Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My thoughts about creating a generic interface
yeah, that is sweet. We'd have to ask folks to strip out any non-driver stuff from that template first (ie, my 777 template has some Denon stuff in it due to my config). Either that, or create a list of clean templates & a list of "to-be-cleaned" templates.
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
As previously mentioned, I'm working on a demo system, which works in terms of a set of simulator drivers, a good number of which are already in the 2.3 version. Since it works in terms of these simulator drivers, it will always work on any system, and it will provide a good starting point for people and as well as a good in the field demo for installers who want to show off the system.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Great Ideas guy...

Maybe a way to start this will be to have the "veterans", that want to give back. choose a driver group/Interface i.e Itunes would be a great way to start and then volunteer to do a Generic interface for that driver with an instruction list. We could then have a Forum topic for that interface and the person could answer all the questions that a newbie might have...

It would really help those who are new and want to make the jump...
There wouldn't be anything sspecial about iTunes in terms of creating the interfaces. Only in the setup of iTunes itself. All media repositories and players look basically the same to CQC, so they are fairly interchangeable, with slight differences in capabilities. The interfaces would be built exactly the same for any of them.
Dean Roddey
IVB Wrote:yeah, that is sweet. We'd have to ask folks to strip out any non-driver stuff from that template first (ie, my 777 template has some Denon stuff in it due to my config). Either that, or create a list of clean templates & a list of "to-be-cleaned" templates.

It's a great idea but part of the problem is few templates are made to control discrete devices. Rather many/most are based on functionality. For instance, my single template for launching a movie touches my changer (or TT), my Autopatch, a USB-URIT, and either of 2 receivers (both of which have different initial settings when started). It could very well touch a lighting system, display device, phones, etc., etc., etc.

I am slowly building some device specific templates which expose essentially all the functionality of a driver for the equipment I have. While they wouldn't be used in the normal path of watching movies or music or whatever, they could be accessed through the primary interface as a way to tweak specific settings, etc. I plan to access these through a 'tools' or 'advanced' button on the primary templates. My thought is the preset/default settings should be acceptable for 99% of the time but for the 1% and/or testing or troubleshooting the individual templates are a good idea.

As my skills improve I find the functionally integrated templates much more useful and friendly for normal use. But the individual templates are very good 'practice' templates and the above use for them makes developing them worthwhile. One thing I did learn (the hard way) was to use some kind of naming convention to keep all them straight. Of course you veteran programs know all about that already....
Keith
klindy Wrote:It's a great idea but part of the problem is few templates are made to control discrete devices. Rather many/most are based on functionality. For instance, my single template for launching a movie touches my changer (or TT), my Autopatch, a USB-URIT, and either of 2 receivers (both of which have different initial settings when started)...
As my skills improve I find the functionally integrated templates much more useful and friendly for normal use. But the individual templates are very good 'practice' templates and the above use for them makes developing them worthwhile...
Yep, that's all I was thinking about - how the heck does this QCQ thing work? How do templates work?

Once you've gotten that down, then you can move on to integrating them. But I have to admit that when I first started out, I had a whole lot more templates than I do now b/c I went with the 1 overlay per device route cuz I didn't know better.
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
Yeh, many people who are coming from, say, a fancy remote or something will often tend to first think of doing an even fancier remote, where every feature is exposed via it's own button just like on the device panel or remote control. But that's seldom what's really best, particularly if you are wanting to maximize family unit acceptance factor. And this is another reason why it's very difficult to create generic interfaces that are really useful out of the box. Everyone has different combinations of equipment and what needs to happen in the theater when you press the Power button can be radically different in each system.
Dean Roddey
I do like the templates per driver idea above (or in my case below). If a customer loads a particular driver, then he should at minimum have a basic example interface to start with that would demonstrate the drivers functionality. Thats also where the demo features come into play that are being slowly added.
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
DaveB Wrote:I do like the templates per driver idea above (or in my case below). If a customer loads a particular driver, then he should at minimum have a basic example interface to start with that would demonstrate the drivers functionality. Thats also where the demo features come into play that are being slowly added.
I like that idea too.... what if you had a generic template maker for all kinds of devices (just like the media browser) so that a person could get it up and running real fast and then design there own template after they get it working?
tia, Ron

My HT equipment I want to control by CQC (some day hopefully)
Yamaha CX-A5100, Dune HD pro 4k, Dune HD Pro 4k plus, ISY 994i, LG 86" 4k FP, and a projector in the future

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Admin Interface Help Doesn't Work alexismtz13 1 249 04-28-2022, 01:14 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  CQSL Interface Driver connects but no control NightLight 3 571 10-26-2021, 01:12 PM
Last Post: NightLight
  6.0.0 Interface Viewer - Action Trace Mark Stega 1 639 03-09-2021, 06:39 PM
  Cannot Bind Interface to 80 gReatAutomation 1 937 11-05-2020, 04:18 PM
  Check Box widget on WebRIVA vs Interface Viewer bryanb 1 1,046 04-23-2020, 06:15 AM
Last Post: bryanb
  Problem with Accesssing Variables Driver Client Interface kblagron 5 2,132 03-05-2020, 02:24 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Simple device control from Admin Interface simplextech 7 3,156 01-04-2020, 12:18 PM
Last Post: simplextech
  Pause / Resume Triggered or Scheduled Actions from the Interface Viewer gReatAutomation 2 1,947 10-30-2019, 01:38 PM
Last Post: gReatAutomation
  Serialization of CQC SMS Serial Interface Driver gReatAutomation 52 19,391 09-21-2019, 12:59 PM
  Generic-Network Monitor - Config File Error gReatAutomation 17 6,596 06-27-2019, 11:46 AM