Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List of BluRay players with RS232 control
Optimistically hoping many folks jump on this bandwagon, but I did find two:

Denon DVD-2500BTCI, $999 . Digital only (no analog video out, ie component)

Denon DVD-3800BDCI, $1999. Lots of analog video outputs.

here's the protocol for both.

Marantz BD8002, $2099, but that's supposedly a rebadged Denon 3800. Not yet released though.

Yamaha BD-S2900, $1200 MSRP.
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
IVB Wrote:Optimistically hoping many folks jump on this bandwagon, but I did find two:

Denon DVD-2500BTCI, $999 . Digital only (no analog video out, ie component)

Denon DVD-3800BDCI, $1999. Lots of analog video outputs.

here's the protocol for both.

Unfortunately they seem kind of spendy for players that will not be capable of Profile 2.0 when it becomes standard (players need a network port for that). I couldn't find indication of whether they were Profile 1.0 or 1.1 - I'd hope since they're just about to be released that they'd be at least 1.1.
The Denon's are 1.1

I also found that Marantz is about to release their BD8002 with 2.0 Profile and RS-232 going for $2100
I don't see the point of having RS232 control when it's a single disc player. Anything less than 100 disc seems pointless of having RS232 control. You still need to put the disc in the player at which time you could push the on button. CQC can still control the A/V Matrix or A/V Reciever and automatically configure the remaining equipment. Am I missing something?
David
Z-Wave World Magazine|Baltimore Hackerspace
"Why think outside the box when you could let the box think for you." - My take on Home Automation
Serial control is more reliable then IR any day. You also get two-way feedback.
It also allows things like triggering off of the start/end of the playback and things like that, seeing the various settings and so forth. To it's well worth having.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
But why do you need IR or RS232 for a single disc. Are you really going to put the disc in and then navigate a CQC Interface just to push play and pay $2K+ for it? What do you need to know about a single disc that warrants that much money? Do you want to know how much time is left in the movie?

I guess the only thing that it may be useful for is if the phone rings it could pause the DVD player or if the fire alarm goes off it could pause it. But that could be done by other means much cheaper. Using IR for one. Again maybe I am missing the point. I'm all for controlling Blu-Ray DVD players using RS232 but it seems pointless for a 1 to 10 disc changer. It would need to be a 100+ disc changer and integrate with the CQC repository to warrant spending that much money on it IMO.
David
Z-Wave World Magazine|Baltimore Hackerspace
"Why think outside the box when you could let the box think for you." - My take on Home Automation
I agree that 2K is too much and that is another reason for this list. I am hoping to find a reasonable priced player for much less then that.
The reason serial would be nice for a single-disc player is that I could expand my triggered event logic for what to do when the pause button is pressed; if the BluRay is playing, then it gets the pause command. Right now it already monitors SageTV, 777, TheaterTek, CQC Audio Player, and has intelligence to route the pause command to the correct location.

Truly having a single remote and not relying on macros to get stuff done is my inlaws favorite part of the system - they're sick of the 5 remotes they have, and like that they only need to press a button on our setup.

Of course, it's not worth $1000 to me, but it all starts somewhere.
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
Hopefully now that the war is over, more manufactures will consider making blueray, and consumers will start demanding more features and lower prices.

It will all happen, the question is how long do we have to wait.
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hue Lighting Control jokermac 17 6,665 03-28-2020, 06:18 AM
Last Post: jokermac
  Jandy Pool Control avtexan 20 8,909 06-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Use single On/Off/Slider to control group jkmonroe 3 3,149 08-06-2016, 09:28 AM
Last Post: pinballmark
  Help figuring out projector serial control! Deane Johnson 19 8,595 07-30-2016, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Harmony Hub Device Control jkmonroe 6 4,889 07-03-2016, 02:36 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  List Based Music Browsing jrlewis 36 14,129 06-29-2016, 05:18 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  how deep is your (echo voice control) love? IVB 197 51,153 05-23-2016, 08:47 AM
  Problems with App Control in 4.8.3 update MikeA 2 2,876 04-07-2016, 07:29 AM
Last Post: MikeA
  Control surface - am I heading down a rat hole? kjaerligkatt 3 3,158 02-06-2016, 10:52 AM
  Tivo control question MikeA 21 12,112 12-26-2015, 06:29 PM
Last Post: dogman