Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unusual behavior & RDP
I do alot of my CQC work via RDP, and I have noticed a few things.

First, the machine I RDP into is also the machine with my repository, CQC audio player, and Zoom player. Whenever I RDP into the box, and then try to use these later, I have trouble. The Audio player seems to forget the audio output. Zoom player can't play a movie. At first, I would just reboot the machine and it works, now it seems that if I just log on locally, it corrects itself. It seems like when I RDP into the box, it changes around the available audio (and video) devices. is there a way around this? (aside from remoting into another machine)
rm1759 Wrote:I do alot of my CQC work via RDP, and I have noticed a few things.

First, the machine I RDP into is also the machine with my repository, CQC audio player, and Zoom player. Whenever I RDP into the box, and then try to use these later, I have trouble. The Audio player seems to forget the audio output. Zoom player can't play a movie. At first, I would just reboot the machine and it works, now it seems that if I just log on locally, it corrects itself. It seems like when I RDP into the box, it changes around the available audio (and video) devices. is there a way around this? (aside from remoting into another machine)

This is defininitely an RDP issue; I've seen the same behavior without CQC in the mix, and certainly see it with CQC. The only CQC specific issue that I see is if I install the "CQC Audio Player" from the RDP session, one can only pick the RDP audio device. Playback of audio works subsequently but with frequent "stutters" in the music stream. I have to log on to a real session and reinstall the audio driver. I have also abserved TheaterTek misbehave with movies in a similar fashion.

I do not know if there is any way to avoid the virtualization of the video (you have to see the remote desktop :-) ), but for audio you can set "Leave at the remote computer" as one of the properties of the RDP session.
Mark Stega
You really need to install the player under a separate account from the one you use to access the machine. I created a console account for this and don't use it except when I am on the console which has access to the real audio drivers.

I have also noticed my audio skips when I access a second RDP session on the box. But RDP is pretty resource intensive, so I think that is expected.

If you want to stick with a single RDP session for everything you might want to look into another remote access app that doesn't virtualize the hardware. Maybe VNC, PCAnywhere, etc.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
There are some issues with RDP. I have also seen similar issues to what Mark has mentioned. I use to loose audio drivers until I started using the recent betas. I believe this is something Dean fixed. It was a real pain to fix because my CQC server at the time was headless and as Mark mentioned, only the RDP codexes show up if you try to add an audio driver oer RDP.

It isn't a CQC issue either. My B&K configuration software will not connect with the B&K unit over RDP. While it works fine using the same desktop locally.
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
What I have done is set the RDP client to leave the sound at the remote computer.
I have been running my CQC Server with a touchscreen console running the IV and have had no issues to speak of RDP'ing from another computer. I have not had any trouble using the B&K configuration software either.
kblagron Wrote:I have not had any trouble using the B&K configuration software either.

I can start the program via RDP connection without any problem, but the software will not connect to my CT600 over the computer's serial connection on a RDP session.

If I moved my monitor, keyboard and mouse into the wiring closet and hooked into the computer locally, I had no problem with the B&K software connecting with the CT600.

Now I have not tried either method since I have permanently installed a monitor in the wiring closet. But RDP always gave me issues before.
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
wuench Wrote:You really need to install the player under a separate account from the one you use to access the machine. I created a console account for this and don't use it except when I am on the console which has access to the real audio drivers.

Hmmm, this sounds interesting. Let me see if I understand.

I create a new domain acct. My machine is configured to auto-login as me (start up the CQC App server so that Zoom will startup). I will need to keep this auto login with the console account I created earlier.

Whenever I RDP onto the box, I would use my normal account.

If I have this right, this makes sense to me, and I will do this.
Don't see it mentioned but you might add something like XP Unlimited or thinsoft winconnect etc to the mix. This lets you log in on an RDP account and leave the console account up and running.
Les
Yeah, you do need the XP RDP Hack or XP Unlimited to allow multiple sessions.

I used the XP hack. Also, it helps to download the Win2003 ResKit because it has the terminal services manager admin tools in it to allow you to reset accounts you are not logged in as.

So install one of the above. Create a separate account. Login with that one, not through RDP. Install your audio player driver via CQC Admin and you'll be able to see the real audio drivers. Now leave that account alone.

Use the non-console account for RDP and the console account for console access.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Odd LogicSvr behavior gReatAutomation 2 1,107 08-14-2019, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Odd behavior of Admin interface Mark Stega 1 1,850 10-22-2017, 09:12 AM
  Field Boolean Image behavior pinballmark 6 2,962 12-28-2015, 04:45 PM
Last Post: pinballmark
  New Exception Behavior 4.2.16? wuench 1 1,432 11-19-2012, 12:52 PM
  Elk 5.2.8/M1XEP 1.3.28 firmware curious behavior Ishmael 3 2,404 12-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Last Post: Ishmael
  DBStatement Execute() and Fetch() behavior... jscheller 23 8,189 01-04-2007, 01:04 AM