Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buy.com 7% coupon
ellisr63 Wrote:Ooh... didn't know that. how much is the elite and does it come with the HDDVD? Does the XBox play the HD Combo DVDs to? What is needed to use it in another room... another 360 or is there a less expensive unit for addons?
tia,
Ron

The elite is $480, but M$ is def. lowering the price sooon, just not sure when.. BUT it does NOT come with the HDDVD, thats a addon and cost $199..so you can add it anytime.it also works with your PC, so you can use it in your HTPC...

You can get new premium on ebay for around $350ish
They just released an HDMI cable for the non-elites too. So you have a choice there.

As far as running it from another room, the controllers are wireless and have decent range. Mine works across the room (20ft), I can't tell from another room as I can't see the screen. :-) So I guess it would depend on how far that room is from the XBox...

And you can download HD movies from XBox live as another option to the HDDVD. Haven't tried it yet though.

I think the best thing XBox has over PS3 is the live aspect. I was playing Lost Planet early this morning with people from half a dozen countries (only 2 other Americans). I found it interesting that everyone started speaking english to communicate when the need arose. Also, as a network guy, I am shocked that they can do live gaming and voice so well around the world. There is some lag, but not much. Nothing like I have seen on older PC games and the original XBox.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
What I meant was the Media extender.... is that $299 for every room and does that mean you can play a game in every room too? Also is the Elite for $130 more just in black? I have a HDTV cable (as I recall ) from my old XBox... will that work?
tia,
Ron
tia, Ron

My HT equipment I want to control by CQC (some day hopefully)
Yamaha CX-A5100, Dune HD pro 4k, Dune HD Pro 4k plus, ISY 994i, LG 86" 4k FP, and a projector in the future
sweethip Wrote:the 360 does 1080p using the VGA connector, or if you go with the elite, it does 1080p using HDMI
according to this it is 1080i...:-?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...ct&count=2
tia, Ron

Yamaha CX-A5100, Dune HD pro 4k, Dune HD Pro 4k plus, ISY 994i, LG 86" 4k FP, and a projector in the future
ellisr63 Wrote:according to this it is 1080i...:-?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...ct&count=2
The 360 will do 1080P through VGA and through component whose TV's allow a 1080P connection through the component inputs. Most people use the VGA connection for 1080P, and it appears the best way to go. I am pretty for sure that there isn't a HDMI cable available for non-elite XBOX 360's, as it required some hardware changing.

BTW - I own an XBOX360 premium, so I am positive on the 1080P over VGA
Bauer83 Wrote:The 360 will do 1080P through VGA and through component whose TV's allow a 1080P connection through the component inputs. Most people use the VGA connection for 1080P, and it appears the best way to go. I am pretty for sure that there isn't a HDMI cable available for non-elite XBOX 360's, as it required some hardware changing.

BTW - I own an XBOX360 premium, so I am positive on the 1080P over VGA
No, but I have a component XBox cable though.
tia, Ron

ellisr63 Wrote:What I meant was the Media extender....
1 - is that $299 for every room
2 - and does that mean you can play a game in every room too?
3 - Also is the Elite for $130 more just in black?
4 - I have a HDTV cable (as I recall ) from my old XBox... will that work?

Ron,

1 - yes its for every room, but you only need one media\TV MCE\Vista MC server to get the data from, whether its live TV, music, movies, etc

2 - You can play games in all rooms, that have a 360..you can even configure the 360 to load(pressing the power button) right into Windows media center

3 - No it also adds a 120GB harddrive + HDMI output..everything else is the same

4 - Nope, wont work..put you can grab a 360 component cable off ebay for just under $20 bucks...

Now the 360 will 1080p on TVs that support it, on VGA and Component..but not all TVs supports 1080p through component..most do using VGA ..so it up to the TV

There is a cable coming out that will allow us to use HDMI on the white 360's
Its a converter, more info HERE

Im on my third 360, and i think its great... i rarely play games(just madden), but use them all as extenders around the house..waiting for the DirecTV card so i can use the 360's to distribute my HD around the house ..you can do this now with a cablecard PC

Now i only wish dean can make 360 plugin that will show up on the 360 when in extender mode, but in the mean time i use mControl

let me know if you have anymore questions
Wow.... It sounds like I should go the XBox 360 route... It will cost a little more (by the time I get the HD DVD player) but it is much more expandable in the house.

Questions....
if you have 2 XBox 360s, can you play a game with a person on the other machine?
Will windows Media Center 2005 work?

XBox 360 driver would be nice!
tia,
Ron
tia, Ron

ellisr63 Wrote:Question.... if you have 2 XBox 360s, can you play a game with a person on the other machine?

yea BUT you would need 2 games, and of course be on your houses network

yea the 360 is very expandable for future use, alot of people dont know about using it as a extender + live is great... but like i said i rarely use the 360 and live for games... live is great for HD movies and TV shows as well as getting access to the lasted playable demos...oh yea i forgot Xbox live Arcade..witch adds old games like Contra, Street fighter..and just released last night sonic the hedgehog and goldenaxe as well as some games my wifes plays like Uno...

E3 was last night and they said this, just to put it into perspective
Xbox live is Currently offering more than 2,350 hours of premium entertainment content from 28 networks and studios, and nearly 500 hours of HD content alone, this puts the U.S. on-demand, high-definition library for Xbox 360 at more than twice the size of the nearest cable provider
ellisr63 Wrote:XBox 360 driver would be nice!

yea tell me about it, i wanted this since i first heard about CQC, back in Jan, 07 made a couple of posts but no luck...

I mean we would just need a Vista Media Center plugin, so the 360 can display it and have its own CQC icon in Vista Media center