Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drivers in Progress Discussion
It needs to have been in the field with some number of users for a while, without problems, or if there are problems, they are problems that everyone using it agrees are unavoidable due to the nature of the device and just have to be documented.

You need to send me the raw files (not a driver pack) along with the documentation, which is the same stuff that is on every driver documentation page. It would be nice if people followed the style and structure of similar drivers that I've done, but that seldom happens. It should of course have enough comments in the code to make it reasonable for somone else to pick it up if necessary, though it doesn't need to duplicate the protocol documentation info, just the practical implementation comments.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Dean left out the part about the sacrificial goat offering...or mailing him a case of beer.
What kind... it'll be on a truck tomorrow...
Dean Roddey Wrote:It needs to have been in the field with some number of users for a while, without problems, or if there are problems, they are problems that everyone using it agrees are unavoidable due to the nature of the device and just have to be documented.

In some cases, the 'some number of users' ends up being one...I think that might be why alot of drivers in progress languish in the 'in progress' state. They are one-off's and may serve the use of one user but not really developed in the manner or completeness with docs that make them suitable to be included into an official release. I honestly don't know how to deal with these, other than they perpetually stay on the 'in progress' list.
Mikla Wrote:What kind... it'll be on a truck tomorrow...

I think he's partial to Mountain, but on occassion settles, for Billy.
If a driver has only ever had one driver, probably it shouldn't go into the release. Or, if it does, it should be marked in the documentation as not having been vetted to any great degree.
Dean Roddey
I don't think it easy for us to tell how many users are using it. And Sometimes you write one and the requester just drops of the face of the Earth.

It's up to you, but I think including the drivers in the release by default only benefits the product. If you don't want to include all drivers in a release, then I would like to see a better place for them to be stored and documented than this forum. I am a little hesitant to participate in an non-CQC site for this stuff unless we have a place to store "released" versions.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
There are a lot of issues though. If we ship the driver, and we sell product based on that driver being there, then we become responsible for it if the original writer goes away and the driver stops working or has problems. This is a large potential issue for us.

But if you were thinking that all the drivers would be there, and not in the product, that's not the case. This would be for drivers in development. The released drivers would ship with the product, at least until we reached a point where the sheer size made it impossible, at which time we'd probably move to a scenario where you could download them from our web site directly through the product or something. But that's a good ways off since drivers aren't very large.
Dean Roddey
The more I noodle over it, the more I think it really needs to stay a part of CQC somehow. From support issues to legal issues to versioning issues, it would seem that driver's that can be imported into CQC should be under the control of CQC. If not, you run the risk of gaining the reputation of a hacked product. Even though the driver's are very much under control through CML/PDL environments, the casual HA enthusiests that's evaluating products doesn't know this, and shouldn't have to go to a 3rd party site to see potential products and to be honest, shouldn't have to look in the forum either. There needs to be a structured environment where they are maintained and easily accessible to developer, user and potential user alike. The environment may very well resemble Mikla's excellent work, but again, in my opinion, it really needs to be under CQC's domain.
I don't know what site OS/software you are on, but it might be nice to add a Wiki or Joomla sight (like CQCUsers had) that users can access. Then we could store those files and update our own docs for drivers that aren't in the release. We could even add tips, etc. And it would be a lot easier to search than the forum. For liability, maybe you could even add a blurb about this site is user maintained, we are not responsible if something here blows up your house, yada yada yada...

It sounds like a logical step, since you are considering not packaging all drivers in the future at some date. Now you would have an easy list to look through from time to time and if you think there is one that would have a wide audience you could put it in the release. And we wouldn't need to worry about sending them to you by a certain date, etc...

I respect and appreciate what Mikla is trying to do, and think it is a great idea, but I just worry about that sight going away at some point, or not being backed up, etc. I would rather see it Dean's hands...
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lutron RA2 & Caseta drivers Mark Stega 6 815 09-25-2021, 06:17 AM
Last Post: Mark Stega
  Weather Drivers simplextech 10 4,734 01-05-2020, 10:51 AM
Last Post: simplextech
  Using Drivers within CML Macro Jnetto 1 7,047 01-01-2017, 09:33 AM
Last Post: wuench
  Drivers for new equipment George M 10 7,678 12-17-2016, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Mark Stega
  Non-Shipped Drivers Links Dean Roddey 6 10,577 01-09-2016, 10:42 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Wuench's Drivers wuench 3 12,579 06-09-2014, 02:44 PM
  OnQ/Legrand ALC Lighting Driver - In Progress beelzerob 131 50,645 01-21-2014, 02:12 PM
Last Post: rbroders
  Lighting IP Drivers willplaice 3 4,691 04-27-2013, 02:30 AM
Last Post: znelbok
  Any drivers need to be added/updated for 4.2? Dean Roddey 8 6,987 08-01-2012, 10:01 AM
  Any PTZ Drivers In Existence? zpollock 0 3,650 11-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Last Post: zpollock