Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for opinions on video distribution
I am at the point of adding video distibution to my system. So far I have CQC, and Nuvo Concerto. I would like to get some advice on the video part.

I was looking seriously at the Audio Authority AVATrix http://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/AVX-661

I like it because it is all in one solution. I definately need the process to go over Cat5 because that is how I wired the house. It also must support HD.

However I do not see a driver to support it, and in fact do not see any under development. Anyone interested in writing a driver for this? :-)

I do see drivers for Autopatch and Extron, so I have been looking on Ebay. I have not found any Autopatch items and only a couple of Extron that I think would work. One is an Exton Crosspoint 300 8x8. Currently it is at $305 with over a day to go. What would be a reasonable cost for this unit, since I know nothing about them?

There is also a "Crosspoint Plus 84". I believe that tells me is it 8 input and 4 output, and so if that is the case it would not do. Also it has a Buy cost of $1300 which seems high for an 8x4.

If I were to get an Extron or Autopatch, is there a recomendation on the extenders / baluns to use. I've seen prices from 150 to 400.

Any input or experiences are greatly welcomed.

Thanks
George M
Well, I'll tell ya about the Extron Crosspoints since I have a couple (my current one is a 128). They're nice but you need to keep a couple things in mind. You can only switch on RGB (no HV) so you'll need to use a second input AND output if you're using digial audio. Additionally, if you are like me, and you have a mix of HD and SD, you'll end up using additional inputs and outputs for SD. Currently I have component, svid and composite so I use 3 inputs for everything. I only need 1 output channel except for the two HD locations. I use the CE Labs Cat5 distribution TX and RX pairs. You can get the set for about 200. I know if you're patient, you'll be able to find a Crosspoint in the $200-400 ragne. I know others have paid substantially more.

Russ...
Mark makes referrence to a driver he wrote in this thread but I don't see it listed in the documents for supported devices.

http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/sho...ht=avatrix
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
There is an Audio Authority driver. It may not be correctly documented yet, but it's there in the build, at least in the latest betas. I don't remember exactly when it was added.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
zaccari Wrote:Well, I'll tell ya about the Extron Crosspoints since I have a couple (my current one is a 128). They're nice but you need to keep a couple things in mind. You can only switch on RGB (no HV) so you'll need to use a second input AND output if you're using digial audio.
Russ...

Just a FYI but some of the Crosspoints will switch on the h and v. I am currently using a 12x8 300 to send my digital audio to multiple locations.
Thanks to all for the information.

Dean, I thought I have the 2.3.15 build and did not notice the Avatrix in there, but may have looked over it.

Does anyone here have an opinion on the Avatrix? At first it looks expensive, but if I look at pricing the rx-rx pairs with an Extron it almost equals out. Of course I was assuming I would have to pay up to $1000 for a good Extron. Maybe I can wait it out for a while.

Russ, Can you expand on what you mean by "it wont switch on the HV?". I'm not following that. I will not be sending Svideo or composite with this system - only component. My thought also was to send the video with Extron and the audio with Nuvo. Is there a reason that wont work with CQC doing the switching?

Thanks
George M
The manfest files says:

Supports the Audio Authority 1156/1166 matrix switches

Not sure if that's the same as the Avatrix or not?
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
I am on 2.3.3 and it is in their under Audio Authority 11x6
Dean Roddey Wrote:The manfest files says:

Supports the Audio Authority 1156/1166 matrix switches

Not sure if that's the same as the Avatrix or not?

In reading that old thread, it appears that AA 1156/1166 is the hardware controller. The "Avatrix" is simply a package that includes a 1156/1166 and the keypads together. I'm just repeating what I read as I don't have any first hand experience with this unit.
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
Yes, I do see it there now.

Guess I'll look into going that course rather than putting together different parts.

Thanks again.

George M

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Door locks and door video rhosch 24 5,035 11-07-2019, 12:35 PM
Last Post: rhosch
  New tutorial video Dean Roddey 2 1,602 11-27-2018, 07:15 PM
Last Post: ellisr63
  Video Widget znelbok 67 33,243 04-12-2017, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Security video with CQC bryanb 19 7,464 04-22-2016, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Opinions on laptop Deane Johnson 1 1,255 01-01-2016, 07:04 AM
Last Post: dgage
  HDMI Multiroom Distribution E816 11 4,899 03-04-2014, 03:18 AM
Last Post: E816
  Load personal video files into repository? brathnach 7 4,098 05-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Last Post: wuench
  Set up a hardware DVD video library yarwoob 15 9,817 04-07-2013, 04:29 AM
Last Post: Bugman
  Intercom / IP video surveillance WilliamHorton 6 3,662 06-11-2010, 03:20 AM
Last Post: standon
  Audio Distribution Ron Haley 8 2,897 09-18-2009, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Ripper