Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IR control question
Looking to hook up my ChannelPlus Modulator to an IR block and have CQC be able to send and receive. Only one I really saw was the Global Cache GC-100 using the GC-IRE & GC-CXG for input from the Connecting Block and Sensor Inputs from Power or Video sensors, as none of my equipment is serial controlled. The GC-CGX for output to say the Xantech CB60 Connecting Block so I can input from the GC-100 and my ChannelPlus #3025 Multi-Room Video Distribution System and then output to my Audio/Video equipment.
This way I can still use my Video distribution system, which has IR control from other rooms, and have my CQC server receive and send IR commands. All these different parts add up real quick though, over $500 plus tax and shipping and not couting the input sensors. Is this the best way to go or is there something better to consider?
We don't support the GC's IR receiver yet. The only receiver really is the USB-UIRT and IRMan. We really need to look into the GC-100 receiver I guess.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Dean Roddey Wrote:We don't support the GC's IR receiver yet. The only receiver really is the USB-UIRT and IRMan. We really need to look into the GC-100 receiver I guess.

Okay. Only problem with that though is they are an IR Receiver. I have an IR Receiver already with the ChannelPlus system, http://www.smarthome.com/7717.html. So just looking to take the output from that, 3.5mm mono jack, and be able to input to the computer. If I use the USB-UIRT or IRMan then I need a IR Emitter on the ChannelPlus and put that emitter on the IR Receiver of the USB-UIRT or IRMan. Not the best way to go. Then I would need a seperate unit to do the output from the computer, like the GC-100, and more IR Emitters. Having 2 IR Emitters on each AV Device seems silly to me.
Dean, do you have any idea when you will have the driver working to accept the GC-100's IR Receiver?
The usual thing is that you don't directly tie the receiver and blasters directly together. CQC provides the glue between them. So you the receiver can just receive (though it can also be the blaster in the case of the UIRT), and that causes CQC to spit out whatever IR you want from the blaster, which can be separate device.

So there's no need for you to have both receiving and blasting on the GC-100 necessarily. You can use an IRMan or UIRT for receiving, and use either a GC-100 or R2DI card for blasting.
Dean Roddey
Having a driver for the GC-IRE would be huge! I know a couple users that would love it and would at the same time address zoned receiving that people have been asking for. Because each one is on a comm port you can do smart commands based on which comm port the signal is coming in on!
Yeh, we need to get motivated and get support in place for that guy. I'll put that further up on the list.
Dean Roddey
Oh, I'd kill for that. It'd solve a problem in the master bedroom where I need to receive and blast to 2 or 3 devices. I could also get by if the USB-UIRT supported 2 or 3 zones. I've just been suffering as is.

Russ...
Dean Roddey Wrote:The usual thing is that you don't directly tie the receiver and blasters directly together. CQC provides the glue between them. So you the receiver can just receive (though it can also be the blaster in the case of the UIRT), and that causes CQC to spit out whatever IR you want from the blaster, which can be separate device.

Guess I will have to get by with the USB-UIRT for now as it has the receiver and blaster. Though having the zone IR would be great but not as necessary for me at this point.

Is there a way to change a setting on the receiver? I have a Universal Remote and have it programmed to send a signal to the cqc server which then turns down the lights, while the remote turns on the equipment, etc to prepare to watch a movie. Problem is when I press the button on the remote nothing happens on the cqc side. Programmed a key for just the signal to the cqc server to verify it works and it does but I have to hold down the button. If just a quick press then nothing. And I can't change the settings in the remote to send a long signal stream, so ... Can I adjust anything on the receiver side so that this works???
How did you train it? You have to hold the remote right up to the front of the UIRT when you train it, and don't move it around. Otherwise it can get a not so accurate signal and won't always recognize it.

Also, generally you'd set up CQC to turn on the equipment as well, by doing all the blasting, in addition to the lights. So CQC gets one signal, and blasts out various other signals in return along with control of any serial devices and such.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:How did you train it? You have to hold the remote right up to the front of the UIRT when you train it, and don't move it around. Otherwise it can get a not so accurate signal and won't always recognize it.

Also, generally you'd set up CQC to turn on the equipment as well, by doing all the blasting, in addition to the lights. So CQC gets one signal, and blasts out various other signals in return along with control of any serial devices and such.

I have a Universal Remote so just took some odd-ball remote and programmed those signals to act as my light. Then trained the UIRT to those keys and to adjust the lights to such.
And I understand what you are saying about cqc controlling everything, though it can't do my TV as no IR blaster in front of it. But either way cqc is not receiving the signal so does me no good. Only if I hold the button for a second does it work, if just pressed then it does not reconize the signal - though I can see the led flash on the UIRT. That is why I was asking if I can adjust the receiver end for the signal.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hue Lighting Control jokermac 17 7,035 03-28-2020, 06:18 AM
Last Post: jokermac
  Server hardware question rhosch 3 2,274 10-02-2019, 11:19 AM
Last Post: rhosch
  Basic Z Wave/CQC Integration Question MikeW 6 3,987 12-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Last Post: MikeW
  Jandy Pool Control avtexan 20 9,304 06-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  event and subsequent countdown timer question dogman 9 5,290 05-03-2018, 06:36 PM
Last Post: dogman
  webriva template question lleo 21 11,760 01-08-2018, 08:53 AM
  Use single On/Off/Slider to control group jkmonroe 3 3,240 08-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Last Post: pinballmark
  Help figuring out projector serial control! Deane Johnson 19 8,902 07-30-2016, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Harmony Hub Device Control jkmonroe 6 4,989 07-03-2016, 02:36 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  how deep is your (echo voice control) love? IVB 197 52,895 05-23-2016, 08:47 AM