Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insteon Keypadlinc
I think my first issue is that I'm new to all of this.

I did as Jonathan suggested and pressed the keypad button until it beeped, then pressed the set button on the PLM until the keypad beeped. I then pressed the button and looked at the log. I just don't know what I should be looking for in the log or what I should filter for. The only kind of messages I get are status messages. And there are a bunch of them.

Do you remember if you stayed with the changes you made to your SCENE.TXT file as you mentioned in post #6 or did you do as Jonathan suggested in post #8?

Are you still using the PLM or have you replaced it? If you have, what are you using?

If it's the isy-99i, is the learning curve very steep?

Thanks
Looks like I did both: I did what is in post 6 and can now see a fieldname for each key. But for triggered events I see I have it setup like was suggested in post 8. So I am not sure what the correct way is, if I can use either or have to use both. It is working for me though so I haven't played with it.
I am still using the same PLM. Did not want to pay the money for the isy99
I still don't get it. I added one of the buttons to the scenet.txt file and it now shows up in the field browser. I choose change field for it and select Add Module, now what?? Do I press the button until it beeps then press set or vise versa? I've tried both and I'm not sure if either one took. How can I test this.

My next question is how to I find the event data from the log as Jonathan said here: 3. In the "Comp Value" you need to copy the event data (you can find this when the driver is in full logging mode by pressing the keypadlinc button and watching the log) you want to match on. For example, for keypadlinc button 3 turning on, the event data is "Group#3=On"

I haven't been able to figure out what the event data is.
thall411 Wrote:If it's the isy-99i, is the learning curve very steep?

Thanks
actually its kind of the opposite... you have to unlearn most of the insteon crap you already know...

you just have to learn how to drag and drop...but odds are you already know how to do that...
no more running around the house pressing the set button here and holding down this button there... all your link management is just simple dragging and dropping...
actually come to think of it, the isy may be bad for your health... no more needing to run across the house randomly pressing and/or holding buttons = no more exercise...

the sad/bad part of isy is that some % of its OMG!Confusedhock: price is probably due to its logic engine... but CQC has its own logic engine that is far more powerful and flexible than ISY's could ever be... so in that sense it is kind of a waste...
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
SomeWhatLost Wrote:the sad/bad part of isy is that some % of its OMG!Confusedhock: price is probably due to its logic engine... but CQC has its own logic engine that is far more powerful and flexible than ISY's could ever be... so in that sense it is kind of a waste...

Probably not the best question to ask on this forum, but

If I buy the isy, what does CQC add?
thall411 Wrote:Probably not the best question to ask on this forum, but

If I buy the isy, what does CQC add?
it is a valid question, and ok to ask here...
CQC adds nothing... assuming all you want to do is insteon devices, and what you want to do can be handled by its fairly basic (compared to CQC) if/then logic structure...

CQC is very useful/required if you want to seamlessly combine insteon with other HA/HT/random devices, and have much greater logic flexibility...
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
And of course nice touch screen interfaces and access to web based info as well, and media control.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Controlling Insteon Scene Controller buttons ellisr63 8 5,960 10-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost
  Insteon Hub 2242? jkmonroe 9 4,247 12-15-2013, 04:03 AM
Last Post: karenlee
  Insteon Triggering Question 1080iAddict 0 1,270 07-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Last Post: 1080iAddict
  Insteon Driver: Name? PeteCress 11 3,542 07-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Trioxide
  Insteon 2412S problem Trioxide 0 1,235 03-16-2009, 02:50 PM
  Venstar Insteon Thermostat and Other Newbie Questions sreev 11 5,723 12-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Last Post: zaccari
  Insteon Scenes... ControlLinc willsauter 3 2,028 10-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Last Post: willsauter
  Insteon control from remote Trioxide 9 3,092 06-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Last Post: jrlewis
  Insteon pics Trioxide 4 2,046 05-07-2008, 02:39 PM
  Insteon 2814U setup confusion Trioxide 3 2,207 02-22-2008, 07:32 AM