Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free/Cheap Stuff
A remote for the RoadyXT? There is none, they're tiny little jobbers.
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
IVB Wrote:A remote for the RoadyXT? There is none, they're tiny little jobbers.

Roady Remote
Beginning to clear out the parts closet, added the GC-100-12 and an iScan HD (might be plus, i need to check).

I have a full blown PC in an Sonata case with XP on it that i'll probably sell; works fine, it's just decommisioned. I need to stew on that before doing something silly though.
What size is the case and what processor?

Russ...
It's an Antec Sonata. Full size ATX case, generally used for fileservers since it holds boatloads of hard disks. The proc is an older one, I think it's 2.6GHz single-core Intel something. IIRC, it's an mATX mobo.

Fair warning - the case is pretty scratched up. It's been in the basement, getting hit with stuff. Not bent at all, but very scuffed.
Ditching one of my Fujitsu 3400 with W2K Pro on it as I never use it. (it's the one in the H/T room, I'm strictly a SageTV UI, but use the laptops with CQC if I need to).
What's the deal with those Elk speakers? Is that the favored way to deal with TTS?

I'm kind of wondering how best to handle house-wide annoucements. It seems that when I finall do get whole-house audio, it'll still be a pain to have to power-up the thing, switch inputs, adjust volume, and then say "Get out, get out!!". But the deal wtih those Elk speakers is that they're essentially always on, right?

Of course, correct me if I'm wrong...but they are meant to only work with an Elk, right? In that case....nevermind. but I'll still be looking for a better solution for my house.
Well, they're regular 8Ohm speakers so they could work with anything, but it would be a darn shame to hook them up to a real stereo cuz for anything other than text or the sporadic doorbell .WAV file, they'll sound like crap.

They're not always on, I have 7 Elk around the house. I hooked them up via Elk relays, so I can turn them on/off at will. Mine are the 32Ohm single-gang ones, what i'm selling is the 8Ohm/surface mount ones.
beelzerob Wrote:It seems that when I finall do get whole-house audio, it'll still be a pain to have to power-up the thing, switch inputs, adjust volume, and then say "Get out, get out!!". But the deal wtih those Elk speakers is that they're essentially always on, right?

Of course, correct me if I'm wrong...but they are meant to only work with an Elk, right? In that case....nevermind. but I'll still be looking for a better solution for my house.
Gee, when you put it that way it makes it seem like my few lines of action code are way too much to play TTS through the Nuvo SmileWith something like the Grand Concerto all those things you mention are all built in and handled. I couldn't imagine having a bunch of separate crappier speakers all over for TTS when good speakers are already installed. But I'm sure there are advantages to both.
Ya, but if everything in the house is off, and you suddenly need to make an annoucement, isn't there some lag for the power to actually kick in?

True, it's handled with the GC via paging, right? But most of the whole-house systems I've looked at that I could afford probably won't include that, so all the switching would have to be done by me, and again I'd be concerned about the lag.

I'm not too worried about crappier speakers....right now, our only source for TTS annoucements are the $10 PC speakers I found on ebay....so how bad could something else be? ;-)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Items (you pay shipping) Sacedog 2 4,498 07-18-2014, 11:13 AM
Last Post: zaccari
  Spring Cleaning of some HA stuff... DaveB 7 5,257 05-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Last Post: DaveB
  X-10 Lots o Stuff robertmee 0 3,521 09-21-2009, 05:35 AM
Last Post: robertmee
  FREE C-Bus keypad Steve 0 2,044 09-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Steve
  DT Research 366, WCE, wireless 8" TP, CHEAP! AnthonyZ 14 7,759 05-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  LG 47LG50 LCD - $1099 @ TigerDirect, free shipping SamVimes2 0 2,199 04-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Last Post: SamVimes2
  FS: Misc Stuff jchurley 9 6,985 03-14-2009, 05:34 AM
Last Post: jchurley
  Need an enclosure? Thermostat? Other stuff - Setnet having 40% off sale sic0048 0 2,326 01-15-2009, 07:37 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  FS: Used and Old Stock INSTEON, WinTerm and other stuff ToyMaster458 6 4,239 07-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Last Post: ToyMaster458
  Extron 100 8x8 switch (and some other stuff) Target 1 2,594 07-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Trioxide