing as I didn't see the numbers on the insertion side of the part. I misinterpreted the drawing (which side it was showing) and so it (and the PC end as well) were wired completely backwards. I needed a lighted magnifying glass to read the numbers.
That would be a problem. Just remember when looking directly at a male connector pin 1 will be the top left. For a female connector it is the mirror image so pin 1 is on the top right. For 2.3.3 the xx driver file appears to be there and it probably is for the latest beta, but there isn't a manifest for it. If Rob can send you a manifest for it just put it in the \CQC\CQCData\DataServer\Manifests folder and recycle the service and it should show up under the driver's list.
It's the early bird that catches the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
I have it on good authority that the next drop will correct the problem.....but if you don't want to wait, here.

Attached Files
.zip   PioneerVSX-xxTSX.zip (Size: 691 bytes / Downloads: 6)
I downloaded and copied the Manifest over and recycled the service and then tried to install the new driver. It stays at Wait for Initialization. The log has a lot of message that Macro class "\MEng\User\CQC\Drivers\Pioneer\VSX-xxTSX\DriverImpl" was not found.

EDIT:I guess it shouldn't be looking in User but \CQC\CQCData\DataServer\Macros\MEng\System\CQC\Drivers\Pioneer\VSX-xxTSX. I changed the Manifest to point to the system folder and it loaded.
Oh, I fixed the manifest correctly to make the driver class be DriverImpl as it should be, but since you are looking at the User one, it's still got the wrong name probably.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I shoulda guessed....Dean frequently has to fix my work. :oops:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  connecting a zWave relay IVB 3 3,378 02-20-2016, 03:13 PM
Last Post: IVB
  SqueezeCenter V2 driver not connecting Sendero 18 6,645 11-09-2015, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Troubles Connecting to Octava Matrix Switcher jokermac 8 3,738 05-25-2015, 09:04 AM
Last Post: jokermac
  AV Receiver Options brathnach 13 6,307 12-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Last Post: wuench
  Need help connecting Xantech MRC88 jt76 30 8,715 02-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Newer Denon AV Receiver Drivers? jt76 4 3,999 02-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Connecting to Master Server running in VM mheinrich 7 3,944 08-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Last Post: mheinrich
  Which IR code-set to use with CQC and USBUIRT Receiver bph 1 1,707 02-19-2009, 06:04 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  DNV Connecting error EST 13 3,821 02-17-2009, 05:48 AM
Last Post: cwilson
  Denon AVR-3805 Driver keeps on connecting and disconnecting? zoki 12 3,980 08-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Last Post: willplaice