Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drivers and Documentation
The price required to write a driver is completely dependent on the device. Some are very easy, some are mind bendingly difficult. It depends on the complexity of the device and level of intelligence and understand (of the needs of automationers) of the person who designed the control interface for that device. Sometimes a device that should theoretically be fairly simple turns out to be a complete death march because the protocol is so bad.

So there's no way that the pricing will ever be anything other than "let's make a deal" really.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Dean Roddey Wrote:The price required to write a driver is completely dependent on the device. Some are very easy, some are mind bendingly difficult. It depends on the complexity of the device and level of intelligence and understand (of the needs of automationers) of the person who designed the control interface for that device. Sometimes a device that should theoretically be fairly simple turns out to be a complete death march because the protocol is so bad.

So there's no way that the pricing will ever be anything other than "let's make a deal" really.
makes sense, but it is unfortunate...
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
Hi all...

When I started looking to do my own automation. Two products were recomended to me, I tried both and It did not take me long to realise the power of CQC, It was clear that CQC was just way better written and a superior product and that's why I chose to go with CQC.

As I said in my initial post I think that CQC is a break hrough product with a lot of potential.
Home automation is going to get very big in the next 10-20years and I think CQC should be poised to take advantage of this. Most my friends are looking to set up some sort of automation in their homes but most of them are used to using Iphones and not Lotus.
The pro marke3t is very competitive but the DIY semit pro market is wide open.

I have put a lot of time into CQC and am well into underderstanding how i'm going to make everything work for me and i'm well into intergrating most of what i'm going to to( Although I finally gave up on the whole theatertek movie player thing for my home theater as I just can't get it to work most of the time.)
My comments came after I spent my whole Sunday (WAF taken into accout)
intergrating my Axis Camera, After I finally got i to work(mostly) I realised that it was pretty simple and If I had access to the right information, it may have taken me less than an hour to do. The documentation isasue I guess is easier to fix, but I just dont want something so simple to drive potential customers away. As a growing system we need every customer we can get and it will pay off for most of us.
As to the Driver issue i'm sure there can be some middle ground somewhere i.e if I wanted a sharp TV driver and an Axis camera Driver how long will it take and how much will it cost.
Remember that like most DIY's i'm willing to pay ONLY up to about $100 for each feature, but I don't mind paying month after month if i'm interested,.
There's a lot of money to be generated out there, and you just have to figure how to do it.
If there are documentation issues, just let us know and we'll fix them if they are in our documentation. Or if you think some specific bit of info is missing, let us know and we can add it if it's reasonable. But if it's something to do with the product you are interaction with, and it's not just something that has to do with how CQC interacts with it, that's something for the product specific documentation. We could never document all the things we connect to and keep that documentation reasonably up to date. That's something for the vendor of that product to do. We just try to document how to connect to it, how CQC interacts with it, and any known gotchas wrt to CQC's interaction with it.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
SomeWhatLost Wrote:makes sense, but it is unfortunate...

In the early days Homeseer was a lot like CQC is now, with lots of individuals contributing and no formal program for development. Then they tried to take control of the process and distribute the drivers themselves. As a part of it, the driver developers lost control of pricing and many driver prices were raised. This caused a big backlash, with some big driver developers bolting, hurt feelings, and overall an increased cost to the end users. In their defense a lot of it was caused by the way they rolled out the new system without making the developers feel like they were a part of the process. But it caused a lot of issues in the end.

I think Dean is wise to keep things loose and not try to exert too much control over the process.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
Hi Bandy111 you might want to check out the thread below, Some of your devices are in my list, e.g the Anthem and the Sharp, perhaps we can pool together resources to have these drivers written, pm me if you want to dicuss things further.

http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/sho...php?t=4983
Hi...

I already posted this in the other thread and , i'm intersted in the Sharp 45, and 52 the Toshiba DVD, the Anthem D2 and also would like to add the Motorola Cable box DCT 6214 and the Axis Camera server to the list.
bandy111 Wrote:Hi...

I already posted this in the other thread and , i'm intersted in the Sharp 45, and 52 the Toshiba DVD, the Anthem D2 and also would like to add the Motorola Cable box DCT 6214 and the Axis Camera server to the list.

Please use the thread linked below for all requests....We're going to try and keep them in one place so the requests don't get lost and driver writers can tackle them as time permits. I'll go ahead and update the Anthem and Sharp since we have the protocol links with your request.

http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/sho...php?t=4988

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lutron RA2 & Caseta drivers Mark Stega 2 47 09-19-2021, 05:24 AM
Last Post: Mark Stega
  Weather Drivers simplextech 10 3,659 01-05-2020, 10:51 AM
Last Post: simplextech
  Using Drivers within CML Macro Jnetto 1 2,598 01-01-2017, 09:33 AM
Last Post: wuench
  Drivers for new equipment George M 10 6,833 12-17-2016, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Mark Stega
  Non-Shipped Drivers Links Dean Roddey 6 9,591 01-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Wuench's Drivers wuench 3 12,118 06-09-2014, 02:44 PM
  Lighting IP Drivers willplaice 3 4,274 04-27-2013, 02:30 AM
Last Post: znelbok
  Any drivers need to be added/updated for 4.2? Dean Roddey 8 6,301 08-01-2012, 10:01 AM
  Protocol Documentation Repository? znelbok 7 5,305 06-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Last Post: batwater
  Any PTZ Drivers In Existence? zpollock 0 3,442 11-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Last Post: zpollock