Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Automatically shutting off and turning on seconday computer
I am looking to find a way to automatically shut off and turn on my secondary computer. Right now I have one main computer that does everything, is quite loud, and sucks energy. I was hoping to just run a small rackmount which would control everything except for music/video. Then the secondary server could just control theatertek when needed(not too often) but my mp3 collection mainly. So what I was hoping to do was have events that would properly (not just flicking a switch) shut down this machine and then bring it back online when required.

Anyone got any ideas?
You can start it up easily enough using WOL. CQC can send a WOL packet to it. On the shutdown, just find a little shutdown program and invoke it via the app control server.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Are you really going to be okay to wait for bootup when you want to listen to tunes or watch a movie?
robertmee Wrote:Are you really going to be okay to wait for bootup when you want to listen to tunes or watch a movie?

Ahh but here is the plan - when the alarm is put into armed mode - power down the computer. When we are home during specific times of the day, keep it running. However, past midnight monday thru thursday, there is no need for it to be on, as my wife is sleeping and I am watching tv in bed. So its not so much to keep it off while we are at home, but we both work during the day, and to not have to worry about continually turning it off and on would be great.
Dean Roddey Wrote:You can start it up easily enough using WOL. CQC can send a WOL packet to it. On the shutdown, just find a little shutdown program and invoke it via the app control server.

So when you set it to wake up on lan - how would I configure CQC to send it a packet? I have never understood how the wake-up-on lan fully worked in practice.
Dean Roddey Wrote:You can start it up easily enough using WOL. CQC can send a WOL packet to it. On the shutdown, just find a little shutdown program and invoke it via the app control server.

Can you still do that from another PC running the IV if the CQC server is running on that PC that you want to "wake up"?
Yeh, the WOL packet is sent from the client side. I'm assuming here that the master server isn't down. He's talking about moving the MS to another machine, so it would always be up. So he'd just send the packet from some client (just have a "Wake Up" button or something like that.)

The System action command target has a SendWOL command to do this, and you can do it from a CML macro as well. You send it to the MAC address of the target machine. You generally have to enable this functionality on the target machine in the BIOS, and it's always possible that your LAN card doesn't support it.
Dean Roddey
Bauer83 Wrote:So when you set it to wake up on lan - how would I configure CQC to send it a packet? I have never understood how the wake-up-on lan fully worked in practice.
I don't know how to make CQC send the packet, but the general principle behind wake-on-lan is that you send a packet that is nothing but the MAC address of the NIC you want to wake up repeated to fill the packet, I think 4 times. The packet is then sent to the broadcast address on your network (the .255 I believe) so that it hits every machine. The NIC in the sleeping machine is just awake enough to read off the broadcast address and see if it gets this wake-up packet. If it does, it talks to the BIOS and basically simulates the power switch being pressed.

For the shutdown, I recommend psshutdown:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinte...tdown.mspx
BTW, the SendWOL thing will do the multiple sends for you. You don't need to call it multiple times!
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:BTW, the SendWOL thing will do the multiple sends for you. You don't need to call it multiple times!

Perfect... I will try this when I order up the new master server.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transferring CQC to new computer MikeA 9 3,529 04-15-2014, 04:45 PM
Last Post: MikeA
  Turning light off after certain time royalj7 8 3,162 11-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Last Post: royalj7
  Automatically refresh web image widget in RIVA? standon 8 4,502 02-26-2012, 08:45 AM
Last Post: kfly
  One computer, two IVs? Micco 14 4,793 01-14-2010, 02:34 AM
Last Post: trouble
  Audio/Computer Problem - help diagnosing sic0048 4 2,493 01-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Last Post: beelzerob
  Using Domain - now computer won't connect sic0048 17 5,977 03-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Last Post: sic0048
  Low Power Computer for CQC Installation thall411 2 1,996 12-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Last Post: froop
  HP's touch screen computer Brightan 3 2,061 08-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Last Post: sic0048
  Rethinking My Computer Setup cavalier240 21 6,335 05-14-2008, 02:23 AM
Last Post: jmwhooper
  Recommendations for a CQC computer? 3pedal 6 2,652 01-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Last Post: IVB