Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two quick audio distribution questions
Two super quick questions.

1. Can the Extron 100 (or any matrix switch for that matter) send one source to two zones at the same time? Can a Nuvo for audio?

2. If I run all of my audio through the Extron, and then through a nuvo Essentia, will this general some control lag?

Thanks,

Target
Target Wrote:Two super quick questions.

1. Can the Extron 100 (or any matrix switch for that matter) send one source to two zones at the same time? Can a Nuvo for audio?

2. If I run all of my audio through the Extron, and then through a nuvo Essentia, will this general some control lag?

Thanks,

Target

1. Yes - One source - many zones
2. The lag would only be introduced if you need to delay action of the second item in line to make sure the first action fired. This happens with my Polk XM and my Dennon for example. The Polk takes some time to figure out where it is, and I hold off on the Dennon power on due to this delay.

Make sense?
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
I guess I'm most concerned about video lag. The video from my DVR (A sage box that is also my CQC server) will be running through an HD extener, through the matrix switch, and out to one of 4 TVs. I really hate it when you change the channel, and it takes an entire second for it to change. I can live with the audio being a smidgen delayed.

If a bit of delay is the cost of whole house automation, the such is life. However, there should be nothing between my television and the incoming source that isn't RS-232 controllable with the exception of the television itself. Any chance that this eliminates delay?

Target

PS Thank you for answer the questions. I completely understand what you said. I will probably just have to wait until I move in to see if there's any lag, as there's nothing i can do about it now.
Target Wrote:I guess I'm most concerned about video lag. The video from my DVR (A sage box that is also my CQC server) will be running through an HD extener, through the matrix switch, and out to one of 4 TVs. I really hate it when you change the channel, and it takes an entire second for it to change. I can live with the audio being a smidgen delayed.

If a bit of delay is the cost of whole house automation, the such is life. However, there should be nothing between my television and the incoming source that isn't RS-232 controllable with the exception of the television itself. Any chance that this eliminates delay?

Target

PS Thank you for answer the questions. I completely understand what you said. I will probably just have to wait until I move in to see if there's any lag, as there's nothing i can do about it now.

I answered your same questions in the other thread where you asked them but I agree that one source = many zones pretty easily.

Also once routed, the switcher would not add any additional delay to your system. For example, if you were watching a TV in one zone and changed the channel, that has nothing to do with the switcher anyway so the delay, if any, will be what it is regardless of whether the switcher was in the circuit. You MIGHT see a minimal delay when ADDING a zone to an existing (playing audio/video) circuit. In my case (and sounds like it's also the case with DaveB) it's not the switcher that is the delay but getting the amplifier up to speed for that zone. Since you already have a signal active in another zone that may highlight a 'delay' when in fact it's nothing different than firing up a TV/zone in the first place. In either event, my experience is these 'delays' are very minimal at worst.

Hope this helps.
Keith

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Multiroom Audio Suggestions kblagron 4 4,270 08-17-2017, 03:21 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Anyone doing TTS without lag in audio? IVB 5 3,683 05-15-2017, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  New 'Quick Start' videos Dean Roddey 0 1,333 02-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Philips Hue set up questions Deane Johnson 42 16,355 01-01-2016, 01:09 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe