Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DirecTV HR250 HD TIVO
I need to do the following...
1. record HD over the air
2. not be a subscriber to DirecTV

Can I do that with this unit?
I might eventually subscribe but I have heard that DTV is sending code to the receiver that disables the unit if you end your contract.
tia, Ron

My HT equipment I want to control by CQC (some day hopefully)
Yamaha CX-A5100, Dune HD pro 4k, Dune HD Pro 4k plus, ISY 994i, LG 86" 4k FP, and a projector in the future
I have had issues where my HDTivo becomes unsubscribed and it won't let me record anything. So I am going to say it won't work.

But the Tivo Community Forum on AVS would probably be the best place to ask.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
Ooh... I had found one on Videogon and the owner didn't know.
tia, Ron

Yamaha CX-A5100, Dune HD pro 4k, Dune HD Pro 4k plus, ISY 994i, LG 86" 4k FP, and a projector in the future
another thing... can it be controlled with the DTV driver via serial?
tia, Ron

Nope. They are a whole different beast. I control mine via USB-UIRT.

They run linux and are hackable. I even have a web interface on mine. If you could find a command line utility that executes the commands you might be able to construct a driver for it. But I doubt it is worth the time anymore as they are on the way out.

Also, these won't pick up the new satellites That means no HD locals via SAT, You'll only be able to get a handful of HD channels and none of the new 150 channels of HD coming soon that they keep advertising.

I love the Tivo interface, but I think i'll be dumping mine this fall for a new box.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
wuench Wrote:Nope. They are a whole different beast. I control mine via USB-UIRT.

They run linux and are hackable. I even have a web interface on mine. If you could find a command line utility that executes the commands you might be able to construct a driver for it. But I doubt it is worth the time anymore as they are on the way out.

Also, these won't pick up the new satellites That means no HD locals via SAT, You'll only be able to get a handful of HD channels and none of the new 150 channels of HD coming soon that they keep advertising.

I love the Tivo interface, but I think i'll be dumping mine this fall for a new box.
I'm only interested in recoeding HD channels with my antennae.... but to have to use IR:-( . I was hoping it was controllable via serial through CQC.
tia, Ron

I'm not sure about budget or cost differences, but I think the best solution to recording OTA in a controllable CQC format is to use SAGE and the HDHomeRun dual ethernet box. Of course this isn't a stand alone system and will require a computer to run SAGE, but as long as your CQC server isn't too slow, I would think you could use it.
Brian - a long time user that rarely messes with the system now
Other systems used:
SageTV w/ cablecard tuner & multiple extenders for viewing
BlueIris and IP cameras for CCTV
Incredible PBX for home phone
Well I'm going to take my chances with a HR 250... getting it fo $195 delivered to my door. Looks like i'll be trying the usb uirt again.. gotta dig it up out of the old stuff box.
tia, Ron

ellisr63 Wrote:I'm only interested in recoeding HD channels with my antennae.... but to have to use IR:-( . I was hoping it was controllable via serial through CQC.

I could swear that there was a thread about this a month or two ago where someone had done a driver for this HD Tivo. hmm
Sendero Wrote:I could swear that there was a thread about this a month or two ago where someone had done a driver for this HD Tivo. hmm
found it... :-)
tia, Ron

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CQC + Tivo Control potts.mike 60 18,098 03-01-2015, 12:34 PM
Last Post: batwater
  DirecTV/Sage/HD-PVR Setup??? Sendero 6 2,653 04-27-2009, 08:02 AM
Last Post: IVB
  TiVo question Mark Stega 8 2,083 07-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Last Post: LesAuber
  Question for all tivo users watching HDD based movies wolverines 6 3,226 06-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Last Post: wolverines
  Cable Subscriber considering DirecTV fivestar 30 6,156 08-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Last Post: sweethip
  Cable vs. DirecTV kwoodrow 26 4,795 10-08-2006, 07:19 AM
Last Post: zaccari
  Samsung Flip-Top DIRECTV Satellite Receiver/LCD TV Combo Ripper 5 4,462 09-15-2006, 05:26 PM
Last Post: emillika