Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free/Cheap Stuff
beelzerob Wrote:Ya, but if everything in the house is off, and you suddenly need to make an annoucement, isn't there some lag for the power to actually kick in?

time to power-on, even if switching wasn't an issue, is my angst. I tried it with the Xantech, although admittedly not with the NuVo Concerto. Still, I can't imagine it's much faster, even a Class D amp must take a moment to start up.

When there's someone at the doorbell, it's visibly annoying to hear them walk up, pause, and hear the doorbell 1s later. The wife would say "wait for it, wait for it..."
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
IVB Wrote:When there's someone at the doorbell, it's visibly annoying to hear them walk up, pause, and hear the doorbell 1s later. The wife would say "wait for it, wait for it..."

:-D :-D :-D

Hahaha. She sounds like she has a good sense of humor.
beelzerob Wrote::-D :-D :-D

Hahaha. She sounds like she has a good sense of humor.

Oh trust me, that was a mocking, derisive sense of humor.
Oh, I know..I could tell. That's the kind of humor I appreciate...the kind that knows JUST how to reduce all of your hard home-automation effort to something feeble and laughable.

My wife doesn't actually employ this humor on me....yet...but it's more the kind I employ on myself. My current source of amusement is that I can stand with the front door open for sometimes 10 seconds before I hear the annoucement....or even better, I sometimes hear it after I've actually closed the door and am walking away.
IVB Wrote:Oh trust me, that was a mocking, derisive sense of humor.

Your wife didn't mock me! I actually got cookies! Of course she made me share them with you......:-D

I HAVE been on the receiving end of the same mocking, derisive sense of humor in my own house (without the cookies)! Go figure! Confusedhock:
Keith
Ah, but you were helping me with something that moved the ball forward and she'd appreciate, which was laying down a new floor.

Switching out a completely functional doorbell with the equivalent but through a PC "cuz it would be cool to control it" was not something she was onboard with. She tolerated it because she joked with her friends that "at least I know where my husband is at night, and what he's doing with this time" :-)
Oh ya...those are by FAR the hardest to pull off successfully. When you take a very simple and working system and "improve it" with lots of money, complexity and unreliability. Those are the tough ones.
Yeah, like taking a working light switch and putting a computer controlled lighting system behind it, controlling the lot (without spending $20K for the big boy toy). We won't even go into IVB's replacement for a perfectly functioning door lock with an maglock.

Russ...
Added a bluetooth keyboard & mouse and my Sony 777ES dvd megachanger.

Beelzerob has first dibs on the keybd/mouse.
IVB Wrote:Added a bluetooth keyboard & mouse and my Sony 777ES dvd megachanger.

Beelzerob has first dibs on the keybd/mouse.

Any idea on cost of shipping the Sony to Washington State?

Brian

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Items (you pay shipping) Sacedog 2 4,498 07-18-2014, 11:13 AM
Last Post: zaccari
  Spring Cleaning of some HA stuff... DaveB 7 5,257 05-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Last Post: DaveB
  X-10 Lots o Stuff robertmee 0 3,521 09-21-2009, 05:35 AM
Last Post: robertmee
  FREE C-Bus keypad Steve 0 2,044 09-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Steve
  DT Research 366, WCE, wireless 8" TP, CHEAP! AnthonyZ 14 7,759 05-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  LG 47LG50 LCD - $1099 @ TigerDirect, free shipping SamVimes2 0 2,199 04-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Last Post: SamVimes2
  FS: Misc Stuff jchurley 9 6,985 03-14-2009, 05:34 AM
Last Post: jchurley
  Need an enclosure? Thermostat? Other stuff - Setnet having 40% off sale sic0048 0 2,326 01-15-2009, 07:37 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  FS: Used and Old Stock INSTEON, WinTerm and other stuff ToyMaster458 6 4,239 07-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Last Post: ToyMaster458
  Extron 100 8x8 switch (and some other stuff) Target 1 2,594 07-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Trioxide