Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Klipsch Synergy Series on sale at Woot
Two surrounds for $95
http://www.woot.com/

and the center for $85
http://shopping.yahoo.com/?name=woot#woot
I don't think you will find the SB1's to go with them.

Brian
I take it there's something specific about these speakers that make them surround, as opposed to front L/R?

I'm woefully ignorant of speaker technology, which sucks because I'm going to need some new ones soon...most likely wall flush-mounted, which these aren't, right?

If my receiver is a 700 w (100w X 7 channels), then I should make sure I get a 100w speaker, right? Even if I never intend to drive my speakers at 100w?
I'm no speaker expert, but if you checkout the Klipsch site you can see the left/right speakers that went with that set.

Woot is offering only the center and two speakers that would be mounted on the wall beside your listening area as those are a dipole setup that are firing forward and backwards to better disperse the surround.

You would want speakers capable of handing the power of the amplifier/receiver, but the spec'd output numbers on amplifiers can be a little overrated.

Brian
Quote:You would want speakers capable of handing the power of the amplifier/receiver, but the spec'd output numbers on amplifiers can be a little overrated.
I am no expert, but I would strongly have to disagree on both points here...
a) you just want speakers that will handle a bit more power then you are likely to ever use... but consider this, you are not likely to ever need more then 20-30 watts continuous unless you are really into ear shattering heavy metal... etc..
b) an AVR's specified wattage isn't overrated... it has just become a marketing number that no longer has any bearing on reality... go to Best Buy, Wal Mart, Kmart, etc and just try to find an AVR rated less then 100 watts... or alternately go find a 100 watt x 7 AVR that weights more then 40lbs... a good toroidal power supply that can supply 700w continuous is going to be heavy...:-)
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
Ya, my Yamaha RXV1500 is pretty heavy. i really don't need 100w per channel, but heck...that's what it came with.

I guess I'm partly concerned that if the receiver volume accidentally got turned up to full, and I had 50w speakers on the line, that they'd get killed. Is that a valid concern?
beelzerob Wrote:I guess I'm partly concerned that if the receiver volume accidentally got turned up to full, and I had 50w speakers on the line, that they'd get killed. Is that a valid concern?

define accidentally:
a) you get really drunk one night and seriously crack up the volume, then pass out with it still cranked? ie people can clearly hear your HT a block away... yea, you could damage just about any speaker doing that (been there, done that:oops: you should of seen my center channel tweeter... the titanium laser etched dome really did explode... who knew they could do that?)
or
b) you accidentally bumped the volume all the way, go OMG!Confusedhock: and run over and turn the volume down? most speakers don't blow because they are 50w speakers and someone cranked 100w into them for a few minutes... usually it is because someone tries to crank 100w out of an amp that really can not supply 100w, so the amp goes into clipping, that is like putting a constant DC signal across the coil/driver and then bad things happen... not saying you can not over power a speaker, but it is just not that likely...

just go find a speaker that both you and all the people you are concerned about can all agree to live with... then try them out... if you like how they sound, (or look, depending on your priorities), then crank them up to twice the comfortable listening level, if they explode, take them back and try something else...:tounge
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
Ok. In our house, it'd definitely be more of the "The kid played with the volume knob while it was turned off, then found the power button and turned it on." kind of scenario...which actually happened once. She learned a lesson about that, that's for sure. :roll:

At some point soon here, I'm going to have to begin my research into decent in-wall mounted speakers for home theater. Ugh...I don't look forward to that, and I do NOT want to have to go over to AVS forums for this. That place scares me. Confusedhock:
beelzerob Wrote:and I do NOT want to have to go over to AVS forums for this. That place scares me. Confusedhock:
why? it is not that bad... there are lots of semi intelligent and semi helpful people over there (me being one of them:roll: )...
it is a happy place...
well it can be fun at least...
Nice feature of my Integra DTC-9.8 preamp is you can set the volume level to a specified value upon startup and you can set a max level, kids love to play with the knobs so it gives a little piece of mind.

Brent

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Denon 4520 on sale at Bestbuy for $999 or less! ellisr63 0 4,205 09-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Last Post: ellisr63
  For Sale - Squeezeboxs potts.mike 0 2,914 06-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  FOR SALE: Global Cache GC-RG1 General IR Receiver Mike Boulanger 0 2,881 07-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Mike Boulanger
  Brultech ECMs & CTs for sale Sendero 3 3,854 06-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Sendero
  FOR SALE: Global Cache GC-100-12, GC-IRL, GC-RG1, GC-IRE, almost new! Mike Boulanger 5 6,421 04-20-2012, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Mike Boulanger
  [FOR SALE] Cleaning House vettemanv8 1 3,029 03-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Last Post: vettemanv8
  HP t5700 for sale $50 robolo 0 2,605 11-28-2010, 07:30 AM
Last Post: robolo
  Misc. goodies for sale AnthonyZ 7 5,830 08-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Last Post: zpollock
  Samsung Q1 for sale cmspeer 4 4,291 06-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Last Post: ctay
  [FOR SALE] [SALE/TRADE] Vizia RF, Omni II, and Nuvo CalypsoCowboy 1 2,995 03-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Last Post: CalypsoCowboy