Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DVR Functionality thoughts?
Well, I certainly do credit them with the thoroughness of their API....I wish all potential devices could do so much. And the community is also very very helpful.

Ok, I'm not opposed to it. It might be really really easy. But I don't see that it's worthwhile to do unless you have the EPG to work with. Then again, when I schedule recordings in BTV, I don't use the EPG typically...I just do a title search. And that we could do now with string fields.

He's right, you could just pass an airing object to the Record call, and it would set it up....but I don't know how it handles recording priority, or recording schedule conflicts. Would you really want the capability to setup recordings without also having to take those into account? And if you do want to take those into account, then that's added steps/complexity to just recording. Perhaps it works on default values of priority and show deconfliction, but again, it's a question of if you'd want that or not.
beelzerob Wrote:He's right, you could just pass an airing object to the Record call, and it would set it up....but I don't know how it handles recording priority, or recording schedule conflicts. Would you really want the capability to setup recordings without also having to take those into account? And if you do want to take those into account, then that's added steps/complexity to just recording. Perhaps it works on default values of priority and show deconfliction, but again, it's a question of if you'd want that or not.

Well, what i'm interested in first & foremost is keeping things as "dumb" aka simple as possible on the CQC side, and pushing the work to SageTV wherever possible. Those guys have spent tons of time working on this, let's use them for what they do best.

With that in mind, what you could do is just push the show to the record call. Then, have a seperate read-only field that indicates conflict existence (or not). Displaying that on the CQC field passively would be the indicator to the user that they need to go into SageTV and manually determine what to do.

I'm not trying to do away with entering the sageTV functionality altogether - unless there's an off-the-shelf TV template for use with CQC, that's not reasonable as it's tons of work for someone to write all this crap themselves. Akin to CD playing now, if it's just donkey work to pound through DVR setup then that could be value-add.

Yes/no/maybeso?
------------------------------------
Some of my devices: Sonos, Aeotec zWave, Nest, Rain8Net, Various H/T
What's next: CQC-Voice, Brultech GEM
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
FYI - i'm showing jkmonroe what's available via the web interface on gotomeeting right now if anyone cares. It's 9:30 pm PST, probably won't be longer than 15mins though.

Please join my meeting at https://www.gotomeeting.com/join/207851324
ok, here's screenshots of the web interface rendered inside CQC. Looks decent but the setup clearly requires a mouse, so it won't work from a touchpanel. That's kiss of death level for me...

This is the home page:
[Image: sage_home.jpg]

This is the EPG:
[Image: sage_epg.jpg]

Selecting a show inside that EPG brings this up:
[Image: sage_epg_show.jpg]

Checking conflicts
[Image: sage_conflicts.jpg]

Checking favorites
[Image: sage_favorites.jpg]

Adding a new favorite
[Image: sage_favorite_new.jpg]

Searching for a new show
[Image: sage_search.jpg]
In which way does its requiring a mouse make it un-touchpanelable? I would tend to think that would almost be a requirement.
I don't have a mouse on my touchpanels .
heh...well, what I mean is....what actions require a mouse that cannot be done via a finger? Mouses are used for selecting stuff, which my finger can certainly do. Things like dragging a lasso....well, that'd be something I probably can't do with my finger.

It just seems like a finger on a touchscreen can do almost everything a mouse can....at least, closer than it can to a keyboard. :-)
beelzerob Wrote:heh...well, what I mean is....what actions require a mouse that cannot be done via a finger? Mouses are used for selecting stuff, which my finger can certainly do. Things like dragging a lasso....well, that'd be something I probably can't do with my finger.

It just seems like a finger on a touchscreen can do almost everything a mouse can....at least, closer than it can to a keyboard. :-)

Ah. The Sage Webserver uses dynamic HTML, meaning those menus at the top aren't clickable themselves but rather are mouseovers with menus dropping down.

I'll have to take a pic of what I mean, but basically I don't think you can get to the EPG without that. I'll research that further to confirm that.
Now here's an interesting find: There actually is a direct URL to each of those areas. That means that I can type in http://core2:8081/sage/EpgGrid and it'll take me right to the EPG.

I added 3 buttons to my SageWeb overlay for those commonly used items. Check it out.

Reviewing the requests here I see the following.

Quote:and in the future have a EPG embedded directly into CQC that will also allow you the ability to schedule shows and play the TV channel by clicking on the EPG.
Demonstrated above via web interface, although that's not as clean as a native EPG widget.

Quote:from within the CQC UI i think that we need to be able to see a list of recorded TV shows along with dates/times/descriptions/ratings/etc,
There today via beelzerob's existing fxnlty
Quote:see a list of upcoming shows that are to be recorded along with dates/desc/etc,
Mostly there today (no description)
Quote:have the ability to play a show from the recorded TV list,
There now.
Quote:have the ability to delete an upcoming show thats to be recorded...
Doable via web interface

Quote:3. Search function for things to record
Doable via web interface

Quote:4. Live TV access (we still use it for news and occasionally sports)
Doable via web interface (through EPG)

So the big question is:
For the short-mid term, where, if anywhere, is this blend of native & web interface lacking in delivering desired functionality for SageTV? Obviously we'd all prefer native widgets for everything, and there's certainly formatting and text style issues on this sheet, but it might be "good enough" to declare a touchdown.

I'm not sure any of us can answer that until we play with the web interface more. One thing I noticed is that you cannot do a popup over a web widget, so that's a little icky.

[Image: overlay_sageweb_epg.jpg]
Quote:Mostly there today (no description)
It'd be pretty easy, by the way, to give you the same info for upcoming recordings that you select, as you get for recorded shows that you select. Description, times, actors, etc.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wife Request - Ideas and Thoughts jkmonroe 10 7,096 12-30-2016, 02:46 AM
Last Post: znelbok
  Thoughts on 5.0 RichardU 3 2,200 11-01-2016, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Cortana - idle thoughts pjgregory 7 2,800 04-02-2015, 05:47 AM
Last Post: pjgregory
  Thoughts about the next step in solution auto-generation Dean Roddey 2 2,126 09-15-2011, 03:45 PM
  Thoughts on the new Philips DCP851/37 as input device bmackrell 3 2,870 01-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Last Post: sic0048
  My thoughts about creating a generic interface CalypsoCowboy 18 4,594 12-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Last Post: ellisr63
  CQC Functionality gacevich 18 7,031 07-20-2007, 03:31 AM
Last Post: robertmee
  Jukebox Functionality Bauer83 30 9,076 03-27-2007, 04:03 PM