Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help me understand how the CQC controller can work
I am still working on having CQC control my hardware devices. I'm almost done and I've been starting to think about how to do things like browse my music/DVD collections etc with CQC.

At the moment my primary controller is a pocket PC but, on the system I'm using at the moment (not CQC) I have the pocket PC display music/DVD collections etc and I can make my selections from there. However, I also have the ability to browse my media collections from my primary display - an InFocus IN76 projector if it's on. Obviously there will be times when I just want to listen to music without having the projector on, and having the PPC display the collection allows me to do that. When it comes to selecting movies though, I find it's much nicer to have the projector display the movie collection. If I use the PPC to display the "next page" the next page of movies is displayed on the projector, and the PPC is the device used to do this, and also to select which movie to watch. This way everything is 'in sync' but it makes it easier to see what's been selected and either go ahead, or return and make a new selection - especially when I have a larger group of people over.

Now it's only just occurred to me that CQC might not operate this way at all. It might be that all collections - music/DVDs and others can only be browsed on the main controller - which might explain why so many CQC users here choose controllers larger than a PPC.

So my question is - with CQC, is it possible to browse your media on both your display device and your controller simultaneously - as I've just described? What are most people doing to control/browse their media?

I'm committed to continuing my CQC build whatever method is used, but if the 'preferred method' of browsing is solely by using the controller, then I will seriously have to look at getting a controller with more 'real estate'.

Any information/suggestions are appreciated! :-)
Roscoe62 Wrote:So my question is - with CQC, is it possible to browse your media on both your display device and your controller simultaneously - as I've just described?
yep, but I haven't found a way to sync them up... ie I can browse to American pie on the Q1, and be browsed to to Queen of the Damned on the HTPC... what whatever one gets triggered will cause that movie to start on the HTPC. I haven't actually tried syncing them up, as I am not sure why I would want too, but it may be possible, I just don't know...

Roscoe62 Wrote:What are most people doing to control/browse their media?
not sure what most people are doing, but I can ether browse from my Q1,3400(if I ever update CQC on it), or my HTPC...
What you can do is just use the local touch screen (hand held or beside the couch or whatever) to drive the IV running on the big screen. That's commonly done. The IV has a control interface, so you can drive the focus around, and press buttons, and so forth, from another touch screen.

The gotcha is that you usually will want to do separate interfaces, because you don't want to use the focus stuff except on the big screen. Though, given that they are usually different aspect ratios anyway, you might want to do that for other reasons.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Yep, I figured doing separate interfaces was a given - especially, as you say, the PPC is going to be a different aspect ratio to the main screen.

I imagine I'd need to display the same number of "database entries" (e.g. the number of CD covers) on both the main screen and the PPC in order for both displays to remain "in sync" after issuing a "next page" command for example.

However, I didn't understand what you were saying about focus though. Sorry, I'm trying really hard to understand but I'm missing something there.

Also, there are probably going to be times where I'd want the PPC to be doing more than what is seen on the main screen. For example, while watching a movie it'd be disastrous to issue a command to increase the volume or turn off a light and have the main screen focus shift from the movie to a control screen. That's something you'd want the main screen to ignore. Is that possible in CQC? How would you do it?
Quote:I imagine I'd need to display the same number of "database entries" (e.g. the number of CD covers) on both the main screen and the PPC in order for both displays to remain "in sync" after issuing a "next page" command for example.

You woudln't need to try to keep them in sync. Just use the PPC as an 'uber remote control' to drive a separate copy of the IV running on the big screen. The IV can work in two ways, one is the standard touch screen sort of way, and the other is the way like you'd want to do when you run it on a big screen, where you can't actually touch what you want, you have to move the focus around just like you do in a Windows program, and then press Enter to invoke the thing that has the focus.

The IV supports this kind of focus mechanism in a number of ways, generally it's by using a separate focus image for buttons, so that the one with the focus looks different, brighter or a different color or something. So you can move this focus indicator around by just having some arrow and enter buttons on the PPC, and just remotely drive the IV running on the big screen.
Dean Roddey
Explorans limites defectum
Thanks for the info Dean.

I guess most of the time I'll be running the PPC in the uber-remote mode as you describe it. The only exception is when I'm using the music database and I may not have the screen on.

At this point it's good enough just to know it can be done.

There's probably not much point digging any further into the "hows" until such time as I start to build this thing where, hopefully, this will make more sense.

Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fibaro RGB controller pinballmark 60 33,430 07-15-2021, 02:07 PM
Last Post: zaccari
  Z-Wave PC Controller simplextech 0 2,597 01-06-2020, 05:54 AM
Last Post: simplextech
  USB ZWave Controller Configuration bobskie708 6 5,500 11-30-2017, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  RGB LED Controller NightLight 6 4,854 01-04-2017, 02:09 AM
Last Post: znelbok
  Leviton VRUSB owners: Does it work? IVB 30 10,084 07-13-2015, 09:25 AM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  ISY zWave controller IVB 4 4,042 06-21-2015, 09:21 AM
  Controlling Insteon Scene Controller buttons ellisr63 8 5,484 10-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost
  Sony DVP-CX777ES doesn't work Andre 10 4,857 02-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Andre
  Just installed 4.0 now SNMP doesn't work? SamVimes2 9 4,098 09-07-2011, 09:40 AM
  Will CQC work for me? programmergeek 7 2,922 06-17-2010, 03:33 PM
Last Post: LesAuber